Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Sep 6)

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Se

You and I are mental twins. Exactly how I think and feel.

I'm as annoyed as just about all the people who have posted here at Verizon. I was hoping the Nexus phone would provide updates quickly-hasnt really turned out that way. I've generally been a purist and have not modified the phone because I am nervous I'm going to brick or break it. TO be honest, the true power in this phone is twofold:
1-Verizon's network is arguably the best out there.
2-While their updates are so frustrating slow, you have the ability to tinker with it and flash what you want on it.

I've not taken advantage of option two-I'm serious thinking about finding out how to do this-I think I saw a guide from Dmmark somewhere and thats probably the best route. I feel like a dunce but I dont understand all the rooting and such and dont feel like setting my phone back to factory default either :) (also lazy).

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm as annoyed as just about all the people who have posted here at Verizon. I was hoping the Nexus phone would provide updates quickly-hasnt really turned out that way. I've generally been a purist and have not modified the phone because I am nervous I'm going to brick or break it. TO be honest, the true power in this phone is twofold:
1-Verizon's network is arguably the best out there.
2-While their updates are so frustrating slow, you have the ability to tinker with it and flash what you want on it.

I've not taken advantage of option two-I'm serious thinking about finding out how to do this-I think I saw a guide from Dmmark somewhere and thats probably the best route. I feel like a dunce but I dont understand all the rooting and such and dont feel like setting my phone back to factory default either :) (also lazy).

Don't Panic. Start there then read the unlocking guides. Or read them in tandem. I'll be there to help :).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

But sprint sucks though lol

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

agreed... Sprint 3G coverage is bad(but not as bad as the worst one, T-Mobile)
Sprint 4G is about as easy to find as Romney's tax returns between 1997 and 2005.
(particulary 2003-2004)

but if a sucky Sprint can manage to squeeze OTA jelly bean
out so "qucikly" what does that say about Verizon? :(

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Sprint 4G is about as easy to find as Romney's tax returns between 1997 and 2005.
(particulary 2003-2004)

That they take their time approving updates :)

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
(particulary 2003-2004)

Lol. Political references. Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

(particulary 2003-2004)

I think the real answer here is you should of went with TMobile or AT & T and got the GSM version and you would be first in line ;)

Sprint/Verizon will always hold up an update with their proprietary files and extensive internal testing.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Everything else being equal I would switch to another carrier based on how fast they give me the latest os. But you know what? Everything else is not equal. I do not base my choice of network on the speed of os updates. I base it on coverage where I live and travel.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Everything else being equal I would switch to another carrier based on how fast they give me the latest os. But you know what? Everything else is not equal. I do not base my choice of network on the speed of os updates. I base it on coverage where I live and travel.

Yup. You should see the signal comparison between my Verizon GN and my fianc?e's Sprint GN in the same exact location. That's why I stick with Big Red, at least until the next Nexus is released.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

They found them and are holding them hostage for 1 million bucks......The tax returns I am referrign too. The 3g/4g Sprint is still no where to be found. We need the guy who found the tax returns to find Sprint.

(particulary 2003-2004)

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

What are they testing????? If the GSM one works then fire up the CDMA..

I think the real answer here is you should of went with TMobile or AT & T and got the GSM version and you would be first in line ;)

Sprint/Verizon will always hold up an update with their proprietary files and extensive internal testing.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

What are they testing????? If the GSM one works then fire up the CDMA..

Your guess is as good as mine :p

Only thing I can gather is once they add in their custom/locked down proprietary files they need to test them out for a while to fix any bugs that are created. Otherwise its just a bunch of smoke and mirrors on their part in my book.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
A part of me really loves the fact that it gets pointed out time and time again by failing yet another litmus test. I hope they continue to get schooled by the other guys so that they actually start caring more about their customer.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
(particulary 2003-2004)

I was being sarcastic buddy lol sprint is the shiiii where I'm at full citywide wimax and decent 3g

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

Tmobile is looking more and more interesting every day.

A part of me really loves the fact that it gets pointed out time and time again by failing yet another litmus test. I hope they continue to get schooled by the other guys so that they actually start caring more about their customer.

slik6996

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site

So my friend has a galaxy nexus from sprint here in Vegas and he just got his update
Why did I go Verizon? Better coverage that's why. But damn these updates take forever

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So my friend has a galaxy nexus from sprint here in Vegas and he just got his update
Why did I go Verizon? Better coverage that's why. But damn these updates take forever

I just forced my fiancee's into getting it :p

xFORTRESSx

May 16, 2012
Visit site
It sucks that we have to wait for the updates as long as we do. I know it's not for everyone but I've just resorted to flashing the test build of Jelly bean. I'll say this much, it's a great update and haven't run into any problems.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

slave2theaxe

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

I guess this means Verizon Wireless has officially ditched current Verizon Galaxy Nexus owners and moving on?

'm just mad that VZ doesn't seem to care that
a third-rate cell carrier like Sprint is getting OTA JB to its customers first.

Umm...if memory serves, Sprint GNex got the 4.0.4 update before us as well...

This means nothing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12