if I buy a 2nd GN at contract price, can I switch the SIM cards to my current GN with unlimited plan

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Let's say my current GN has unlimited data on a family plan...

My 2nd line on the family is eligible for upgrade pricing. If I buy another GN for $49 from the Verizon corporate-owned store,
it will obviously be signed up with 2GB data plan.

So I will end up with:

Line 1 - Galaxy Nexus - unlimited data
Line 2 - Galaxy Nexus - 2GB data

Will I endanger Line 1's unlimited data if I swap the 4G LTE SIM cards between the two phones?

Thanks!

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Why are you doing this? I dont think it will give you unlimited on both lines. I think the only thing it will do is just switch #s on the phone. Like line one will be on the new phone . But will have the same data.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
@ lrvgotti: I think that's what he wants to do -- switch numbers on the phones so the user of the line 1 gets the new unit and the user of line 2 gets the old one.

@ badkitties: I don't think you can just swap SIMs like a GSM phone. LTE uses the SIM, but I think the CDMA connectivity still relies on the phone's MEID (or was it IMEI? I forget which one). I think you'd have to switch both. I believe you can still swap IMEI's online.

Regardless, swapping lines between handsets should not effect the service on those lines. They can't change your plan just because you migrate between handsets -- it is the service line that matters to them, not what hardware it is tied to. Lots of people here (myself included) move their line to a different handset now and then.

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
@ lrvgotti: I think that's what he wants to do -- switch numbers on the phones so the user of the line 1 gets the new unit and the user of line 2 gets the old one.

@ badkitties: I don't think you can just swap SIMs like a GSM phone. LTE uses the SIM, but I think the CDMA connectivity still relies on the phone's MEID (or was it IMEI? I forget which one). I think you'd have to switch both. I believe you can still swap IMEI's online.

I got a replacement nexus in the mail and when I got it I put the sim card in it from my old nexus turned it on and it worked I never had to call Verizon or go online

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have a razr maxx and a galaxy nexus. I switch between the 2 all the time. You will be fine.

If you are doing this because you broke the first phone and want a replacement you should know that if you find an old flip phone that doesn't use data you can activate that on your second line and not have to pay 2 more years of data. Then put the new phone on your first line with unlimited data.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a razr maxx and a galaxy nexus. I switch between the 2 all the time. You will be fine.

When you switch between phones do you just switch sim cards and now that phone works fine?

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Yup. I also purchased a droid 4 for my wife. All I had to do was get a Sim card from Verizon and put it in

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site

Good to know. I assumed that switching to a replacement unit was as easy as just swapping the SIM because the replacement is pre-provisioned for your account. I only ever swap between my GNex and my old Incredible, which doesn't have a SIM, so I still have to do it the old fashioned way.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I thought if you added a new line to your family plan it will switch all phones of unlimited data? Is this not true? Right now I have 3 phones on my family plan, 2 (me and my wife) are unlimited. If my wife got a new phone of course she would lose unlimited but I thought I would too? Anybody know for sure?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34