Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default In JB, ringtone & notifications linked?

    Just wondering if the ringtone volume & notification volume are linked together in JB just as they are by default in ICS.

    Thank you.



    Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > custom Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r CROMBi-kk)
  2. #2  

    Default Re: In JB, ringtone & notifications linked?

    Yes, still linked.
    Thanked by:
    TBolt 
  3. #3  
    MHBlink8's Avatar

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jellybean

    Default Re: In JB, ringtone & notifications linked?

    I use Light Flow and it allows you to increase the volume of notifications it manages. I find this to be great because you can also program a Sleep Mode schedule so no notifications go off while you're sleeping.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    TBolt 
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: In JB, ringtone & notifications linked?

    Thanks. I've been using ICS Enhanced Ringer Control. Just bummed that the two are still linked in JB. O well...

    Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by TBolt; 10-09-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > custom Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r CROMBi-kk)
  5. #5  

    Default Re: In JB, ringtone & notifications linked?

    Most of the custom ROMS I've tried have these split back out the way they should be. I don't know why Google ever combined them in the first place.
    --HTC Droid Eris - HTC Droid Incredible - Motorola Droid X - VZW Galaxy Nexus - AT&T HTC One M7
    --Nexus7
  6. #6  
    HalizDad's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,099 Posts
    ROM
    Stock for once.

    Default Re: In JB, ringtone & notifications linked?

    Now I can't wait for JB on the S3...I silence my ringtone, and still get the bejesus scared out of me at night when an email comes in and I forget to turn down the notifications. Oh, never mind, they were linked on the Gnex all along...Trust me, you don't want them delinked.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: In JB, ringtone & notifications linked?

    Quote Originally Posted by HalizDad View Post
    Now I can't wait for JB on the S3...I silence my ringtone, and still get the bejesus scared out of me at night when an email comes in and I forget to turn down the notifications. Oh, never mind, they were linked on the Gnex all along...Trust me, you don't want them delinked.
    I see your point, but I have a counter one-
    I work in IT and am frequently on call. When a nightly job fails, a text alert is sent out that I need to hear so I can get up and deal with it. On nights when I am not on call, I turn down the volume for just my text alerts so that they don't wake me. Since my cell phone is my only phone, I leave the ringer on at all times.

    With the volumes combined, I cannot do this without a third party app. I think it's better to give us the choice than to take away functionality that we've always had.
    --HTC Droid Eris - HTC Droid Incredible - Motorola Droid X - VZW Galaxy Nexus - AT&T HTC One M7
    --Nexus7
  8. #8  

    Default Re: In JB, ringtone & notifications linked?

    And, yet, states that you can control the two independently now:
    Notification volume | You can now control the volume for notifications separately from your phone's main volume. | Press the volume button on the side of your phone, then touch the Settings icon . Drag slider to change the volume for notifications.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: In JB, ringtone & notifications linked?

    Quote Originally Posted by brianr8011 View Post
    I see your point, but I have a counter one-
    I work in IT and am frequently on call. When a nightly job fails, a text alert is sent out that I need to hear so I can get up and deal with it. On nights when I am not on call, I turn down the volume for just my text alerts so that they don't wake me. Since my cell phone is my only phone, I leave the ringer on at all times.

    With the volumes combined, I cannot do this without a third party app. I think it's better to give us the choice than to take away functionality that we've always had.
    Same here, but I use tasker. I have a profile that turns off notifications at night but leaves the ringer on.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: In JB, ringtone & notifications linked?

    Quote Originally Posted by jephanie View Post
    And, yet, states that you can control the two independently now:
    Notification volume | You can now control the volume for notifications separately from your phone's main volume. | Press the volume button on the side of your phone, then touch the Settings icon . Drag slider to change the volume for notifications.
    Hmm, interesting. The first JB leak I put on my phone didn't allow this. It was very annoying.
    --HTC Droid Eris - HTC Droid Incredible - Motorola Droid X - VZW Galaxy Nexus - AT&T HTC One M7
    --Nexus7
  11. #11  
    HalizDad's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,099 Posts
    ROM
    Stock for once.

    Default Re: In JB, ringtone & notifications linked?

    Quote Originally Posted by brianr8011 View Post
    I see your point, but I have a counter one-
    I work in IT and am frequently on call. When a nightly job fails, a text alert is sent out that I need to hear so I can get up and deal with it. On nights when I am not on call, I turn down the volume for just my text alerts so that they don't wake me. Since my cell phone is my only phone, I leave the ringer on at all times.

    With the volumes combined, I cannot do this without a third party app. I think it's better to give us the choice than to take away functionality that we've always had.
    The S3 is the first phone I've owned that doesn't have the ringer/notification linked, or when rooted and running older versions of Android, having a way TO link them. I see your point, and I'm on call all the time too. We have a pager though. While a pager is redundant with the capabilities of a good smartphone, I can turn down my ringer. Choice would be great though.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: In JB, ringtone & notifications linked?

    I'm using the Audio Control app, which provides the ability to split the Notification and Ringer controls, plus includes Profiles and Scheduling capabilities all in one smooth package.

    As icing on the cake, it includes a variety of widgets. I use the 1x4 text widget and set it up with Daytime, Nighttime and Silence profiles. I've been using it for about a month on my VZN GN, with no issues.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Similar Threads

  1. Are separate Ringtone and notification volumes possible in ICS?
    By rabscuttle in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-29-2013, 05:10 PM
  2. Ringtone and Notification Link?
    By Wildo6882 in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-21-2012, 04:32 PM
  3. How to set custom ringtone as notification?
    By ali.fazal in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-24-2010, 02:39 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-05-2010, 08:25 PM
  5. Ringtones? Custom Notifications?
    By Argent in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-02-2010, 04:31 PM

Posting Permissions

B