Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MalachyNG
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How I fixed my wifi speed

Hey all,

I've had my Verizon Galaxy Nexus for about a week now and noticed that it (as well as my Nexus 7 I've had since July) were getting really cruddy wifi speeds. I was getting fed up with it and started searching for solutions. There are a few threads kicking around the net about GN's having bad wifi reception or poor speed. Most of the answers have been along the lines of bad router or bad wifi chip in the phone. But none had any definitive fix that I could find. I am making this thread in hopes that others might find success same as I have.

The solution, for me, was to change my wifi router settings so that it is on channel 11 and network mode "wireless-b, only" (rather than n, g or auto).

Here's an article on how to change your router settings if you happen to have a linksys router like I do:

My solution was found through dumb luck. I freely admit that my knowledge on the hows and whys is lacking but it seems that after testing every channel I was still getting really poor speedtest.net results on my phone (I pay for 20mbps down from Comcast and my laptop gets 17-20 on average regardless of these settings). I chose to change the network mode to "wireless-b, only" because I was trying to see what else might work. I chose channel 11 because I live in a large apartment complex and channels 1-6 were pretty crowded whereas 8-11 weren't. It seems the main difference for me was switching to wireless-b. Now my galaxy nexus is downloading at 19mbps consistently, youtube videos don't stop to buffer anymore and flash on newgrounds.com loads in seconds.

I hope this helps others. Cheers!
    Thanked by 2:
    Eric_L_1 likes this.

Default Re: How I fixed my wifi speed

Switching to channel 11 probably helped the most. The b radio connection speed from the phone to the router transmits at a slower rate than g (54 mbps) or n (300 mpbs or more with channel bonding). The Nexus seems to top out at 65 mbps. Try n again with channel 11.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Channel 11 on N was still bad. Perhaps I misstyped. "Varied G/B" also gives a good speed (19mbps). But anything on N is slow (1.5mbps). "B, only" also gives me 19mbps, even though as far as I know, the b standard is only supposed to run at 10mbps

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Banned

You can change your QoS (quality of service) in your router settings giving priority to your phone. That worked like a champ for me. You register your device's MAC address and give it a priority of 1.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by rufflez View Post
    You can change your QoS (quality of service) in your router settings giving priority to your phone. That worked like a champ for me. You register your device's MAC address and give it a priority of 1.
    I had already done that too. Both my nexus 7 and galaxy nexus were already set as high priority. Perhaps a mix if all these settings did the trick. Oddly enough it was changing to B and B/G that actually made any difference for me

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rufflez View Post
    Unless the router is routinely at capacity, this should make no difference... not saying it didn't, but if I saw this on an idle router, I'd be looking for firmware updates or a new one.

FO SHIZZLE

YOU'RE A GENIUS

THANKS TO YOU

THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN!

CHEERS INDEED!!!

YOU JUST MADE ME CRY, BROTHER
    East Houston Texas

Verizon SCH I535