Switch to Nexus from MAXX... Am I crazy?

maxcaos

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'd use both phones that's what's nice about the 4g sim card you can root and ROM on the nexus all day and when u want switch back to your maxx just put the sim card and go it only takes about 1 min to switch phones or use it in WiFi mode like a mini tablet, MP3 player and what ever else you want there's lots of options

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Well I got the Nexus at 10am. 5 hours later at moderate use, the (Extended) battery is dead. I also had complains regarding speakerphone, which is why I got rid of my last 2 Samsung phones. Even though I hate AMOLED, the screen is much nicer than my MAXXs.

Jellybean is quick & smooth, much smoother than ICS...but its not iOS smooth...its just not.

I dunno Captain...this isn't looking super promising.

I haven't ROM'd my MAXX partially because I don't see the point in a broken ROM. I hear the Black Widow ROM is probably the best, but the MMS and front Camera are not working. I don't care about the front camera, but I have to have MMS...This isn't an iPhone from 2007.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I came to Maxx from nexus, no regrets. I don't think you'll find going to Nexus from Max to be advantageous. You'll kick yourself when you look at battery life for the first time with the Nexus. Nothing really exciting with the plain-vanilla android system. That's not a move I would make.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Actually, if I were you, I would stick with the MAXX, wait a month, and get the next Nexus phone.
That's the plan. If it's made by HTC and has a 5" screen, 1080 screen & 2500mah battery like the rumors suggest, I'll be happy.

I'm not a fan of AMOLED at all. While the Galaxy Nexus screen is tolerable (barely), it is far from my preferred screen choice...which is on the One X & EVO LTE. I just wish the MAXX HD wasn't going to use AMOLED.

Next Nexus...please be awesome.

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I've had almost the opposite experience! My Rezound while being very clear had messed up blacks, when displaying any shade of black it looked washed out. Now with the Razr it has what look like true blacks, I can read an etext in night settings and the display looks completely turned off in the areas where there is no text making the white letters stand out. Now, I have noticed the Pentile display but even that isn't that bad, I just wish the resolution was slightly higher to get rid of the pixely look. As to daylight usage the Razr hands down beats the Rezound, I can clearly see it in bright sunlight if the brightness is all the way up (I wonder if the Razr has a stronger backlight to make-up for what you said about it being harder to see during the day). The black blotches are the only thing that bothers me but I think its a Razr / Razr Maxx only problem.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had almost the opposite experience! My Rezound while being very clear had messed up blacks, when displaying any shade of black it looked washed out. Now with the Razr it has what look like true blacks, I can read an etext in night settings and the display looks completely turned off in the areas where there is no text making the white letters stand out. Now, I have noticed the Pentile display but even that isn't that bad, I just wish the resolution was slightly higher to get rid of the pixely look. As to daylight usage the Razr hands down beats the Rezound, I can clearly see it in bright sunlight if the brightness is all the way up (I wonder if the Razr has a stronger backlight to make-up for what you said about it being harder to see during the day). The black blotches are the only thing that bothers me but I think its a Razr / Razr Maxx only problem.

Nope--unfortunately, black blotches occur on pretty much any device with AMOLED and pentile screens. I had one on my last Nexus. It's a common "issue" with that type of screen technology.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
AMOLED sucks, plain and simple. The Pixely look doesn't go away with higher resolution. It can be clearly seen on the S3 and Galaxy Nexus.

Milky black doesn't bother me as almost everything has color. The contrast ratio of LCD on phones like the iPhone and One X make this a non-issue.

I care about display CLARITY. AMOLED does not have it.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
AMOLED sucks, plain and simple. The Pixely look doesn't go away with higher resolution. It can be clearly seen on the S3 and Galaxy Nexus.

Milky black doesn't bother me as almost everything has color. The contrast ratio of LCD on phones like the iPhone and One X make this a non-issue.

I care about display CLARITY. AMOLED does not have it.

Well I love the samoled+ display on my epic and I love it on my ns4g

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Well I love the samoled+ display on my epic and I love it on my ns4g

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean
You can love it all you want and I won't say anything about that. However you cannot argue that AMOLED is inferior to LCD in terms of clarity.

I do wish I could get the inky blacks of AMOLED with the clarity of LCD, but personally, I'd rather have the clarity.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm a bit bored with my MAXX, I'd like to try the Nexus for Vanilla Android and Jelly Bean.

I'm a bit concerned about signal strength. I really don't want to start dropping calls... I haven't had the best luck with Samsung in this area (Nexus S, S2).

My MAXX is giving me data trouble, so I'm getting a bit frustrated with it. I'll be getting the extended battery with the Nexus, I know it won't be MAXX good, but it should last the day.

Is this a good switch?

In my opinion the whole signal strength issue isn't really the issue that some have tried to make it out to be. I have far fewer problems with dropped calls, signal loss and etc. on my Nexus. I have significantly more signal issues with the Maxx. I also use my phones in a variety of areas and locations.

ctechnow

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Actually, if I were you, I would stick with the MAXX, wait a month, and get the next Nexus phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

The GNex came out last December. If its a year to date then that means we will be waiting longer than a month. If you have some evidence that suggests a new version of the GNex before Dec please post it.

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The GNex came out last December. If its a year to date then that means we will be waiting longer than a month. If you have some evidence that suggests a new version of the GNex before Dec please post it.

There is a LOT of talk about the new Nexus devices that are rumored to be launching this winter / fall. One that peaked my interest was a post about the rumored Quad Core, 1080p HTC device becoming the Nexus 5 (its a play on the Nexus 7, the N7 has a 7 inch screen and the N5 would have a 5 inch screen). Now all of these are to be taken wit a grain of salt but at least with the Android Rumor mill most of the stuff will actually be true (unlike a certain iDevice that shouldn't be mentioned).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc