10 Ways Android still beats the new iPhone 5

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
whats the big deal about what phone is better? we all have our own preferences. use what you want to use and what you are comfortable using. i buy android because i dont buy into the apple hype machine. their hardware is stellar, but their software is so boring to me. i LOVE change. i dont want to be stuck with only changing the wallpaper, and the home screen app locations. i want to change anything i dont like about the OS....android lets me do that. doesn't mean android is a better OS than apple, it just has some advantages that apple doesn't have....and they have advantages that android doesn't.

c_hack

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Many of us have iPhones and Android phones and visit both forums.

Stability is definitely and area where iPhone has a huge advantage. I haven't had my 4s crash in 11 months of use. On the other hand, I owned a DX2 that crashed almost every days. The Droid Incredible 2's in the family fare better though.

As the person who plays tech support for my family, I know that over the past 3 years (since the OG) 90+% of problems have been with Android phones (crashes, SMS failures, runaway apps, mysterious battery drain, boot loops (had to finally do a factory reset on my Acer 500), etc...

The iPhone screens may not be as exciting without widgets and live wallpaper, but the phones just work.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
My epic hasn't crashed either and is as smooth if not smoother than my brothers ip4s and ive seen his crash twice trying to multitask like big bro haha. And of course it works its the same os give or take a few features from 2009 lol doesn't take much power to keep icons on a screen :D

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy Nexus hasn't crashed since I owned it, now for about 10 months. What's up with all this Apple Zombie comments. iPhone has been the butt of jokes since it came out. The only "phone" that you couldn't actually make calls on. I was on a trip with a friend of mine, he was on iPhone and I was on a windows phone. For most of the trip he had to borrow my phone to 1) make calls and 2) send Txt. Can you say iPhoney!!!!

c_hack

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
You only have to look at this very Nexus forum to see all the problems with Nexus reception and crashing problems. There are very few of those problems reported on the iMore forums. JB seems to have improved reception a LOT, but a lot of random reboots are being reported. Its just the nature of having an OS that allows any app, vs one that is more locked down like iOS.

You have obviously never used an iPhone, and obviously speak from ignorance. The iPhone 4s and 5 have much better reception than most Samsung phones and about equal to the average HTC. Motorola phones have typically had the best reception.

Hopefully other phone users look at phones intelligently (unlike yourself).

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
You only have to look at this very Nexus forum to see all the problems with Nexus reception and crashing problems. There are very few of those problems reported on the iMore forums. JB seems to have improved reception a LOT, but a lot of random reboots are being reported. Its just the nature of having an OS that allows any app, vs one that is more locked down like iOS.

You have obviously never used an iPhone, and obviously speak from ignorance. The iPhone 4s and 5 have much better reception than most Samsung phones and about equal to the average HTC. Motorola phones have typically had the best reception.

Let's take it easy with any personal remarks. Thanks :).

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
whats the big deal about what phone is better? we all have our own preferences. use what you want to use and what you are comfortable using. i buy android because i dont buy into the apple hype machine. their hardware is stellar, but their software is so boring to me. i LOVE change. i dont want to be stuck with only changing the wallpaper, and the home screen app locations. i want to change anything i dont like about the OS....android lets me do that. doesn't mean android is a better OS than apple, it just has some advantages that apple doesn't have....and they have advantages that android doesn't.

Why is it important to you that others love the iPhone? It's not important to me that you love, or even care, about the Gnex.

Methinks you're trying too hard to make your point.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone zombies, man they are so insecure. I call them Mac-Taliban. The guy claims I never tried the iPhone, even though I explained in detail that my buddy's iPhone wasn't working the whole time we were on a trip and it was just last summer, before I got my SGN, I was on my HTC and he was on a iPhone 4. Couldn't get reception. The iPhone has been around for 6 years, it's the butt joke of every intelligent, knowledgeable person and still there are people so insecure that they have to associate themselves with their phones to gain any grain of personal dignity. Disgusting! Apple zombies disgust me! :)

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
hahaha I found this funny... I don't trust fox news with anything cause I feel like they are just one sided and tells you what they want you to hear. but I think I will show this to my iphone friends cause they keep telling me I should get an Iphone but I don't want one... I like my freedom

I don't trust any of the news networks, whether they CBS, the assortment of NBC news stations, ABC, CNN, Fox, or etc. Each of them have their own agenda's and biases.

- - - Updated - - -

Not true! The reception I get on my S3, Verizon Galaxy Nexus and the reception on the iPhone 5 are comparable.

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone zombies, man they are so insecure. I call them Mac-Taliban. The guy claims I never tried the iPhone, even though I explained in detail that my buddy's iPhone wasn't working the whole time we were on a trip and it was just last summer, before I got my SGN, I was on my HTC and he was on a iPhone 4. Couldn't get reception. The iPhone has been around for 6 years, it's the butt joke of every intelligent, knowledgeable person and still there are people so insecure that they have to associate themselves with their phones to gain any grain of personal dignity. Disgusting! Apple zombies disgust me!

Apple has more dedicated fans (i-phans? :)) than most, who do seem to want to overlook the shortcomings in Apple mobile devices.(I guess anyone vould want to feel like they own the perfect phone)

That being said: to many users (not just apple fanatics) whether new or advanced techie or otherwise, the iPhone is a well built high end smartphone with a great user experience.

Despite the complaints many of these iPhone users have about dealing with frustrating phone issues... it's still no "butt joke" to them. And even in spite of their frustrating tendencies towards suing rivals, Apple still has a reputation for quality,and many feel that Iphones more than live up to this reputation.

Technology is a work in progress, all I'm saying is that many "intelligent knowledgeable people" ,including Android lovers, feel that, though the iPhone may be far from perfect, it's certainly no "butt joke"

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

habanophile

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, I've never had an issue with reception on the G-Nex. Regardless of what phone you have, it's all about area coverage of your carrier.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site

I've had better download speeds and fewer in call disturbances on my iPhone 5 than I've had with my Gnex. It's very plain Jane as far as I'm concerned. I prefer what Google is doing with Android. But damn if this thing doesn't get a great signal. And awesome battery life. Forty eight hours and still at 30%. Granted that's with modest use but I can't get more than 16 to 20 on myGnex. Just wish this thing had widgets.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, I've never had an issue with reception on the G-Nex. Regardless of what phone you have, it's all about area coverage of your carrier.

I've wondered this. When the Gnex first dropped VZW was nowhere near what it is today with coverage. And it seems like the day this phone (iphone5) came out my speeds doubled. I did a side by side speed test and they were about the same, but sometimes the iphone was twice as fast. It seems like the iPhone has better call quality too. To my ears anyway.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I've wondered this. When the Gnex first dropped VZW was nowhere near what it is today with coverage. And it seems like the day this phone (iphone5) came out my speeds doubled. I did a side by side speed test and they were about the same, but sometimes the iphone was twice as fast. It seems like the iPhone has better call quality too. To my ears anyway.

That's because you just bought it...it's called a placebo effect:). We've seen quite the opposite in my office "vs" the iphone5, but we're all rooted/rom'd beast gnexii. That said, for the most part they're happy with their purchases as it seems you are. So good for them and good for you. It's worth noting I noticed a lot of iphone5 were actually 3gs or 4 upgrades. Only the "must have the newest iphone" crowd here, which is at least a few, felt it was enough to ditch their 4s. Apples maps has some of them furious as a lot travel often for business. "Ready to leave Apple" I hear occasionally, which is defiitely a new one for this particalar crowd since the BBs were peeled from their hands lol.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've had better download speeds and fewer in call disturbances on my iPhone 5 than I've had with my Gnex. It's very plain Jane as far as I'm concerned. I prefer what Google is doing with Android. But damn if this thing doesn't get a great signal. And awesome battery life. Forty eight hours and still at 30%. Granted that's with modest use but I can't get more than 16 to 20 on myGnex. Just wish this thing had widgets.
I get about 12 to 14 hours out of my iPhone 5.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Why is it important to you that others love the iPhone? It's not important to me that you love, or even care, about the Gnex.

Methinks you're trying too hard to make your point.
methinks you missed my point completely.
its not important to me that others love the iphone.....thats why i said "use what you want and what you are more comfortable using"
I dont think or even care that is not important to you that i like the Gnex. again "use what you want"
thats all i was saying, who cares what phone or OS is better....its a PHONE. use what you want to use and dont worry about what anyone else is saying.

Lisa Howell

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have all I could want in my Note 2.. nuff said!! When I look at an I phone all I can see is the pathetically small screen and don't want it. My Note still fits in my pocket and had virtually taken the place of my tablet on the road.

ctt1wbw

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
So everyone has their hand lotion and kleenex out now? Feel better?

So we are to believe that Android was the first to have everything, including NFC, which you can't really use anywhere? Gas stations had NFC payment methods years before the Android kernel was written down. I use both Android and iOS and I can tell you that some features are missing, like the Find My Phone feature, or proper backups, or badge notifications supported out of the box. Not everyone likes widgets on their home screen. And the notification system on iOS in my opinion is still superior to Android. You can select the notification settings on an app per app basis to show you a pop up window, a notification bar, or both, or nothing at all. And I think we all agree that battery management is better on iOS than it is on Android, otherwise a removeable battery wouldn't be a huge selling point on Android phones.

Another sticking point is that if your Android device gets hosed, there's no application you use on the desktop to download the latest Android kernel and install it on your device, like you can with iTunes and iOS. Otherwise, my 3 month old Nexus 7 wouldn't have had to been replaced by Google because it's bricked hard. I've never had to replace any Apple product, ever for any reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci