Remind me why I went with a NEXUS

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Ensquared $4.00 a month will replace the phone no problem for lost, stolen, broker etc. 2 claims a year with a $75 deductible.. Squaretrade will costs you a few more dollars if you want a big brand insurance company, although they wont cover it if its lost/stolen.

$500-$700 phone is offset when you see you old phone on ebay. In my case I will sell for slightly more than $250 and the new GSM upgrade costs e $390 with tax. Thats about a $140 upgrade...Im ok with that number. I do this all the time with my electronics since the advent of Ebay.

In my case I could well afford the $130 a month however but why would I wanna?

Updates right away a true Google phone with no nonsense.

You still pick and choose...Ur plan is a fix for today... But when a brand new phone comes out and you want it... $500-$700

When your phone malfunctions... No instant replacement... Sit and wait for Samsung or htc..if it's under warranty if not... $500-$700

When it get broke or stolen S.O.L and I hope you didn't just buy it if that happens.....$500-$700

Hey if you can afford it great but if you can afford you wouldn't be unhappy about the $130 bill...
Hell you can root and brick a phone... If you have insurance say you lost it and pay $100 for a replacement...
Just disclosing that that life of prepaid in the smartphone world is a risky and lonely one.

Understand the service we get with a contract... It cost but it also pays...

Sent from my GS3....

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Ensquared $4.00 a month will replace the phone no problem for lost, stolen, broker etc. 2 claims a year with a $75 deductible.. Squaretrade will costs you a few more dollars if you want a big brand insurance company, although they wont cover it if its lost/stolen.

$500-$700 phone is offset when you see you old phone on ebay. In my case I will sell for slightly more than $250 and the new GSM upgrade costs e $390 with tax. Thats about a $140 upgrade...Im ok with that number. I do this all the time with my electronics since the advent of Ebay.

In my case I could well afford the $130 a month however but why would I wanna?

Updates right away a true Google phone with no nonsense.

Ok... I see that... Seeing ever time I get a new phone I get about $200-$300 for my old one on ebay.... You schooled me on insurance w/o a carrier I didn't know it was out there.... It's still a lil unsettling for me but.... I guess if it works...

Can't be mad at it.... I'm scary they can have my money until the force me off my unlimited... I'll be using my 2nd line for upgrades until then..

Sent from my GS3....

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
HTC One X/XL Jelly Bean updates tipped for October release.......

We all brought the Nexus because it was a pure Google device. Are you seriously telling me that Verizon can not get their sh%t together and get the update approved on a pure Nexus device but A&T can on the HTC One X/XL?

MrStylz

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm with the OP on this one. The delay is a bad sign for future nexus purchases from Verizon for me. Why choose the limitations that come with a nexus phone if you have to wait so long anyway? Why not choose a better device like the S3?

I have to say I much prefer stock android so that may be a bad example but the point is the same.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I like my G1 slider keyboard, but I'm also used to using WM phones and they have a soft keyboard. I've played around with the iPhone keyboard and think it's ok. The G1 has a similar screen and think a soft keyboard would work on it too. Is someone going to make one for the G1? It would be nice to not have to slide it open for everything. Anyone heard anything?

The presumes Verizon gets a Nexus. ;)

Sent from my Overly Suspicious Robotic Grouper

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Honestly it was unsettling for me also but Verizon forced my hand and Im glad they did. I could understand waiting a week or so maybe even a month for them to "test" the updates but its September now.......And then why did they lock google wallet? Lets say they have a competing service why not offer both and then we pick? The point of google is that I don't wanna be locked down. If I wanted to be locked down then I would have an Iphone. Mind you im not taking a shot at Apple becuase I like and own the computers and my wife has an iphone but when you have a Galaxy Nexus you want updates and you dont want ANYTHING from the carrier.

So we both sell our phones on ebay and get some cash towards the new purchase but the difference is I can do that whenever I want, not every 2 years. For that pleasure I also get to pay half or less than a typical postpaid phone and every time a service come out that is cheaper then my current carrier I can change. For example I have tmobile pre paid now and i pay $60 a month. I getting a Solavei SIM card today and that might lower my bill to $50 a month (if it works well in my area) with more features available than tmobile prepaid. Also, and this is the big one, if you have 3 people sign up for Solavei then your service is reduced $20 a month.......So my bill can then effectively be 0 (after 9 people)...Lets say Solavei sucks in my area I just switch back to Tmobile PPD.

I love the freedom man.

Outside of America Im not even sure if postpaid is done at all.

Ok... I see that... Seeing ever time I get a new phone I get about $200-$300 for my old one on ebay.... You schooled me on insurance w/o a carrier I didn't know it was out there.... It's still a lil unsettling for me but.... I guess if it works...

Can't be mad at it.... I'm scary they can have my money until the force me off my unlimited... I'll be using my 2nd line for upgrades until then..

Sent from my GS3....

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Honestly it was unsettling for me also but Verizon forced my hand and Im glad they did. I could understand waiting a week or so maybe even a month for them to "test" the updates but its September now.......And then why did they lock google wallet? Lets say they have a competing service why not offer both and then we pick? The point of google is that I don't wanna be locked down. If I wanted to be locked down then I would have an Iphone. Mind you im not taking a shot at Apple becuase I like and own the computers and my wife has an iphone but when you have a Galaxy Nexus you want updates and you dont want ANYTHING from the carrier.

So we both sell our phones on ebay and get some cash towards the new purchase but the difference is I can do that whenever I want, not every 2 years. For that pleasure I also get to pay half or less than a typical postpaid phone and every time a service come out that is cheaper then my current carrier I can change. For example I have tmobile pre paid now and i pay $60 a month. I getting a Solavei SIM card today and that might lower my bill to $50 a month (if it works well in my area) with more features available than tmobile prepaid. Also, and this is the big one. If you have 3 people sign up for Solavei then your service is reduced $20 a month.......So my bill can then effectively be 0...Lets say Solavei sucks in my area I just switch back to Tmobile PPD.

I love the freedom man Outside of America Im not even sure if postpaid is done at all.

You know, unlocking it and flashing seems a tad bit less complicated, particularly since you can relock and not have to deal with root or anything ;).

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Nah its not. Here the best analogy I can come up with.

My brother in law kept telling me that changing my brakes on my car is the easiest thing in the world. I might point out that he went to automotive high school so it would be easy to him. I never wanted to be bothered and when I looked online it didn't appear that easy. Anyway, I have a high performance car that eats through brakes and rotors and then the final straw was when the dealership tells me that I need new front brakes and I had just replaced my front brakes 6 months prior. They wanted $500 (Brembos)+ or something like that on top of the $1000 they had just charged me.

I call up by bro in law and tell him lets get busy. I also look online and find the EXACT same brakes and rotors for like 30% of the price from the dealer. We start working on the brakes at 5pm and I am bolting up the last wheel at 5:25pm flat.......It was the easiest thing in the world and he was right but I could not have knocked that out in 25 mins if he wasn't around. It was easy for him not would not have been for me.

So I ask all of you who saying rooting is just as easy as sneezing, have you ever changed the brakes on your car?

When you first learned to drive was it easy? Im sure now some of you could drive and roll a joint........The point is when you drive you don't even have to think about driving anymore.

How about walking, its easy now but when we were learning it was the hardest thing in the world.

You have to have the desire to want to learn about it.

Its easy if you are so inclined technologically with Android and the rooting process but for those of us who are not it not that simple. Could any and all of us get through it without bricking, I would say yes. Would I have been bothered with this 10 years ago, I would also say yes. But the older I get the less nonsense I wanna deal with, like accidentally bricking my phone! Further, I don't see why Verizon would force me to root. Just test the darn radios and put out the update. Why do we have a Nexus if that's not the case. The GS3 is a better phone. Verizon either doesn't care about the Galaxy Nexus or they have forgotten

So I decided to take my money elsewhere. A place where updates happen at the speed of Apple. I would like to thank Verizon for opening my eyes up to a cheaper, better way.

You know, unlocking it and flashing seems a tad bit less complicated, particularly since you can relock and not have to deal with root or anything ;).

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

My brother in law kept telling me that changing my brakes on my car is the easiest thing in the world. I might point out that he went to automotive high school so it would be easy to him. I never wanted to be bothered and when I looked online it didn't appear that easy. Anyway, I have a high performance car that eats through brakes and rotors and then the final straw was when the dealership tells me that I need new front brakes and I had just replaced my front brakes 6 months prior. They wanted $500 (Brembos)+ or something like that on top of the $1000 they had just charged me.

I call up by bro in law and tell him lets get busy. I also look online and find the EXACT same brakes and rotors for like 30% of the price from the dealer. We start working on the brakes at 5pm and I am bolting up the last wheel at 5:25pm flat.......It was the easiest thing in the world and he was right but I could not have knocked that out in 25 mins if he wasn't around. It was easy for him not would not have been for me.

So I ask all of you who saying rooting is just as easy as sneezing, have you ever changed the brakes on your car?

When you first learned to drive was it easy? Im sure now some of you could drive and roll a joint........The point is when you drive you don't even have to think about driving anymore.

How about walking, its easy now but when we were learning it was the hardest thing in the world.

Its easy if you are so inclined technologically with Android and the rooting process but for those of us who are not it not that simple. Could any and all of us get through it without bricking, I would say yes. Would I have been bothered with this 10 years ago, I would also say yes. But the older I get the less nonsense I wanna deal with, like accidentally bricking my phone! Further, I don't see why Verizon would force me to root. Just test the darn radios and put out the update. Why do we have a Nexus if that's not the case. The GS3 is a better phone. Verizon either doesn't care about the Galaxy Nexus or they have forgotten

So I decided to take my money elsewhere. A place where updates happen at the speed of Apple. I would like to thank Verizon for opening my eyes up to a cheaper, better way.

I guarantee unlocking your nexus will be far easier than changing your breaks. You can't change your breaks with a simple command line:
Code:
fastboot oem unlock

:)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I have changed the brakes on every car I've owned, including 3 sports cars and 1 muscle car :). I also drive only standard transmissions, so yeah. That's my personality, I guess?

More on point...

Let me put it this way, then:

I received an Asurion replacement a few days ago.

At 6:03pm, the Asurion replacement was powered into the bootloader.

At 6:37pm, the Asurion replacement finished market restore of all of my apps.

In essence, in 34 minutes, one can take a phone that has never actually been "turned on" and, for no money, no real hassle, and realistically, no great effort, can be:

(1) Unlocked
(2) Rooted
(3) Flashed
(4) Fully restored
(5) Ready to party

Now, that doesn't mean you should "have to root" or all of this stuff. You don't have to be rooted. The last time I rooted a device? My Incredible. The problem with getting into this stuff is that folks simply don't understand the difference between unlocking and rooting--it's why I created my Don't Panic guide, to be frank.

And FWIW, it appears the OTA is rolling out now. So, yeah.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Where do you type in that code? how do you get to the point when you can type in that code? What if I have a Mac?do I need a PC? you need to plug in the phone to the computer? How do install the software after unlock? Do you have to root it if you wanna install the latest os? When happened when the OTA comes do I have to reinstall the old software? What do I do if I make a mistake and brick the phone?

Anyway those aren't real questions as I know the answer to most of them. But the point is those are questions that come up. So I know in my case I could get through the process I just don't wanna be bothered.

I saw a few guides and some youtube clips but when I realized that our gsm brothers had the update back in July, that was all she wrote for me.

Cheaper and faster updates and a new phone whenever the new one comes out. Plus no need to side load the Google wallet....

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Where do you type in that code? how do you get to the point when you can type in that code? What if I have a Mac?do I need a PC? you need to plug in the phone to the computer? How do install the software after unlock? Do you have to root it if you wanna install the latest os? When happened when the OTA comes do I have to reinstall the old software? What do I do if I make a mistake and brick the phone?

Anyway those aren't real questions as I know the answer to most of them. But the point is those are questions that come up. So I know in my case I could get through the process I just don't wanna be bothered.

I saw a few guides and some youtube clips but when I realized that our gsm brothers had the update back in July, that was all she wrote for me.

Cheaper and faster updates and a new phone whenever the new one comes out. Plus no need to side load the Google wallet....

Every question is answered in our guides. Unlocking isn't for everyone and if you don't want to you don't have to. You just have to understand that Verizon makes every OTA go through the same testing, and its the price you pay for getting to run a Nexus device on their network. You wait roughly 2 months longer than the GSM Nexus for updates. C'est la vie :)

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
When I said yesterday an update was days away..... That was an under statement....... Shot out to my Verizon insider!!!!!!

Sent from my GS3....

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
When I said yesterday an update was days away..... That was an under statement....... Shot out to my Verizon insider!!!!!!

Sent from my GS3....

Joanna Stern (former of Engadget, The Verge, now with ABC) said something yesterday:

"What if Verizon rolled out the Jelly Bean update for the Galaxy Nexus at 8am tomorrow?"

She was off by 1 hour :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech