Need help/advice...Get GS3 or Gnex/Nexus 7??

apbjur

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys, so I am going crazy with my old beatup Droid X that hardly works. I am ready for a new phone. I have been struggling with either getting a GS3 or Gnex. I also would like a Nexus 7 tablet as it would be my first ever tablet. I don't think I can wait any longer for a phone. Right now I can get a Gnex .97 cents with an upgrade to my Verizon plan or a GS3 for $148. If I get the GS3, I will probably have to wait closer to Christmas time for the Nexus 7. If I get the Gnex, I probably will have enough extra spending money to get it next month.

I don't get new phones often, just usually 2 years when I can upgrade. I don't plan on hacking much but who knows, I often get curious and start messing with things. I want my phone to last me as long as possible and keep up tech wise. So input? Go with GS3 and wait a bit on the tablet or go for Gnex and get tablet sooner? Is there a major advantage with the tech specs of GS3 lasting longer for me? Is there better benefits from having both Nexus devices? Is the camera bad on the Gnex? I have looked into this stuff but still can't make up my mind lol.

Thanks in advance!

Illmusiq

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
If you plan on rooting the gs3 can do everything the gnex can do, with more power and, as you said,a more future proof package. If not, gnex will be officially supported longer

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I know a lot of people would say gs3 is better but in my opinion having the gnex and a few friends with the gs3 I would choose the gnex because 1) I Dont like touch wiz 2) you will have the newest android and keep getting updates for longer 3) although the gs3 has better specs I didn't notice any difference. But I will say the camera on the gs3 is way better. I Dont think my camera on my gnex is terrible but not close to as good as the gs3.

Android central did a great post comparing the gs3 the gnex and the one x.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I would get the GN and Nexus 7 myself. No way you can beat the GN for pretty much free, and they will both being running the same OS pretty much the whole time you have them.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
The Galaxy Nexus for a buck is a heck of a deal. With Jelly Bean, this thing flies. I can't imagine the GSIII running any faster. The GNEX will be supported longer, but not by much. Just look at how Samsung still supports the other 2 previous "gs"

I know 2 people with the GSIII and they love it. But when I show them my Nexus with Jelly Bean, they can't believe how fast it runs. The good thing for you, it seems, is you can't make the "wrong" decision. The Gnex is a great device. The GSIII is amazing. And the Nexus 7 is a beast. I love mine. I'm just glad to see that the iturd 5 is not one of your choices lol.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Root the GS3 and run a stock ROM. Same OS experience, superior hardware (not just the camera and processor, but the 4G antenna and battery life are better; and although some disagree, I prefer the GS3 screen). And at that screen size, I doubt you'll see much need for a tablet. With my *beloved* GNex, I don't see any need for a Nexus 7 or any other tablet.

I love love love the GNex, but a GS3 on a vanilla ROM is basically guaranteed to be a superior experience.

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Root the GS3 and run a stock ROM. Same OS experience, superior hardware (not just the camera and processor, but the 4G antenna and battery life are better; and although some disagree, I prefer the GS3 screen). And at that screen size, I doubt you'll see much need for a tablet. With my *beloved* GNex, I don't see any need for a Nexus 7 or any other tablet.

I love love love the GNex, but a GS3 on a vanilla ROM is basically guaranteed to be a superior experience.

You can run vanilla android on the gs3? Does it run it just fine with out any bugs?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I loved my GNex...Pure Android is nice. My reception sucked, and I had a bad phone. If the reception was better, I would have stayed with the GNex. Many of them have poor reception from what I've read on here and on the Internets though, so do some research, especially in your area.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the gnex and nexus7 combo and you just can't go wrong with it. I dislike touch wiz but that's just me. Don't get me wrong the gs3 is a nice device I just think for the most bang for your buck i would grab a gnex and a nexus 7.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Are the customization available for the GSIII like the GNex roms(AOKP & CNA? I really like the notification bar tweaks, pin quick unlock and lock screen before the security screen. Little things but make life easier. I love the GNex but is the radio really better on the GSIII? I am on my 1st CLN and the radio is so much worse than my original...

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok guys, so I am going crazy with my old beatup Droid X that hardly works. I am ready for a new phone. I have been struggling with either getting a GS3 or Gnex. I also would like a Nexus 7 tablet as it would be my first ever tablet. I don't think I can wait any longer for a phone. Right now I can get a Gnex .97 cents with an upgrade to my Verizon plan or a GS3 for $148. If I get the GS3, I will probably have to wait closer to Christmas time for the Nexus 7. If I get the Gnex, I probably will have enough extra spending money to get it next month.

If I were in the OP's situation, I would probably wait for the Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol