Help! Free tethering apps no longer work after getting Jelly Bean this morning...

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I was speechless when I turned on my phone this morning and noticed the Jelly Bean update notification!
Needless to say, I dropped everything and started to let it update. After it was done, I was loving the
Jelly Bean goodness... even skipped breakfast!

My joy lasted less than 10 minutes. :(

I have been using the free wifi hotspot tethering apps since December and the worked great and free.

Now none of they will work. Or more precisely, they will "work" but I can't get any internet connection.
I tried uninstalling/reinstalling all these apps. No dice. Just read another post on XDA forum and
other people are apparently having the exact same issue. :(

Did Verizon finally figured out what these free tethering apps were doing and closed the loophole
in the Jelly Bean update?
:( If that's the case, how do I roll back to Ice Cream Sandwich? :(

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I was speechless when I turned on my phone this morning and noticed the Jelly Bean update notification!
Needless to say, I dropped everything and started to let it update. After it was done, I was loving the
Jelly Bean goodness... even skipped breakfast!

My joy lasted less than 10 minutes. :(

I have been using the free wifi hotspot tethering apps since December and the worked great and free.

Now none of they will work. Or more precisely, they will "work" but I can't get any internet connection.
I tried uninstalling/reinstalling all these apps. No dice.

Did Verizon finally figured out what these free tethering apps were doing and closed the loophole
in the Jelly Bean update? :(

Again, this has been posted numerous times.

You need to use the native tethering feature. So far, the apps do not work (or don't work as well as the native feature).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I received the JB update this morning and I have both Foxfi and WiFi Hotspot and USB Tether on my GNex. I have not experienced any issues connecting my Nexus 7 tablet to my GNex hotspot.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Again, this has been posted numerous times.

You need to use the native tethering feature. So far, the apps do not work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

doesn't the native tethering cost money?

oh... I never read any of the Jelly Bean threads... so this is an issue with the Jelly Bean only? :(

my other Galaxy Nexus hasn't received the Verizon update yet... if it comes, can I refuse to allow the update? :(

Thanks!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
doesn't the native tethering cost money?

oh... I never read any of the Jelly Bean threads... so this is an issue with the Jelly Bean only? :(

my other Galaxy Nexus hasn't received the Verizon update yet... if it comes, can I refuse to allow the update? :(

Thanks!

When JB first released the apps didn't work. I use native tethering. Works every time.

The user above your post said his apps work, so I don't know honestly what the deal is at this very moment. But the JB + tethering thing has been posted a lot with the same concerns you just posted ;).

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
When JB first released the apps didn't work. I use native tethering. Works every time.

The user above your post said his apps work, so I don't know honestly what the deal is at this very moment. But the JB + tethering thing has been posted a lot with the same concerns you just posted ;).

thanks! I just saw the other post above you... so I guess there must be something wrong on my end.
I have already tried the usual uninstalling/reinstalling/rebooting/battery pull tricks.... will try them a few
more times until I figure out what's going on. don't suppose I can call Verizon Wireless to ask for
tech support on this issue? (JUST KIDDING! :D )

I'm only 15 minutes away from the Verizon Wireless headquarters here in NJ... perhaps that's why
I got the update so quickly? Probably not... :)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
thanks! I just saw the other post above you... so I guess there must be something wrong on my end.
I have already tried the usual uninstalling/reinstalling/rebooting/battery pull tricks.... will try them a few
more times until I figure out what's going on. don't suppose I can call Verizon Wireless to ask for
tech support on this issue? (JUST KIDDING! :D )

I'm only 15 minutes away from the Verizon Wireless headquarters here in NJ... perhaps that's why
I got the update so quickly? Probably not... :)

They probably saw your 85 posts on it and figured you deserved it :p ;)

I kid I kid. Enjoy, it's well worth the wait!

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
They probably saw your 85 posts on it and figured you deserved it :p ;)

I kid I kid. Enjoy, it's well worth the wait!

I sure hope Verizon Wireless is monitoring these forums, but let's not kid ourselves, they are not... they probably don't care what people are saying. I once walked into a VZW corporate store half an hour away from their NJ headquarters. The manger told me: "if you install an app and it breaks the phone, it ain't our problem anymore... which is why you should add on the Asurion coverage...then you can just..."

BTW, are you saying the native tethering is FREE? Or must I add an extra $20 to my monthly bill? (I still have unlimited for at least 15 more months)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I sure hope Verizon Wireless is monitoring these forums, but let's not kid ourselves, they are not... they probably don't care what people are saying. I once walked into a VZW corporate store half an hour away from their NJ headquarters. The manger told me: "if you install an app and it breaks the phone, it ain't our problem anymore... which is why you should add on the Asurion coverage...then you can just..."

BTW, are you saying the native tethering is FREE? Or must I add an extra $20 to my monthly bill? (I still have unlimited for at least 15 more months)

Its "free" because its been hacked to work on most custom JB ROMs. On stock JB I'm sure it is not free.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

That I don't know, but I tether a decent amount. I'm also on a rom, so I'd wait for folks to chime in. I do know there was some court ruling regarding tethering, but the details of which I am unclear of.

Offbyone

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I know in ICS if you used a toggle switch for the Wifi Tether and not enable it in the menu, it would bypass the verizon subscription check. Has anyone tried this for JB?

zulu308

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
tethering is free for those w/o an unlimited data plan since Verizon lost the case against FTC. Therefore, if you are on a tier or shared plan, use the native tethering tool.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I received the JB update this morning and I have both Foxfi and WiFi Hotspot and USB Tether on my GNex. I have not experienced any issues connecting my Nexus 7 tablet to my GNex hotspot.

do you have unlimited or limited data plan?

my co-worker who has only a 4GB data plan got Jelly Bean on his Galaxy Nexus today as well.
the same tethering apps that no longer work on my GN are working fine on his GN.... I've been
searching these threads and was wondering if me having the unlimited data plan was the reason?

thanks! :)

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
do you have unlimited or limited data plan?

my co-worker who has only a 4GB data plan got Jelly Bean on his Galaxy Nexus today as well.
the same tethering apps that no longer work on my GN are working fine on his GN.... I've been
searching these threads and was wondering if me having the unlimited data plan was the reason?

thanks! :)

How about tethering widgets? I'm not rooted, flashed the leak a few weeks ago and everything still works for me. I have an unlimited plan.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

SNOOP97DAWG

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
If this is happening than im not going to update until im sure i can still use hotspot app. I use SVTP i wonder if anyone can still use SVTP after the JB uddate?

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Would someone please explain what is meant by "native tethering"?

I have been using an app, Easy Tether, to occassionaly tether. I haven't received Jelly Bean yet. I am stock and do have the unlimited data plan.

cmandd

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
So I take it FoxFi, etc don't work but toggles like Fattin Hotspot will still work? Guess I will find out after the update finishes.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Just updated. Can confirm Fattin/Hotspot Toggle still works perfectly. Stoked!

just tried Fattin and it still doesn't work on my Galaxy Nexus with unlimited.

wife's Galaxy Nexus(with 4GB, but on the same acct) got updated last night and all the previous tethering apps still work perfect.
this leads me to think that my Galaxy Nexus with OTA JB with unlimited data(also on same acct) is the reason that the tethering
apps are not working like before. :(

do you have unlimited data on your phone?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy