Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Sep 6)

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Sep 6)...

I guess this means Verizon Wireless has officially ditched current Verizon Galaxy Nexus owners and moving on?

Is it just me or does this news make you mad at Verizon as well?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Se

Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Sep 6)...

I guess this means Verizon Wireless has officially ditched current Verizon Galaxy Nexus owners and moving on?

Is it just me or does this news make you mad at Verizon as well?

(1) It's unconfirmed.

(2) It does not mean that in the least.

(3) We have the leaked OTA right here. Flash it if you'd like, but I'm sure it's right around the corner. Verizon has and always will be slow with updates, unfortunately.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

(3) We have the leaked OTA right here. Flash it if you'd like, but I'm sure it's right around the corner. Verizon has and always will be slow with updates, unfortunately.

I already have JB on my VZ GN. No... I'm just mad that VZ doesn't seem to care that
a third-rate cell carrier like Sprint is getting OTA JB to its customers first.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Verizon is usually last when it comes to releasing updates, so it's no surprise that Sprint might be releasing before them.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I already have JB on my VZ GN. No... I'm just mad that VZ doesn't seem to care that
a third-rate cell carrier like Sprint is getting OTA JB to its customers first.

Verizon is usually last when it comes to releasing updates, so it's no surprise that Sprint might be releasing before them.

What Mr. Gadget said--it's not a matter of caring, it's a matter of how Verizon has always operated.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

What Mr. Gadget said--it's not a matter of caring, it's a matter of how Verizon has always operated.

agreed.... I guess I just feel like an idiot for sticking with VZW over the years. I was adding
up all the VZW bills that I paid for the last 10+ years.(been with them since they were still
BellAtlantic Mobile) I am embarrased to say I have paid them almost $15,000. (enough for
a nice compact car) :(

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

agreed.... I guess I just feel like an idiot for sticking with VZW over the years. I was adding
up all the VZW bills that I paid for the last 10+ years.(been with them since they were still
BellAtlantic Mobile) I am embarrased to say I have paid them almost $15,000. (enough for
a nice compact car) :(

lol damn, but I don't think my family is too far behind, unfortunately.

If the next Nexus isn't on Verizon (and it probably won't be), I'm outta here lol

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site

If the next Nexus isn't on Verizon (and it probably won't be), I'm outta here lol

Same here. My Nexus was my last two year agreement. So, if vzw doesn't get the nexus I too will bail. I'm sure so. E other company wants my four lines.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site

not sure If I would bail just for a phone... luckily Im one of those who, for the first time, find myself not keeping up with all the latest phones being released. Im actually satisfied for the first time with what I got.... planning on going the whole two years for the first time ever...after that we will see... maybe once LTE is the mainstream standard verizon will again get a nexi... one can dream...

Ofcourse if they dont get another nexi and I get forced off unlimited, then I may go ahead and switch :)

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

The *only* reason that I'm still with Verizon
is the grandfathered unlimited data plan.
I can't find any other reason to put up with
VZW's BS. (pardon my Dutch)

As long as Verizon lets me keep it, I'll probably stay with them. There are
many things that I hate about Verizon, but the unlimited data is something
I can't live without. :) My average data usage for the last couple of years
has been at least 60GB+ per month.
Without unlimited, I would probably be paying $300 or more per month.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I just had that dispute with a Sprint fella when I went in there to get my fiancee a phone. I use 7-8 gigs a month. I use my data. Why would I want to downgrade to a worse network?!

But alas...

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I was under the impression that the Nexus line will become a series or fleet of devices across all manufacturers and carriers. If that's the case, I'm sure VZW will always have a Nexus Class device in stock.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

I was under the impression that the Nexus line will become a series or fleet of devices across all manufacturers and carriers. If that's the case, I'm sure VZW will always have a Nexus Class device in stock.

It's only a rumor. No confirmation of that.

It would be great if Google could get true Nexus devices deployed simultaneously across all carriers, but the carriers don't have much incentive for allowing it. They'd much rather push phones that they can load up with their own (bloatware) services...and lock down (so they can charge for) things like tethering.

acr456

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

It would be great if Google could get true Nexus devices deployed simultaneously across all carriers, but the carriers don't have much incentive for allowing it. They'd much rather push phones that they can load up with their own (bloatware) services...and lock down (so they can charge for) things like tethering.

Confirmation here...

http://m.androidcentral.com/jelly-bean-roll-out-sprints-nexus-devices-gets-more-confirmation

Sent from my Awesome Galaxy Nexus

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

I wasn't talking about Sprint. I was replying to DenverRalphy's comment about the rumor of multiple Nexus devices coming to all the carriers. There is no confirmation of that.

I'm well aware that Sprint usually gets updates before Verizon does.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

I think that is the whole point of the data "bucket". Carriers know that we can tether faster than they can stop us. When they do stop or punish by throttling we all get ticked off. The bucket idea says use as much as you want and any way you want but it ain't free. Face palm, who's idea was unlimited anyway...@ the Verizon board room meeting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

I think that is the whole point of the data "bucket". Carriers know that we can tether faster than they can stop us. When they do stop or punish by throttling we all get ticked off. The bucket idea says use as much as you want and any way you want but it ain't free. Face palm, who's idea was unlimited anyway...@ the Verizon board room meeting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

No doubt. The carriers underestimated the demand for data and the progress of phone technology. They got caught with their shorts down providing "unlimited" data and had to regroup to figure out how to support all the demand.

Plus, they want to cash-in any way they can. Unlimited data was fine when people had feature phones that barely used any data. Once phones got smarter and more demanding, the carriers' networks weren't equipped to handle it. They had to scramble to upgrade the infrastructure ($$$$$). Sprint (and now T-Mobile) can get away with it because they have fewer subscribers. Verizon and AT&T can't afford to let all of their subscribers go hog-wild with data. Their networks would be brought to their knees. Hence, shared data plans (with caps) and subtle increases in pricing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret