Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Jelly Bean 4.1: Queries, Shortcomings, Fixes & Tricks

I downloaded JB last night for my Samsung Galaxy Nexus and there are a couple of questions I need help with. I am sure other queries may pop up and you're welcome to post your own.

First, is there a way (besides getting a new app) to change the color of the Google Search Bar on the home screen? The bar was blank on ICS and it's annoying grey on JB.

Second, My phone now doesn't show any notification lights. I have seen on other phones that JB shows different color leds for different notifications, but on mine the light doesn't glow at all. It did work on ICS. Any suggestions (short of getting a new app). And I have restarted the unit several times since last night.

Thanks!
    Last edited by SHIVA77; 09-26-2012 at 12:03 AM.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: Jelly Bean 4.1: Queries, Shortcomings and Fixes

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVA77 View Post
    I downloaded JB last night for my Samsung Galaxy Nexus and there are a couple of questions I need help with. I am sure other queries may pop up and you're welcome to post your own.

First, is there a way (besides getting a new app) to change the color of the Google Search Bar on the home screen? The bar was blank on ICS and it's annoying grey on JB.

Second, My phone now doesn't show any notification lights. I have seen on other phones that JB shows different color leds for different notifications, but on mine the light doesn't glow at all. It did work on ICS. Any suggestions (short of getting a new app). And I have restarted the unit several times since last night.

Thanks!
    For 1.. No, unless you use a 3rd party launcher that will allow you to choose whether or not to show it. But for changing the color nothing that I'm aware of. For me at least.. JB is the first time I've been comfortable leaving the search bar present (and the color doesn't bother me) as its so much more useful than ever with the new microphone for voice searches and responses.

For 2 I have no idea why that wouldn't be working. I use Light flow to manage the notification lights and haven't had any problems, fwiw.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks. Got the notification light to work. Here's my next question.

Is it possible to change the notification light color based on the type of notification? Thanks!

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Thanks. Got the notification light to work. Here's my next question.

Is it possible to change the notification light color based on the type of notification? Thanks!
    With Light Flow, easily

shastrich2005 likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

but are there options in stock JB to manipulate the indicator light?

No issues, just a comment on how fast this thing is now. Super crazy fast. Just awesome what Google did here. For giggles, I ran quadrant on my locked unrooted GNex. 2195, almost 200 points higher than 4.0.4. Take it for what you will, but I'm extremely pleased with the update.
    Thanked by:
    SD1_Mark1 likes this.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

but are there options in stock JB to manipulate the indicator light?
    Nope, that hasn't been an option in any stock version of Android that I'm aware of.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    For 1.. No, unless you use a 3rd party launcher that will allow you to choose whether or not to show it. But for changing the color nothing that I'm aware of. For me at least.. JB is the first time I've been comfortable leaving the search bar present (and the color doesn't bother me)

Oddly, if you change your background to something from your gallery the search bar becomes see-through
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I'm not getting LED notifications for SMS or Facebook Messenger messages.

EDIT: LED notifications have returned for both apps after checking/unchecking the settings for LED and a few reboots
    Last edited by joelthemole; 09-25-2012 at 06:20 PM.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I am not getting LED on SMS, but am getting it on email. You may want to turn pulse notification off and then back on. that worked for me partly.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

dingy grey soft keys...blah.... i miss my blue....

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Has anyone else noticed the keyboard doesn't seem to be as responsive sometimes? It seems that it takes "harder" presses than in ICS. Maybe its just me...

Upgraded OTA to JB this morning and have noticed the following problem. Trying to open documents downloaded prior to this morning by going to "Downloads" in the app drawer and then using Document Viewer doesn't work. When trying to open a Word-type document or a spreadsheet-type document, I get the message "Document Viewer Failed to open." When trying to open a PDF, I get the message "Unfortunately, Document Viewer has stopped." Opening a PDF I downloaded this morning after the update works just fine. Also, I can go to a file-management app (AndroZip) and open the documents using document viewer without a problem, but after opening them that way they still can't be opened directly from the Downloads link in the app drawer. Powering the phone down and then back on doesn't help.

Anyone else experience this problem and/or have a solution?
    shastrich2005 likes this.

Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock for now.

Quote Originally Posted by bpyoung83 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed the keyboard doesn't seem to be as responsive sometimes? It seems that it takes "harder" presses than in ICS. Maybe its just me...

Yes! I use SwiftKey and I notice this. Kind of annoying sometimes.

How did you fix notification lights?

Also, I don't understand the difference between Google now and Google search.

Finally, I can't get either service to properly call a business. Like pizza hut. It always gets what I say perfect "call pizza hut" or "call pizza hut in Roy" but it suggest contacts instead of the business. What gives?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

How did you fix notification lights?
    initially my notification led didn't work after 4.1. I went into settings/display and unchecked the pulse light and then re selected it and it worked again, but so far on email only.

have you guys noticed that you when go into your stock browser bookmarks that they flicker now, in a bad way.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

a general comment. I noticed that the web browsing is now much faster on 4.1. Pages noticeably load faster and the phone overall performs quicker.
    Thanked by:
    shastrich2005 and SD1_Mark1 like this.

I updated to Jelly Bean OTA about 4 hours ago. My camera and gallery won't open. Anyone have any ideas of what is causing the issue? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks!

ROM
    Stock

Anyone have a weird issue with the call screen looking like an incoming call throughout the whole call? I tried to switch to speakerphone today and it only let me swipe left or right and did nothing when I did.
    Galaxy Nexus ^_^

Re Document Viewer-- I have the same problem. With JB, when I try to open PDFs, I get messages that the document viewer either "has stopped" or "failed to open." Glad to hear it works with newly downloaded files, though.

Is there anyway at all to uninstall this? I hate it so much!!!! I miss my pull down notification thingy that i use to have. this one sucks and is so ugly also i hate the way screens pop up now, its just not pleasant. I hate it so much ( anyway to fix any of the problems? especially with the pull down notifications... thats what bothers me the most.

Anyone know how to get the keyboard to display punctuation? In ICS, after every space, punctuation would display in hte predictive text area, but no more. What gives? now I have to hold down the period to get the correct punctuation?

Any advice?

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by dcyamaha View Post
    Anyone know how to get the keyboard to display punctuation? In ICS, after every space, punctuation would display in hte predictive text area, but no more. What gives? now I have to hold down the period to get the correct punctuation?

Any advice?
    Keyboard issue/ change in JB
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

General comment. Make sure to restart your phone after the 4.1 install. Many quirks go away with a restart.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast