Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Default Re: Jelly Bean 4.1: Queries, Shortcomings and Fixes

NYC G-Nex
    I was prompt to update to JB 4.1 last night via Wi-Fi on my Verizon G-Nex
    After I rebooted, I noticed my boot-up animation had changed from the flying Samsung colored panels, to the Google Nexus illuminated "X".
    I'm not complaining, but I did like the Samsung panels.
    Can I get the original boot animation back without rooting?

I've searched to try to find the answer to this, but am coming up empty. What happened to the desk clock in the clock menu? It's no longer available. Very cool feature removed. Darn.

Has the camera improved a bit? I just tried it and it seems faster and the pictures look sharper, although I only took a picture of my leg while I was sitting at the desk Just seems to work better.
    Anyone else notice this?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Here's a complete report on the 4.1 Jelly Bean updates:

Updated to Jelly Bean this morning. Sadly all the changes I've noticed I don't like and my Flash Games dont work anymore. Is there a way to roll back to the previous version? Can anyone help with this or point me in the right direction?

Quote Originally Posted by Darenth View Post
    Updated to Jelly Bean this morning. Sadly all the changes I've noticed I don't like and my Flash Games dont work anymore. Is there a way to roll back to the previous version? Can anyone help with this or point me in the right direction?
    It could be that the flash games you have need to be updated by the developer. My Gnex had flash and as far as I can tell it still has it because the older stock browser can still use flash. Besides flash games not working what other changes don't you like?

I too preferred the old boot-up animation. I would love to have it back also.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

i like the no BS new one. the old boot up, to me, looked like the system was struggling to start. going on and on with complex slates floating in space. as if it was a visual graph of all the crap that android had to load up before it was ready to work. the new one is simple, looks to load faster and isn't annoying!
    teffects likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rjack22 View Post
    I too preferred the old boot-up animation. I would love to have it back also.
    Meh. I actually like the new animation. It seems a little more polished. But I would have preferred that it was just a little larger, though.
    pdub73 likes this.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by jephanie View Post
    Meh. I actually like the new animation. It seems a little more polished. But I would have preferred that it was just a little larger, though.
    I love the new X. Classy imo.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

Default Re: Jelly Bean 4.1: Queries, Shortcomings, Fixes & Tricks

From another thread and it also works for our phones:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...-tricks-3.html

For those of you who really want to downgrade it is an option if you unlock you can fastboot the old stock images... check the return to stock thread... you'll need to ignore ota (you could also try themes)

If Google has removed the old stock images I believe they can still be found...

I'm guessing you'll get used to it so I wouldn't bother ( If things are weird you can reset it can help)

Chances are... you'll like this version a lot better...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Stock/Franco

anyone else notice that it takes 3x longer to boot up your gnex now? or is it just me?

mine hangs at the google screen for close to 3 min then to the nee X screen for another 30 sec.
    Devices: Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Edwill86 View Post
    anyone else notice that it takes 3x longer to boot up your gnex now? or is it just me?

mine hangs at the google screen for close to 3 min then to the nee X screen for another 30 sec.
    It should improve over time.

ROM
    Stock/Franco

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    It should improve over time.

yeah? why is it doing it? im just curious as to the reason.

the first time I booted after the JB installed sunday it was 3x longer then normal and after 3 days same long boot time.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Edwill86 View Post
    yeah? why is it doing it? im just curious as to the reason.

the first time I booted after the JB installed sunday it was 3x longer then normal and after 3 days same long boot time.
    New file system checks that occur during boot. Believe me, all of us early JB adopters dealt with some crazy long boot times. I've watched the Google splash screen sit there for 5-10 minutes. Just be patient with it and in a short time /couple boot ups it will correct itself

Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock/Franco

thanks! I was just worried. now if my radio would stop losing connection at work and taking forever to reconnect ill be good. I normally have 1x or 3g in the building at work and 4g at the back or the front near the doors and 4g outside. the other day I had it just dropped off to nothing. not even a radio reception. so I went out back and I got phone reception..that never connected. so I first turned on and off my mobile data then did a 10 min restart....and had to wait 5 more min for 4g to come up then another 2 or 3 min for anything to actually connect (good thing it was at the end of my shift I was out side for almost 20min). never had that happen before....
    maybe I should turn off GN at work?
    I have to get the wifi password from the hair salon next door

New file system checks that occur during boot. Believe me, all of us early JB adopters dealt with some crazy long boot times. I've watched the Google splash screen sit there for 5-10 minutes. Just be patient with it and in a short time /couple boot ups it will correct itself

I've been using Jelly Bean since June and have never had an extended boot time. It's always been faster than ICS.

ROM
    Stock/Franco

you know man when your right, your right! just did 2 more reboots to see ..and the last one booted faster then with ics! so after 5 boots its fine! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by harleyb16 View Post
    Finally, I can't get either service to properly call a business. Like pizza hut. It always gets what I say perfect "call pizza hut" or "call pizza hut in Roy" but it suggest contacts instead of the business. What gives?
    I've noticed this too. It seems like Google has taken the "Call" voice action away. For example, when I say "Call Joe Mobile", it will display my contact with the option to place a call. Before, it would just automatically place the call.

I believe someone posted a fix for this... I think resetting... but just using personalized recognition works...

I think they should definitely speed it up though

This might have been answered in another thread, not sure.. however, does anyone know how to decrease the font size in the notification pull down tray? It feels obnoxiously large. I was hoping for a solution that didn't require rooting or flashing of any sort.. appreciate the help!
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  

doesn't the settings>display>font size affect notifications too?

I have some issues with Google Now. At the start it was working great showing me the weather where I was, places I had searched, and my sports scores. It even picked up the fact that I was searching the Chicago White Sox a lot since they are in a playoff race with the Detroit Tigers and was showing me scores for both of them.

However now it has some issues. It has stopped showing me the weather card, even though my weather settings are set to always be on. It also has stopped showing me Detroit Tigers scores and only shows me White Sox scores. I check the sports settings and both are listed as teams of mine and are set to show before, during, and after the game. Basically the only cards it shows me now is White Sox scores and Places I am nearby.

Anybody have any ideas or is there anyway to reset Google Now?

No, that seems to affect everything BUT the notifications. I have my setting to small.. and the notification fonts are still huge.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast