Horrible Signal on GNex?

upworlder

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I recently purchased a second hand Vzw Galaxy Nexus. Last night I attempted to activate the device via Verizon's online activation. All went well although I was experiencing issues after activation with my data. At first I was receiving no cellular voice or data service. Then I had voice service but no data. Then I discovered that I could connect to cellular data so long as I had my wifi turned on as well... By the end of the night, my phone had gotten to the point where it now receives cellular voice and data whether wifi is enabled or not. However, my signal strength is abysmal. I live in an area that is heavily saturated in 4G coverage but my service will bounce between 3G and 4G every so often for seemingly no reason. Where I had 4 or 5 signal bars on my old phone I am now averaging only 1.

Has anyone else had this issue? I am running ICS 4.0.4 with the latest radios, unrooted and still with a locked bootloader. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing the issue or how it might be resolved?

upworlder

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm really hoping that the new radios that are apparently holding back the jelly bean release end up solving some of these issues. :-\

In the mean time... Those threads that you've posted in your sig are enticing me to have some fun. I've already unlocked and rooted all of the other android devices I've ever used, I guess that means I'm obligated to do the same to this one! :D

Thanks!

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
If I were you, I'd reload the firmware. Start from scratch. Thats what I did with my nexus right after I got it and haven't had signal issues since. You can find directions on how to unlock your device and restore back to stock in our "rooting" section even though none of this requires root.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm really hoping that the new radios that are apparently holding back the jelly bean release end up solving some of these issues. :-\

In the mean time... Those threads that you've posted in your sig are enticing me to have some fun. I've already unlocked and rooted all of the other android devices I've ever used, I guess that means I'm obligated to do the same to this one! :D

Thanks!

See my avatar for all you need to know :).

upworlder

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Good News! I unlocked the phone (thus erasing and resetting everything again) and my signal strength has improved significantly! Root to follow later today when I have a little more time

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech