Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Sep 6)

Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Sep 6)...

I guess this means Verizon Wireless has officially ditched current Verizon Galaxy Nexus owners and moving on?

Is it just me or does this news make you mad at Verizon as well?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Se

Quote Originally Posted by badkitties View Post
    Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Sep 6)...

I guess this means Verizon Wireless has officially ditched current Verizon Galaxy Nexus owners and moving on?

Is it just me or does this news make you mad at Verizon as well?
    (1) It's unconfirmed.

(2) It does not mean that in the least.

(3) We have the leaked OTA right here. Flash it if you'd like, but I'm sure it's right around the corner. Verizon has and always will be slow with updates, unfortunately.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post

(3) We have the leaked OTA right here. Flash it if you'd like, but I'm sure it's right around the corner. Verizon has and always will be slow with updates, unfortunately.
    I already have JB on my VZ GN. No... I'm just mad that VZ doesn't seem to care that
    a third-rate cell carrier like Sprint is getting OTA JB to its customers first.
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,062 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Lollipop" 5.0 Stock

Verizon is usually last when it comes to releasing updates, so it's no surprise that Sprint might be releasing before them.
    --Inspector Gadget

Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Windows Mobile: Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Diamond
    WebOS: Palm Pre
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

I already have JB on my VZ GN. No... I'm just mad that VZ doesn't seem to care that
    a third-rate cell carrier like Sprint is getting OTA JB to its customers first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Verizon is usually last when it comes to releasing updates, so it's no surprise that Sprint might be releasing before them.
    What Mr. Gadget said--it's not a matter of caring, it's a matter of how Verizon has always operated.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

What Mr. Gadget said--it's not a matter of caring, it's a matter of how Verizon has always operated.
    agreed.... I guess I just feel like an ***** for sticking with VZW over the years. I was adding
    up all the VZW bills that I paid for the last 10+ years.(been with them since they were still
    BellAtlantic Mobile) I am embarrased to say I have paid them almost $15,000. (enough for
    a nice compact car)
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

agreed.... I guess I just feel like an ***** for sticking with VZW over the years. I was adding
    up all the VZW bills that I paid for the last 10+ years.(been with them since they were still
    BellAtlantic Mobile) I am embarrased to say I have paid them almost $15,000. (enough for
    a nice compact car)
    lol damn, but I don't think my family is too far behind, unfortunately.

If the next Nexus isn't on Verizon (and it probably won't be), I'm outta here lol
    Thanked by:

If the next Nexus isn't on Verizon (and it probably won't be), I'm outta here lol
    Same here. My Nexus was my last two year agreement. So, if vzw doesn't get the nexus I too will bail. I'm sure so. E other company wants my four lines.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

not sure If I would bail just for a phone... luckily Im one of those who, for the first time, find myself not keeping up with all the latest phones being released. Im actually satisfied for the first time with what I got.... planning on going the whole two years for the first time ever...after that we will see... maybe once LTE is the mainstream standard verizon will again get a nexi... one can dream...

Ofcourse if they dont get another nexi and I get forced off unlimited, then I may go ahead and switch
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,062 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Lollipop" 5.0 Stock

Feels great being totally free.
    --Inspector Gadget

Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5
    Erckul likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

The *only* reason that I'm still with Verizon
    is the grandfathered unlimited data plan.
    I can't find any other reason to put up with
    VZW's BS. (pardon my Dutch)

As long as Verizon lets me keep it, I'll probably stay with them. There are
    many things that I hate about Verizon, but the unlimited data is something
    I can't live without. My average data usage for the last couple of years
    has been at least 60GB+ per month.
    Without unlimited, I would probably be paying $300 or more per month.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

I just had that dispute with a Sprint fella when I went in there to get my fiancee a phone. I use 7-8 gigs a month. I use my data. Why would I want to downgrade to a worse network?!

But alas...

I was under the impression that the Nexus line will become a series or fleet of devices across all manufacturers and carriers. If that's the case, I'm sure VZW will always have a Nexus Class device in stock.

"Some see the glass as half-empty, some see the glass as half-full. I see the glass as too big."
    - George Carlin

Woooooooooow come already!!
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,062 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Lollipop" 5.0 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by DenverRalphy View Post
    I was under the impression that the Nexus line will become a series or fleet of devices across all manufacturers and carriers. If that's the case, I'm sure VZW will always have a Nexus Class device in stock.

It's only a rumor. No confirmation of that.

It would be great if Google could get true Nexus devices deployed simultaneously across all carriers, but the carriers don't have much incentive for allowing it. They'd much rather push phones that they can load up with their own (bloatware) services...and lock down (so they can charge for) things like tethering.
    --Inspector Gadget

It would be great if Google could get true Nexus devices deployed simultaneously across all carriers, but the carriers don't have much incentive for allowing it. They'd much rather push phones that they can load up with their own (bloatware) services...and lock down (so they can charge for) things like tethering.
    Confirmation here...

http://m.androidcentral.com/jelly-be...e-confirmation

Sent from my Awesome Galaxy Nexus
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,062 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Lollipop" 5.0 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by acr456 View Post
    I wasn't talking about Sprint. I was replying to DenverRalphy's comment about the rumor of multiple Nexus devices coming to all the carriers. There is no confirmation of that.

I'm well aware that Sprint usually gets updates before Verizon does.
    --Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,121 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Was in the latest thread section and got really excited when I saw galaxy until it said nexus not s3

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I think that is the whole point of the data "bucket". Carriers know that we can tether faster than they can stop us. When they do stop or punish by throttling we all get ticked off. The bucket idea says use as much as you want and any way you want but it ain't free. Face palm, who's idea was unlimited anyway...@ the Verizon board room meeting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,062 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Lollipop" 5.0 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar_Junkie View Post
    I think that is the whole point of the data "bucket". Carriers know that we can tether faster than they can stop us. When they do stop or punish by throttling we all get ticked off. The bucket idea says use as much as you want and any way you want but it ain't free. Face palm, who's idea was unlimited anyway...@ the Verizon board room meeting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    No doubt. The carriers underestimated the demand for data and the progress of phone technology. They got caught with their shorts down providing "unlimited" data and had to regroup to figure out how to support all the demand.

Plus, they want to cash-in any way they can. Unlimited data was fine when people had feature phones that barely used any data. Once phones got smarter and more demanding, the carriers' networks weren't equipped to handle it. They had to scramble to upgrade the infrastructure ($$$$$). Sprint (and now T-Mobile) can get away with it because they have fewer subscribers. Verizon and AT&T can't afford to let all of their subscribers go hog-wild with data. Their networks would be brought to their knees. Hence, shared data plans (with caps) and subtle increases in pricing.
    --Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

I'm back to sprint after my contract expires next year. I figure their 4g network will be up to snuff by then. Verizon has a great network but its getting annoying with the forever updates.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

(1) It's unconfirmed.

(2) It does not mean that in the least.

Hmmph that's the problem with carriers and nexus devices, if you don't buy it from Google it will never be a true nexus device. That's why I skipped the gnex for the s3

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

I seriously doubt if Sprint's LTE network will ever be competitive with Verizon's, they don't have the resources. I was on Sprint for years, the bandwidth of their 3G network was 1/3rd of Verizon's 3G network. All reports on what little LTE they have say it's by far the lowest performing LTE network. The only hope is AT&T. By the time my contract ends next August I expect that AT&T will have a decent LTE footprint although I don't expect them to catch up to Verizon for another couple of years. Assuming that AT&T has a decent network I'll buy my next Nexus phone directly from Google and skip the contract. I don't want any carrier in the way of updates.
    Erckul and Anthimus like this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    Hmmph that's the problem with carriers and nexus devices, if you don't buy it from Google it will never be a true nexus device. That's why I skipped the gnex for the s3

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    The Verizon Nexus is source, part of AOSP (Sprint is not, FWIW). Regardless, I consider that more worthy of the Nexus definition than not. The "true" Nexus debate is built on subjective misunderstandings IMO.
    AppleBonker likes this.

Right day, wrong year.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast