Galaxy Nexus arriving tomorrow. Questions and suggestions?

robbies7897

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Hey all! I'm looking forward to joining your community! I've been running the Droid Bionic, but have been craving a Nexus device mainly because of how much I miss the open ended way Android was when I had my Sprint Epic 4G (unlocked bootloader and easiness of rooting). Back on topic!

So I purchased a relatively inexpensive Nexus with a few extras on Swappa and it will be here tomorrow before 3PM, so I had a few questions for you all.

The device has already been rooted and is running a custom ROM. Should I unroot and flash to stock before I activate it or will it be alright as is?

Also, I'd love to hear some of you guy's ROM and kernel combinations! I'm looking for something with quality radio and battery conservation, but that will still stay snappy and feel fast.

Finally, I've been reading a bit about the leaked Jelly Bean update. I was wondering how stable it is and if there are any serious bugs? Thanks guys, I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully getting active in the community. Have a great day, all!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey all! I'm looking forward to joining your community! I've been running the Droid Bionic, but have been craving a Nexus device mainly because of how much I miss the open ended way Android was when I had my Sprint Epic 4G (unlocked bootloader and easiness of rooting). Back on topic!

So I purchased a relatively inexpensive Nexus with a few extras on Swappa and it will be here tomorrow before 3PM, so I had a few questions for you all.

The device has already been rooted and is running a custom ROM. Should I unroot and flash to stock before I activate it or will it be alright as is?

Also, I'd love to hear some of you guy's ROM and kernel combinations! I'm looking for something with quality radio and battery conservation, but that will still stay snappy and feel fast.

Finally, I've been reading a bit about the leaked Jelly Bean update. I was wondering how stable it is and if there are any serious bugs? Thanks guys, I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully getting active in the community. Have a great day, all!

You shouldn't need to flash it to stock to activate, ought to be fine as is. For custom ROMs it depends what you are looking for... my general answer would be if you are looking for a mostly stock experience, go with Bugless Beast. If you'd like to see some ROMs with lots of customization options (and you should ;) ) go with AOKP or CM10. AOKP is probably leading in terms of features. And all those I mentioned are very stable and able to be your daily drivers. Battery life and signal aren't really going to be affected by the ROM, its a factor more of the kernel and your usage, signal area, installed apps, etc. I recommend franco's kernel, but there are plenty of other options. Stop in the Rooting subforum and browse around, most of your questions you'll probably find are answered already somewhere in there :)

Oh and check Zero Neck's [RADIOS] thread in there as well to see that you update to the latest radios :)

robbies7897

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
You shouldn't need to flash it to stock to activate, ought to be fine as is. For custom ROMs it depends what you are looking for... my general answer would be if you are looking for a mostly stock experience, go with Bugless Beast. If you'd like to see some ROMs with lots of customization options (and you should ;) ) go with AOKP or CM10. AOKP is probably leading in terms of features. And all those I mentioned are very stable and able to be your daily drivers. Battery life and signal aren't really going to be affected by the ROM, its a factor more of the kernel and your usage, signal area, installed apps, etc. I recommend franco's kernel, but there are plenty of other options. Stop in the Rooting subforum and browse around, most of your questions you'll probably find are answered already somewhere in there :)

Oh and check Zero Neck's [RADIOS] thread in there as well to see that you update to the latest radios :)

Thanks for the quick response! I'll definitely have a look around! Already glad I decided to join you guys! :)

Thanks again!

robbies7897

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Another question guys. How is your GPS? I remember with my last Samsung phone (Epic 4G) the GPS lock would die out after a few minutes of coming on and would take centuries to lock after a cold start. Just curious guys. Thanks :)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Another question guys. How is your GPS? I remember with my last Samsung phone (Epic 4G) the GPS lock would die out after a few minutes of coming on and would take centuries to lock after a cold start. Just curious guys. Thanks :)

No issues on my phone, usually locks within a few seconds or so.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
JBSOURCERY 2.3 for customization. Has proved very stable for me. Franco latest milestone kernel to adjust battery life & performance. 4.1.1 JRO03O radios have helped signal a little. This kind of thing is where the Gnex really shines.

robbies7897

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys! Currently running stock JB and loving every minute of it! Can't wait to really delve into the development backing this device!