Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Default Re: Help! Free tethering apps no longer work after getting Jelly Bean this morning...

I use SVTP and it still works after the update.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Default Re: Help! Free tethering apps no longer work after getting Jelly Bean this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by cmandd View Post
    Yes I have unlimited data and Fattin is working just fine.
    I can also confirm that this method works. Unlimited data on Verizon without a hotspot plan and can turn it on with fattin toggle no problem with no security check
    Thanked by:
    thechidz likes this.

yeah I am paranoid to update until I can find a hotspot app that works on a stock build. Enjoying Foxfi right now on ICS until I know it works on JB lol. I just need it for my new Galaxy note 10.1 while im at work
    I'd bet Cory's Right Arm on that!

I haven't updated but try this widget.

Well I think my hand will be forced soon. I am now getting the install notification like every few minutes even though i say install later.....May have to just bite the bullet and hope for the best.

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob32123 View Post
    I am using the above mentioned app...and it still works....i have an Ipad...and since IOS6 its been a little "buggy" but still works...and then JB hit my phone and it behaves the same ....

Yeah...my FoxFi is blocked (running stock Jelly Bean). Says it failed - I have an unlimited plan (how, I do not know, since they were running the 2GB thing when I signed in 2010). Anywho, I did find in some research that there is a backdoor widget - enables native without subscription check. Play Store name: Portable WiFi Hotspot Widget.

Hope this helps. I feel your stock version pain. Made me wish I had pushed off JB and just kept ICS.
    Thanked by 2:
    trailblazen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by techno_techie View Post
    Yeah...my FoxFi is blocked (running stock Jelly Bean). Says it failed - I have an unlimited plan (how, I do not know, since they were running the 2GB thing when I signed in 2010). Anywho, I did find in some research that there is a backdoor widget - enables native without subscription check. Play Store name: Portable WiFi Hotspot Widget.

Hope this helps. I feel your stock version pain. Made me wish I had pushed off JB and just kept ICS.
    Thanks! Tested on ICS and it works. Going to accept JB and pray it still does.......

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

It didn't appear on any of my home screens nor in the apps/widgets drawer in JB.

Currently unlocked but unrooted following the OTA.

It works. You rock. Typing from note right now. Foxfire is dead but this portable wifi app does work on JB. Life can continue.
    Oh and my 4G signal is exceptional now on JB so helping the wifi
    Last edited by trailblazen; 09-27-2012 at 10:55 AM.
    thechidz likes this.

I have the JB update waiting for me. I am just afraid to lose my wifi tethering ability. I have also been using Foxfi. I have a GNex from Verizon. Can I get any more assurance before upgrading, or any other advice or instructions? I am not sure I understand about using the native setting. Thanks!

I was just as afraid. I'm stock GNEX vz and found that portable wifi app and it works on JB. I did the update and works like a charm with my Galaxy Note 10.1
    You are safe upgrading. All you have to do is hit the icon on your phone and it turns on your builtin wifi.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOP97DAWG View Post
    If this is happening than im not going to update until im sure i can still use hotspot app. I use SVTP i wonder if anyone can still use SVTP after the JB uddate?
    I upgraded to JB last week (albeit flashing the official VZW version that was also just released rather than upgrading OTA) and SVTP still works for me, too.

Updated and i'm stock. Still works for me.

Love you guys for this. I was so pissed... just got a Nexus 7, tried using Wireless Tether and realized it stopped working since my Gnex (Verizon) was on JB and setting up tether through the menu and using FoxFi also failed because of no subscription. This app (Fattin) worked flawlessly. Thanks!!!
    thechidz likes this.

I'm having the same problem, it seems that Verizon has found a way to pick up the signal than it shuts down the 4-g signal!

Just download and install Power Toggles Widget it uses your native wifi and it works perfect.

SVTP, even though I get a error message, it still works!

Foxfi still works for me. Stock everything

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Unlimited data plan, unlocked and rooted GNex running stock Jelly Bean, SwitchPro Widget WiFi tether toggle works fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Unlimited data plan, unlocked and rooted GNex running stock Jelly Bean, SwitchPro Widget WiFi tether toggle works fine.

no not working on LG LUCID

no free wifi hotspot

can someone please explain
    what is stocked, rom and all this? why cant i get anything to fix this... did i miss something?

OK, I'm joining the leagues of confused non-working users...

I have a new RAZR M. Stock Jelly Bean. I'm on Verizon's Unlimited Talk & Text plan, which includes hotspot/tethering coverage. Laptop has Windows 7.

I tried the tethering & hotspot once or twice before Christmas, but I tried to use it today without much luck.

* Hotspot: my laptop connects to the hotspot almost instantly. Sometimes data gets out, sometimes not. It'll work for a few seconds and then nothing. Still connected to the hotspot but no internet.

* Tethering: when I turn on the tethering, the Network & Sharing app locks up. Sometimes the pop-up "click on the icon in the systray to see available wifi" icon is also unresponsive. When it works, it shows an unknown network and "Identifying..." Network & Sharing is still hung while tethering is on. I think (as with the hotspot) I'll occasionally get a few seconds of data, even though nothing indicates I'm actually connected to the Internet, but most of the time, nothing.

What would cause it to work sometimes and not others? Why are Win7 network apps hanging? How do I get this to WORK!?

EDIT: I thought maybe the 4G signal was too flaky here, and that was why it would work for a few seconds and then die. So I thought I'd make sure to use a wifi connection for the phone -- instead of having the phone use 4G for its network connection -- and see if the laptop could successfully connect to the tethered phone that way. I found that enabling tethering TURNS OFF the wifi. Not only does it not use wifi while it's tethered, but the wifi stays off even after you turn off tethering! Is that intended??
    Last edited by garyfritz; 01-17-2013 at 11:32 PM.

hey guys, I bought the sgs3 last week and it was running ICS stock everything fine with using foxfi to wirelessly hotspot. vzw loaded JB onto my phone yesterday and foxfi stopped working for me today. I was totally bummed but glad I found this thread I dl'd fattin hotspot toggle widget and will give it a try and post back here
    Sammy Galaxy note 2 vzw, Rooted Thunderbolt vzw, Macbook Pro 13, PS3, xBox360

Update: The Fatting widget is working PERFECTLY thus far. Thanks!
    Sammy Galaxy note 2 vzw, Rooted Thunderbolt vzw, Macbook Pro 13, PS3, xBox360
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast