1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Music and Pictures on sdcard are gone

I received the JB update the first weekend. Didn't really notice too much as I was messing with Google Now for a few days. But by Monday I realized my music app (PlayerPro) was missing all my mp3's on the sdcard. Of course the files are still there, but it's not recognizing them. So I opened Google Play Music and it too didn't find any songs on sdcard.
    Add to that, my Gallery now only shows my Picasa synced albums, not any pictures taken with the camera 3 days before that are on the sdcard.

I followed the PlayerPro dev's advice and cleared media memory to perform a rescan, but it hasn't worked for music or Gallery.

I noticed in my internal storage there is now a /sdcard/ and a /storage/sdcard0/. The sdcard0 is basically a shortcut to /sdcard/. All my mp3 files are in /sdcard/Music/. I made sure I don't have a .nomedia in my /sdcard/Music/ folder, btw.

Anybody else seeing some of there media disappearing after the update?

Thanks

Default Re: Music and Pictures on sdcard are gone

By any chance, is "Media" a heavy-hitter on your battery stats?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

MediaServer is at 8% and Media is now at 7%. Both apps had much higher percentages 1 hour ago.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Update: because I cleared all media data, I had to re-establish some notifications and ringtones apparently. So when I added those ringtones in the respective app settings, those small mp3 files are now the only 2 files in my music player.

You cleared all media data? You mean in Media Storage? That should trip a rescan, but at least on ICS that sometimes took a reboot. You should also clear data from Gallery.

You can try to force a rescan using something like Extended Controls -- they have a widget that launches the media scanner.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I tried the Rescan app and got nothing.
    And I cleared the Media Storage and cache from Gallery with no change. Media Storage appears stuck at 12.99Mb.
    I've rebooted several times and then let it sit over night too.

Bizarre.

Does it pick up new files? Can you copy over or buy a new track and see if that shows up?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Okay, so I copied a single music file from my Dropbox using ES File Explorer and dropped it into the default Downloads folder. Sure enough, the music app picked it right up. So I guess I can't copy/paste from a PC to the sdcard/Music? Weird.

Also, I have almost 100 pictures in the DCIM folder that my Gallery app doesn't recognize. So I take a single photo and, lo and behold, it shows up in the Gallery. But what about all my other pictures. And my music?

I already completely moved ALL songs off and then put them back on once already and it took several hours to copy them all! ARGH! I guess I'll try Rescan again and that other rescan app you mentioned.

What might try is renaming the folders that these are in. That might be enough to get the scanner to pick them up.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

That appears to solve it. I renamed my Music folder to MyMusic and the rescan kicked in so I've got my music back. Why it needed to do that is interesting, but it's working none the less.
    Now, should I rename my DCIM to MyDCIM to get my pictures back in my Gallery?

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP (M5) Franco (M4)

Ugh.. This happened to me when I installed JellyBean, all my photos didn't show up in the gallery, so I had to re-flash another Rom. If you aren't unlocked and rooted, I don't know how to help