Only getting 5Gb down 4g AND Wifi, WTH

Szientific

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a strange issue. For some reason my VZW Gnex will only get about 5Gb down on 4g or wifi. I only noticed this since i started running jellybean. It could've started before and I didnt notice. I was running the first released version of BuglessBeast-jb when i noticed the problem. so then i updated to the newest version (8/7 I believe) which didnt correct the problem.

now I switched to cyanogenmod nightlies (currently on 9/8) and same thing. only 5Gb down! its like i have a speed limit. 5Gb is passable, but I want all the speed i'm paying for! I've run speed tests on my phone and ipad back to back on my home network. ipad was getting 11Gb down and the Gnex was at 5.

LTE in my area is usually pretty strong, 10-15Gb down. Home wifi is comcast cable and its never below 10. has anyone seen anything like this? I havent flashed any custom kernels or radios (maybe I need to), I just run the ROM as is.:confused:

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I think you mean Mb not Gb. Other than that I don't know why you are having this problem as I have seen over 35 Mb/s download on mine

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
. Iv been noticing very choppy connection on wifi and 4g lately. I just did 10 speed tests and on wifi showing full connection I got everywhere between 1mb to 30mb down and 5to 25mb up. The down test keep stalling out as well I'm hoping the jbta will fix some of these things when it comes. Its just weird that all these issues just started out of the blue for me. Might need a factory reset.: (

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Try setting priority on your router to high.

1) Log into your router
2) Select Applications & Gaming
3) Select QoS (Quality of Service)
4) Select MAC Address
5) Name your device
6) Enter MAC address from your phone (it can be found in advanced settings in your wifi settings)
7) Select priority of high
8) Save changes.
9) Test out difference in speed.
10) Hit thanks :)

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Try setting priority on your router to high.

1) Log into your router
2) Select Applications & Gaming
3) Select QoS (Quality of Service)
4) Select MAC Address
5) Name your device
6) Enter MAC address from your phone (it can be found in advanced settings in your wifi settings)
7) Select priority of high
8) Save changes.
9) Test out difference in speed.
10) Hit thanks :)

This will not help his issue, as he states, he gets capped on Wifi as well as 4g. If it was Wifi only this might help the issue, but thats not the case.

I have run speed tests on Wifi and 4g across many ROMs, I have never had something like this happen. This leads me to believe that your issue might be related to the phone hardware itself and not software. If changing ROMs has not helped the issue and no other solution is found due to this post i would look into having the phone replaced.

Edit: You can attempt to update the radios with this thread.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...w-galaxy-nexus-radios-installation-guide.html

But im not sure that will help either since i dont think the Wifi is updated with the new radios. I could be wrong. Either way it can't hurt. PLEASE make sure to read the directions carefully, Check Md5's, Don't pull the battery if the update takes a few minutes as well. Flashing radios incorrectly is one of the few ways you can brick the phone.

Last edited:

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
This will not help his issue, as he states, he gets capped on Wifi as well as 4g. If it was Wifi only this might help the issue, but thats not the case.

I have run speed tests on Wifi and 4g across many ROMs, I have never had something like this happen. This leads me to believe that your issue might be related to the phone hardware itself and not software. If changing ROMs has not helped the issue and no other solution is found due to this post i would look into having the phone replaced.

Edit: You can attempt to update the radios with this thread.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...w-galaxy-nexus-radios-installation-guide.html

But im not sure that will help either since i dont think the Wifi is updated with the new radios. I could be wrong. Either way it can't hurt. PLEASE make sure to read the directions carefully, Check Md5's, Don't pull the battery if the update takes a few minutes as well. Flashing radios incorrectly is one of the few ways you can brick the phone.

Humor it. It fixed the issue with my tablet and phone. No more buffering and I get over 20mbps down when I used to get maybe 6 max and a crapload of buffering in YouTube.

I also use the fa02 radios and get 25mbps down on lte. That might help with lte, but no change in wifi for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781