Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Patrick Schroedl
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Free WiFi hotspot?

So I am debating on whether to flash back to stock from bug less beast to accept the official jelly bean, but the only thing holding me back is WiFi hotspot. I use the free hotspot feature on bug less beast a lot with my nexus 7, but the only hotspot app I know of on stock is foxfi but that cannot work on jelly Bean.. are there any WiFi apps (hotspot not USB tethered) that anyone knows of that can work on fully stock jelly bean? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    1,252 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Free WiFi hotspot?

I use a paid app SVTP. It cost to buy the app but no charge for using as a hotspot. I use all the time at work. No hotspot charges since day 1.

Try using a toggle switch for the native hot spot (a widget or notification switch). It should bypass the authentication check and allow you to use the hot spot free of charge.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Stock :D

ive been using foxfi, it seems to work

never mind, the app says no JB :|

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

Fattin/Hotspot Toggle is what I use. Works great on JB

I use the switch pro app and just toggle on the tethering icon. It works. I'm using it right now on my Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus.

I've tried Fattin Hotspot and it turns on tethering but I don't know what the default password is or how to change it. please help

ROM
    Stock

Using Portable WiFi Hotspot by Taiseiko, free from the market. Once you set it up the first time with a pass word and link it to your target device, you are set. Hope this helps.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckG73 View Post
    I use a paid app SVTP. It cost to buy the app but no charge for using as a hotspot. I use all the time at work. No hotspot charges since day 1.
    +1

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts

I unrooted, restored the factory ICS, then re-rooted. BTW I had to download the latest Android developer kit and install the latest version of clockworkmod, recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.1.0-toro.img. The older version that I had been using didn't work after I did the OTA Jelly Bean update.

Started using Fattin Hotspot widget, anybody ever get charged for using it? Also, seems to run slower than Fox Fi did

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

Using over 40GB/month with Fattin, never charged. It can't be slower because it is just enabling the native hotspot. To change the password, change it in the native app under Settings-More-Hotspot Options
    Thanked by:

I have a Sprint Galaxy Nexus with JB and have tried all of those apps, but for all, after starting, after about 5 seconds I get an error message stating that it is unable to connect to the data network. Any other work arounds without root?
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Use the WiFi tether for root users app

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean

Confirmed mine still works after the jb update, no root.

I bought the new motorola razr maxx hd with jellybean. This is the only one I got to work. Thanks
    Spoken Word

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

FoxFi was fixed a while ago and works on the G'Nex just fine. Unfortunately they just made it a paid app for unlimited use. I of course still have the per update version and backup copies of the apk I made using Astro. PM me.
    It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on!

Quote Originally Posted by cj100570 View Post
    FoxFi was fixed a while ago and works on the G'Nex just fine. Unfortunately they just made it a paid app for unlimited use. I of course still have the per update version and backup copies of the apk I made using Astro. PM me.
    Just want to voice my opinion here -- I don't think it's appropriate to share APKs to old versions just because they removed unlimited hotspot use from the free version. The developers have to be supported somehow, and if you use FoxFi enough to pass their limit for the free version, you should pay for the full version. I'm a developer myself, and I'm repeatedly disappointed when I see people sharing APKs to get around paying for the application.
    Thanked by:
    murof 
    murof and ultravisitor like this.
    Spoken Word

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

Your "opinion" is duly noted. But the APK in question is for the "free" version of the app so there's no ethical grey area at all. I've never shared a paid app and never will.
    It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on!

Quote Originally Posted by Take it to the man aka Verizon View Post
    I bought the new motorola razr maxx hd with jellybean. This is the only one I got to work. Thanks
    Hi I am new here. I also have razr maxx HD and have the update ready to jump to JB but I am holding off until I have a viable option to tether. You mentioned in the above quote you are on JB and that is the only one that you got to work. If you do not mind can you be more specific what is the only one you got to work, wifi tether for rooted Users?

Thanks