Jelly Bean 4.1: Queries, Shortcomings, Fixes & Tricks

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded JB last night for my Samsung Galaxy Nexus and there are a couple of questions I need help with. I am sure other queries may pop up and you're welcome to post your own.

First, is there a way (besides getting a new app) to change the color of the Google Search Bar on the home screen? The bar was blank on ICS and it's annoying grey on JB.

Second, My phone now doesn't show any notification lights. I have seen on other phones that JB shows different color leds for different notifications, but on mine the light doesn't glow at all. It did work on ICS. Any suggestions (short of getting a new app). And I have restarted the unit several times since last night.

Thanks!

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Jelly Bean 4.1: Queries, Shortcomings and Fixes

I downloaded JB last night for my Samsung Galaxy Nexus and there are a couple of questions I need help with. I am sure other queries may pop up and you're welcome to post your own.

First, is there a way (besides getting a new app) to change the color of the Google Search Bar on the home screen? The bar was blank on ICS and it's annoying grey on JB.

Second, My phone now doesn't show any notification lights. I have seen on other phones that JB shows different color leds for different notifications, but on mine the light doesn't glow at all. It did work on ICS. Any suggestions (short of getting a new app). And I have restarted the unit several times since last night.

Thanks!

For 1.. No, unless you use a 3rd party launcher that will allow you to choose whether or not to show it. But for changing the color nothing that I'm aware of. For me at least.. JB is the first time I've been comfortable leaving the search bar present (and the color doesn't bother me) as its so much more useful than ever with the new microphone for voice searches and responses.

For 2 I have no idea why that wouldn't be working. I use Light flow to manage the notification lights and haven't had any problems, fwiw.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

Thanks. Got the notification light to work. Here's my next question.

Is it possible to change the notification light color based on the type of notification? Thanks!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. Got the notification light to work. Here's my next question.

Is it possible to change the notification light color based on the type of notification? Thanks!

With Light Flow, easily :)

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

No issues, just a comment on how fast this thing is now. Super crazy fast. Just awesome what Google did here. For giggles, I ran quadrant on my locked unrooted GNex. 2195, almost 200 points higher than 4.0.4. Take it for what you will, but I'm extremely pleased with the update.

MalachyNG

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

For 1.. No, unless you use a 3rd party launcher that will allow you to choose whether or not to show it. But for changing the color nothing that I'm aware of. For me at least.. JB is the first time I've been comfortable leaving the search bar present (and the color doesn't bother me)

Oddly, if you change your background to something from your gallery the search bar becomes see-through
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

joelthemole

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

I'm not getting LED notifications for SMS or Facebook Messenger messages.

EDIT: LED notifications have returned for both apps after checking/unchecking the settings for LED and a few reboots

Last edited:

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

I am not getting LED on SMS, but am getting it on email. You may want to turn pulse notification off and then back on. that worked for me partly.

bpyoung83

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

Has anyone else noticed the keyboard doesn't seem to be as responsive sometimes? It seems that it takes "harder" presses than in ICS. Maybe its just me...

xtlgrwr

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Upgraded OTA to JB this morning and have noticed the following problem. Trying to open documents downloaded prior to this morning by going to "Downloads" in the app drawer and then using Document Viewer doesn't work. When trying to open a Word-type document or a spreadsheet-type document, I get the message "Document Viewer Failed to open." When trying to open a PDF, I get the message "Unfortunately, Document Viewer has stopped." Opening a PDF I downloaded this morning after the update works just fine. Also, I can go to a file-management app (AndroZip) and open the documents using document viewer without a problem, but after opening them that way they still can't be opened directly from the Downloads link in the app drawer. Powering the phone down and then back on doesn't help.

Anyone else experience this problem and/or have a solution?

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site

Has anyone else noticed the keyboard doesn't seem to be as responsive sometimes? It seems that it takes "harder" presses than in ICS. Maybe its just me...

Yes! I use SwiftKey and I notice this. Kind of annoying sometimes.

harleyb16

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site

How did you fix notification lights?

Also, I don't understand the difference between Google now and Google search.

Finally, I can't get either service to properly call a business. Like pizza hut. It always gets what I say perfect "call pizza hut" or "call pizza hut in Roy" but it suggest contacts instead of the business. What gives?

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

How did you fix notification lights?
initially my notification led didn't work after 4.1. I went into settings/display and unchecked the pulse light and then re selected it and it worked again, but so far on email only.

have you guys noticed that you when go into your stock browser bookmarks that they flicker now, in a bad way.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

a general comment. I noticed that the web browsing is now much faster on 4.1. Pages noticeably load faster and the phone overall performs quicker.

tboner8

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

I updated to Jelly Bean OTA about 4 hours ago. My camera and gallery won't open. Anyone have any ideas of what is causing the issue? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks!

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Anyone have a weird issue with the call screen looking like an incoming call throughout the whole call? I tried to switch to speakerphone today and it only let me swipe left or right and did nothing when I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy