Signal fix on the way?

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I find it difficult to believe that we'll be getting an OTA that isn't an Android version upgrade at this point. Maybe they'll include these fixes in the JB OTA?

jmiesse134

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Well I have the unofficial new radios installed on my rooted device and havent had a drop since. So FYI, it should fix your problems ... Of course when it comes out.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Leaked radios did not fix everything for me. I am on my first CLN phone and will be calling soon to try another. Maybe it is the phone...

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I love my phone, but hate the signals...VZW says I have 4G coverage at my house, and I have nothing. At work I drop 3G completely, and am lucky if I can even make a phone call. Looks like a return trip to BB (before my buyer's remorse period ends) since VZW knows nothing about this supposed update, and neither does Samsung. On the bright side, if I return my device on Monday, Tuesday they will start rolling out Jelly Bean to the rest of you...Don't question it, because that is just how things work with me...

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
The new radios don't fix reception. You just won't drop 4G as much. It'll hold it longer

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I love my phone, but hate the signals...VZW says I have 4G coverage at my house, and I have nothing. At work I drop 3G completely, and am lucky if I can even make a phone call. Looks like a return trip to BB (before my buyer's remorse period ends) since VZW knows nothing about this supposed update, and neither does Samsung. On the bright side, if I return my device on Monday, Tuesday they will start rolling out Jelly Bean to the rest of you...Don't question it, because that is just how things work with me...
Buildings can interfere. Every Verizon phone that has entered has poor reception at my apartment, even though my area is included in Verizon's coverage map (and the corner of my room where the bed is is where phone calls go to die...). I also have lackluster reception indoors at work, even though reception in the parking lot is great.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Well, that settles it. Back to my old carrier for me. I work 10hr shifts at a hospital, 4 nights a week. I have to have a reliable signal. I love this phone, but the service at home and at work are beyond lousy. I signed up because the VZW map showed 4G LTE coverage at my house, and that's not the case, even outside. I live in a rural area, and there are no buildings to block the signal. We have no skyscrapers where I live; just houses..and maybe a cow or two, but not a building.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
reps dont know anything so dont bother listening to them. they know literally maybe a week before it comes out if not the day of. so asking is a waste of time because any answer they give is just what they read on the internet :p

---------- Post Merged at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Well, that settles it. Back to my old carrier for me. I work 10hr shifts at a hospital, 4 nights a week. I have to have a reliable signal. I love this phone, but the service at home and at work are beyond lousy. I signed up because the VZW map showed 4G LTE coverage at my house, and that's not the case, even outside. I live in a rural area, and there are no buildings to block the signal. We have no skyscrapers where I live; just houses..and maybe a cow or two, but not a building.

if you love the phone and want to try another carrier go for it. sprint has a cdma/lte version and if you go with tmo or att you can buy the unlocked gsm version direct from google :https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ature=device-featured&hl=en-US&token=1cCBknjK..

:D

FramCire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
reps dont know anything so dont bother listening to them. they know literally maybe a week before it comes out if not the day of. so asking is a waste of time because any answer they give is just what they read on the internet :p

---------- Post Merged at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:34 PM ----------

if you love the phone and want to try another carrier go for it. sprint has a cdma/lte version and if you go with tmo or att you can buy the unlocked gsm version direct from google :https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ature=device-featured&hl=en-US&token=J9ADB8PT..

:D

I would say the verizon reps know usually around 2 days before and usually after it is leaked by sites.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
This morning I checked my dBm and asu and they were -120 and 99 which is as high as they go towards "Suck Signal" so I went to BB and got a GS3. Sitting at home, it auto-connected to my WiFi and disconnects automatically too. If I turn it off via a widget I had to download, lo and behold, I have 4G which is almost as fast as my 30Mbps Comcast connection according to Speedtest.net. I also have a dBm and asu of -81 and 12. The phone doesn't get blazing hot if I forget to turn off my WiFi either since it disconnects automatically when I'm out of range. About the only thing I hate about this phone is Touchwiz! It's just as quick as my GN which I absolutely loved, but couldn't handle the lack of signal. The baseband on the GS3 is i535. Samsung did a fantastic job on the GS3. Again, I loved the GN, but with no service, dropped calls, etc, it wasn't a Verizon issue after all...it was a Samsung issue. When I returned it the guy said every one he's sold had been returned within the 30 day trial period. I guess that's how it is for those of us without super-strong 4G connections. Anyway, best wishes to all of you GNexers. I hope they release all the fixes very soon for all of you with issues :) The GN was the first phone I'd ever bought with issues, so I've either been really lucky, or problems are few and far between...I've had a LOT of phones.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
The GNex is a great phone, but from what I understand, the radio hardware sucks. Hopefully the next nexus will be up to par.
As far as the gs3, I'd put an AOSP ROM on it :)

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
The GNex is a great phone, but from what I understand, the radio hardware sucks. Hopefully the next nexus will be up to par.
As far as the gs3, I'd put an AOSP ROM on it :)

I'm going to when I get bored with it...

nightshaded

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I was in the same boat as you. My problem is that I live surrounded by trees, which block out the signal I guess. I'm from rural Michigan, but I will say that I used to get 50kbps with sprint's "unlimited" plan, which was beyond slow. I couldn't even load Facebook. I switched to Verizon, and got around 8000kbps.

Anyways, my 4G signal would drop if I moved my nexus over one inch while sitting on my kitchen counter. It had to sit there specifically for about ten minutes just to pick up two bars of 4G. My phone is the only source of internet I have out here in the country, so I did some research and purchased a wilson 4g-v signal booster. This thing gives me full 4G bars @ -75dBm, 20,000 kbps download, 11,000 upload, and a ping of 47ms. If you're having problems, I would recommend trying a booster out before you break a contract (assuming you are) and switch carriers. However, this might not be a practical solution for your job. My signal issue was at home only. Just my two cents.

markabele

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
The JB update seemed to help my radio a little but not a ton. What's weird about it is that only certain with certain people that I call I have the issue with.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63