Jelly Bean 4.1: Queries, Shortcomings, Fixes & Tricks

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
yeah? why is it doing it? im just curious as to the reason.

the first time I booted after the JB installed sunday it was 3x longer then normal and after 3 days same long boot time.

New file system checks that occur during boot. Believe me, all of us early JB adopters dealt with some crazy long boot times. I've watched the Google splash screen sit there for 5-10 minutes. Just be patient with it and in a short time /couple boot ups it will correct itself :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
thanks! I was just worried. now if my radio would stop losing connection at work and taking forever to reconnect ill be good. I normally have 1x or 3g in the building at work and 4g at the back or the front near the doors and 4g outside. the other day I had it just dropped off to nothing. not even a radio reception. so I went out back and I got phone reception..that never connected. so I first turned on and off my mobile data then did a 10 min restart....and had to wait 5 more min for 4g to come up then another 2 or 3 min for anything to actually connect (good thing it was at the end of my shift I was out side for almost 20min). never had that happen before....
maybe I should turn off GN at work?
I have to get the wifi password from the hair salon next door :p

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
New file system checks that occur during boot. Believe me, all of us early JB adopters dealt with some crazy long boot times. I've watched the Google splash screen sit there for 5-10 minutes. Just be patient with it and in a short time /couple boot ups it will correct itself :)

I've been using Jelly Bean since June and have never had an extended boot time. It's always been faster than ICS.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

you know man when your right, your right! just did 2 more reboots to see ..and the last one booted faster then with ics! :) so after 5 boots its fine! Thanks again!

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Jelly Bean 4.1: Queries, Shortcomings and Fixes

Finally, I can't get either service to properly call a business. Like pizza hut. It always gets what I say perfect "call pizza hut" or "call pizza hut in Roy" but it suggest contacts instead of the business. What gives?

I've noticed this too. It seems like Google has taken the "Call" voice action away. For example, when I say "Call Joe Mobile", it will display my contact with the option to place a call. Before, it would just automatically place the call.

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I believe someone posted a fix for this... I think resetting... but just using personalized recognition works...

I think they should definitely speed it up though

cohiba22

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This might have been answered in another thread, not sure.. however, does anyone know how to decrease the font size in the notification pull down tray? It feels obnoxiously large. I was hoping for a solution that didn't require rooting or flashing of any sort.. appreciate the help!

jon.bartik

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I have some issues with Google Now. At the start it was working great showing me the weather where I was, places I had searched, and my sports scores. It even picked up the fact that I was searching the Chicago White Sox a lot since they are in a playoff race with the Detroit Tigers and was showing me scores for both of them.

However now it has some issues. It has stopped showing me the weather card, even though my weather settings are set to always be on. It also has stopped showing me Detroit Tigers scores and only shows me White Sox scores. I check the sports settings and both are listed as teams of mine and are set to show before, during, and after the game. Basically the only cards it shows me now is White Sox scores and Places I am nearby.

Anybody have any ideas or is there anyway to reset Google Now?

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
When playing audio over Bluetooth, a little toggle appears to let you play sound from the phone while still connected. I've seen it in the Music and YouTube apps. Nice little touch.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Jelly Bean 4.1: Queries, Shortcomings, Fixes & Tricks

everything BUT the notifications
sorry, i should have tested it before commenting.

I have some issues with Google Now.
I have google now turned off for now. I don't like my phone to keep pinging me, unless I have a call, email, vm or text. :)

---------- Post Merged at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:19 AM ----------

Now when taking video you can touch the screen to take a picture.
I haven't used the stock camera for a very long time. I use CameraZoom because it has anti shake, which is the most important feature for a very jittery SGN. SGN is the blurry cam queen, even in moderate day light. I also use HDR app. but I am glad to read that they have worked on the stock camera.

Also if i slide the screen unlock to the left (camera) I get a pop up option for which camera app I want to launch, stock, Zoom or HDR which is really a nice new feature.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
sorry, i should have tested it before commenting.

I have google now turned off for now. I don't like my phone to keep pinging me, unless I have a call, email, vm or text. :)

---------- Post Merged at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:19 AM ----------

I haven't used the stock camera for a very long time. I use CameraZoom because it has anti shake, which is the most important feature for a very jittery SGN. SGN is the blurry cam queen, even in moderate day light. I also use HDR app. but I am glad to read that they have worked on the stock camera.

Also if i slide the screen unlock to the left (camera) I get a pop up option for which camera app I want to launch, stock, Zoom or HDR which is really a nice new feature.

Yeah I use HDR most of the time. Have Zoom also but never even thought about using it for video.

Tapatalk mofo

rlhammon

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
How did anyone get a camera app to work on JB? My stock camera app acts like it's taking pictures by swiping an image to the side, but nothing appears in the gallery anymore. When I try HDR it takes the pictures, decodes them, lets me apply settings, but is "unable to save" is the error dialog box I get.

Would be nice that things work, especially when I was counting on using this all weekend long, only to find out on the first attempted use it doesn't work. I've reset the phone multiple times over the past few days since my JB update (Saturday night, so almost a week now).

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Now when taking video you can touch the screen to take a picture. Did know this was on JB.

Well there you go. But you can do time lapse. Shows you how much I use it LOL

Tapatalk mofo

You could take a photo while shooting video in ICS, actually. And I'm pretty sure time-lapse was also there, but I'm not positive -- I used Camera ICS+ before the upgrade, and that had the time lapse feature.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
You could take a photo while shooting video in ICS, actually. And I'm pretty sure time-lapse was also there, but I'm not positive -- I used Camera ICS+ before the upgrade, and that had the time lapse feature.

ICS always had time lapse but not taking a picture while taking video

Tapatalk mofo

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
ICS always had time lapse but not taking a picture while taking video

Tapatalk mofo
Ics let you take pics from a video. I have done it many times. The Animation was nonexistent for notifying that a picture was taken though . The boarder just turns red. Same as with jb.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85