1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    KB 1.3/OTB 1.4 /ICS

Default Urgent help needed

I have a non rooted galaxy nexus with verizon....It's my wife's phone and just this afternoon she received notification that 4.1 was available to download. In my haste to see the new features I hit ok and it started its download. The phone turned off and came back on but now it is stuck on the multicolored X at the startup screen for about the last 8 hours as I write now. Is there any way to fix my problem short of a hard reset? I would prefer not doing that as my wife has over 1000 photos and videos of our firstborn son from the last four months or so. Any help would be appreciated!

ROM
    Stock/Franco

Default Re: Urgent help needed

only fix I can see is a battery pull and hope that it boots correctly after that.
    Devices: Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7
    Thanked by:

ROM
    given up keeping track

Yeah I second the battery pull.

Once you get it to boot, go in and just make sure it may of installed OK. Just check that is shows 4.1.1 under Android Version.

Good Luck.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    KB 1.3/OTB 1.4 /ICS

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I have tried about four or five battery pulls and it still gets hung up on that screen. Do you know of any way to pull the photos off the phone because verizon tech thinks the only fix now is a hard reset...which will remove my wife's photos?
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by mipana83 View Post
    Thanks guys. Unfortunately I have tried about four or five battery pulls and it still gets hung up on that screen. Do you know of any way to pull the photos off the phone because verizon tech thinks the only fix now is a hard reset...which will remove my wife's photos?
    Google "adb commands." You should be able to at least attempt to adb pull stuff in recovery. You could also try plugging it in and making a backup with Wug's Toolkit.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

Once you back up your files, a factory image of 4.1.1 from Google's page combined with Wug's Toolkit checking the MD5 for you should verify you'll get a clean install the second time around. I'd focus on any important pictures since you won't be able to run SMS Backup and Restore from recovery. Contacts, Gmail, and apps are backed up in the cloud, if you need to ease your wife's woes.
    Thanked by:

ADB will only work if USB Debugging was enabled, correct? If his wife is anything like my wife, I doubt she has ever gone into the the Developer options to turn this on.

I hope that's not the case though.
    --HTC Droid Eris - HTC Droid Incredible - Motorola Droid X - VZW Galaxy Nexus - AT&T HTC One M7
    --Nexus7
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    KB 1.3/OTB 1.4 /ICS

Ok...I will try using the adb....I did show her how to pull her photos from her phone to our laptop so I'm thinking debugging is enabled. If that doesn't work would it be possible to ODIN the stock image of 4.1 to her phone and still keep her photos intact? The guy at Verizon store told her that its stuck at that splash screen because it failed to download the entire package. Also could someone please point me in the direction of a how to on pulling using the adb commands? I used to root all the time on my old Fascinate, faithfully flashing every new rom that would come out but since the baby came and we got new phones I've fallen a bit out of practice

Ok...I will try using the adb....I did show her how to pull her photos from her phone to our laptop so I'm thinking debugging is enabled. If that doesn't work would it be possible to ODIN the stock image of 4.1 to her phone and still keep her photos intact? The guy at Verizon store told her that its stuck at that splash screen because it failed to download the entire package. Also could someone please point me in the direction of a how to on pulling using the adb commands? I used to root all the time on my old Fascinate, faithfully flashing every new rom that would come out but since the baby came and we got new phones I've fallen a bit out of practice
    If you are able to use ADB, I think it should be possible for you download the update, push it to her phone, and install it that way. I don't know the exact commands, but I would think this would work...
    --HTC Droid Eris - HTC Droid Incredible - Motorola Droid X - VZW Galaxy Nexus - AT&T HTC One M7
    --Nexus7
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM
    KB 1.3/OTB 1.4 /ICS

Quote Originally Posted by brianr8011 View Post
    If you are able to use ADB, I think it should be possible for you download the update, push it to her phone, and install it that way. I don't know the exact commands, but I would think this would work...
    Ok...I'll try that...it will let me into the stock recovery so I'm hoping I can do the download mode as well.....an clue as to if it will erase her info going that route?

Ok...I'll try that...it will let me into the stock recovery so I'm hoping I can do the download mode as well.....an clue as to if it will erase her info going that route?
    To be honest, I'll have to defer to one of the gurus on this one. Not sure how it would work.
    --Nexus7

...over 1000 photos and videos of our firstborn son from the last four months or so.
    I know some people will say that circumstances like this is reason that removable SD cards could benefit but even that argument is wiped out by an accidental drop into water or a physical loss of the phone. The axiom of "save early, safe often" should apply with important photos or files on our phones. I yank my photos off my phone every week or two and back them up if I want to keep them. Four months of such important photos without any backup effort might prove to be a very painful lesson.

I sincerely hope you're able to access them safely at some point. Even a near miss of that magnitude is enough to change user behavior. I'm crossing my fingers for you!
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

I would enable Google+ instant upload after the phone gets working again. Every photo and video I take is automatically uploaded when I have a WiFi connection.

Good luck and let us know how things work out for you and your wife.