Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree8Likes

Global Posts
    685 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: VZW JB Update - Battery Life Thread

This is me with 4G on all day. No WiFi, no Bluetooth. WatchESPN for about an hour on lunch at work. Playing words with friends and scramble with friends when it was my turn. Stock 1850 mAh battery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VZW JB Update - Battery Life Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1349302757371.jpg  
    @workMakin$

Bt, wifi, gps and all syncing is off. Brightness 35%, auto off. On 4g. 1 phone call and 40mins of internet browsing. No games or movies.

I get about 2 hours or so on a charge. Using extended battery. Google now is on

- - - Updated - - -

Bt, wifi, gps and all syncing is off. Brightness 35%, auto off. On 4g. 1 phone call and 40mins of internet browsing. No games or movies.

I get about 2 hours or so on a charge. Using extended battery. Google now is on

Kinda sounds like you got a bad battery.
    BlackBerry Curve 8300 < BlackBerry Storm 1 < BlackBerry Storm 2 < Motorola Droid X2 < Samsung Galaxy Nexus < Moto X
    Acer Iconia A500 < Acer Nexus 7 (2012)

And after 4 hours of no use other than uploading the two screenshots. Turned google now off. On stock JB not rooted.

If you are not using it you need to figure out why it was awake that whole first hour.
    BlackBerry Curve 8300 < BlackBerry Storm 1 < BlackBerry Storm 2 < Motorola Droid X2 < Samsung Galaxy Nexus < Moto X

Back to the same issues a few weeks ago. Using OS monitor, the "system" process is running and is accounting for 50% CPU usage. It won't stop. Battery pulls don't work. I can "stop" the process with OS monitor, but it just starts again. I have the absolute minimum running on this phone. The phone is constantly warm/hot.

If you go back in this thread, you can see it just randomely started sleeping properly. Well, no longer. I've not downloaded a THING, except App updates. Using OS monitor, none of the apps are using the CPU. BUt there it is, acting like a DUMB mother F-er. JUST killing my battery.

JB ruined this phone. PERIOD.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by dcyamaha View Post
    Back to the same issues a few weeks ago. Using OS monitor, the "system" process is running and is accounting for 50% CPU usage. It won't stop. Battery pulls don't work. I can "stop" the process with OS monitor, but it just starts again. I have the absolute minimum running on this phone. The phone is constantly warm/hot.

If you go back in this thread, you can see it just randomely started sleeping properly. Well, no longer. I've not downloaded a THING, except App updates. Using OS monitor, none of the apps are using the CPU. BUt there it is, acting like a DUMB mother F-er. JUST killing my battery.

What is running on your phone and not sleeping since the JB update?
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

Try rooting it and using a ROM and see if it makes a difference. That or try a factory reset again.

I've not downloaded a THING, except App updates.
    App updates can both fix issues, and cause them....

either start freezing/restricting apps or just factory restart and you should be good...

Also, the 4.1.2 update may help your issue, too...whenever we get it.

Had to do a hard reset. Really bums me out having to set this up all over again. What a major pain. the phone was killing battery for no reason, and today a new development. It was almost bootlooping. Yep, bootlooping. I'd get to my homescreen, but after a minute it would go to the colorfull X screen for a minute...the back to home screen...then colorfull X for a minute.

good lord, the JB update borked it. I am now in the process of re-syncing contacts and trying to get my apps all back on. Setting up cerberus again, etc. etc.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

That stinks sorry to hear about the problems. :-(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

ROM
    AOKP

Lately I've been getting pretty good battery life with Bugless Beast 4.1.2 and Francos Milestone 6 kernel all defaults I get about 2 hours and 20 minutes screen on time and it's at around 30% that's with 3G on (I turn off 4G because I don't really need it at all times) Heavy texting, like 10 minutes of calls, Some light web browsing,Some Bad piggies, MMS and some use of the camera
    No wifi btw

Edit: I do have a problem with the phone still thinking it's charging even when it's off the charger, and unless I do a battery pull the battery will drain to 60% in 15 minutes
    nothing nothing nothing
    Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Battery life is so subjective and pointless to compare, IMO. Even with screen on time you need to know their brightness setting, apps running, cell coverage, if on 3g or 4g or wifi, what you are doing with that screen on time (browsing Web vs playing games is going to make a HUGE difference), etc etc.. You get the idea.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    It still gives the most accurate battery life. If your battery is at 8% and I see your screen has been on for 4 hours, I know it is possible to get 4 hours of use out of the phone. If your battery is at 73% and all you show me is your phone has been on battery power for 7 hours, that tells me nothing. You could have used your phone for 2 hours already and have really good battery life, or you haven't used it at all and your phone has terrible standby time.

So yeah, obviously screen on time isn't a perfect representation for battery life, but it's the best we have.
    Thanked by:
    jephanie likes this.

So, I just bought this phone from third party b/c I wanted to keep my unlimited data plan. The battery life is obviously horrible, so I bought the Seido 3800mah battery. I was running stock rom and it was still horrible. It was really no better than the stock battery. I thought maybe it was just problems with the rom, so I rooted and installed CM10. Now it's even worse! I attached some screenshots of the usage, does anyone have any ideas???

VZW JB Update - Battery Life Thread-screenshot_2012-10-24-16-23-23.pngVZW JB Update - Battery Life Thread-screenshot_2012-10-24-16-23-30.png

Well just by looking at your notification bar you have tons of crap going. Plus it looks like you got close to three hours of screen time. Are you running many widgets?

I'm struggling with horrible battery life too. On average, I can get just about 45 minutes of screen time on the extended battery (40 minutes on the regular battery). I'm running bugless beast 4.1.2 and the franco milestone 6 kernel (and I've throttled the cpu to 1 ghz max).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VZW JB Update - Battery Life Thread-12-1.png  
    Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by darkprime View Post
    I'm struggling with horrible battery life too. On average, I can get just about 45 minutes of screen time on the extended battery (40 minutes on the regular battery). I'm running bugless beast 4.1.2 and the franco milestone 6 kernel (and I've throttled the cpu to 1 ghz max).
    Wow. I'd definitely have to get a different phone.

For me, the obvious battery drain is any time the phone's data radio (99.9% of the time it is 3G only as I rarely turn on the 4G radio). Unless I am sitting underneath a damn tower with 150% signal strength, the phone is burning the battery juice begging to maintain the signal. If I am on WiFi or have a strong radio signal, it isn't that bad.

In my estimation, the various stock updates have done their job and delivered a solid--stellar, even--performing device but the radios Samsung dumped in this thing are a bunch of $#it.

Sitting next to a friend who has a S3 (Big Red swapped his Nexus out for the S3, the lucky guy) and I had -100 dBM 1 asu and he had something like -93 dBm and 23 asu. He had 4 hours of screen time and 49% battery left. Even on WiFi, I am lucky to get 3 hours of screen time (which I am happy with, all things considering).

I love me some stock Android but the VZW Gnex has a major flaw--crappy radios. I can deal with the camera and the slightly yellowish tint to the whites. But the radios suck. Pure and simple.

That being said, when I can upgrade next, I'll keep the Gnex and finally try out the rooting fun to be had. But my next device will have stellar radios & battery life above all else.

My Girlfriend's Nexus4 was at 60% after over 12 hours of moderate use.. I forgot to take a screen shot but I was amazed. She gets more than double the battery life that I do. I think my battery is worst than most though because it had gotten wet a couple times. I'm planning to pick up a new extended battery with hopes of much better battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by ctechnow View Post
    moderate use
    The problem I have with this kind of description is that it is far too subjective to be a valuable measurement. The terms light, moderate and heavy can be three completely different things to any given person.
    bigdaddytee likes this.

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP (M5) Franco (M4)

I've been trying to experiment with my battery and letting it drain while it sleeps at night.. I turned off everything (All Data, GPS, Wifi, Sync, NFC) and I lost about 12 percent in about 6 hours... the next night I put on Juice Defender on the extreme setting and lost about 16 percent in 6 hours... I'm going to just try leaving 4G and GPS tonight to see what I get.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234