Landscape setting on stock dialer app

jonheld

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm running a stock Verizon GNex with JB 4.1.1. Apparently the only application that doesn't switch between portrait and landscape is the dialer. I've tried forcing landscape and it does nothing. It's a bit annoying when using in the car as it's mounted in landscape. Does anyone out there know if this is a setting issue or do I need an aftermarket dialer?
Thank you all in advance.

JH

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I am running a custom Rom (XenonHD) & it has that capability. Don't know about anything for a stock phone.

jonheld

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
According to my phone, the dialer application is part of the contacts app. I suppose that makes sense as it is integrated. Does anyone have any input on this? All I'm looking to do is get the dialer to display in landscape.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm running a stock Verizon GNex with JB 4.1.1. Apparently the only application that doesn't switch between portrait and landscape is the dialer. I've tried forcing landscape and it does nothing. It's a bit annoying when using in the car as it's mounted in landscape. Does anyone out there know if this is a setting issue or do I need an aftermarket dialer?
Thank you all in advance.

JH

How did you try forcing landscape, using the mod to the build.prop, launcher.force_enable_rotation=true? I wonder if you did something like "dialer.force_enable_rotation=true" if that would do anything. Probably not as I just pulled it out of my orifice.

jonheld

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
How did you try forcing landscape, using the mod to the build.prop, launcher.force_enable_rotation=true? I wonder if you did something like "dialer.force_enable_rotation=true" if that would do anything. Probably not as I just pulled it out of my orifice.

I tried downloading Nova Launcher. There is a setting on it to "force landscape". It made no difference in the dialer. I am not rooted or unlocked in any way. This is just a stock Gnex from Verizon. Between the JB update breaking the bluetooth voice dial capabilities and the dialer itself being a PITA to use, this phone has now become useless in the car. I drive alot and this just sucks now.

Windfrenzy

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe the answer is a voice dial solution that works for you. If you get a good bluetooth car kit or speakerphone, you'll forget about the dialer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jonheld

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Maybe the answer is a voice dial solution that works for you. If you get a good bluetooth car kit or speakerphone, you'll forget about the dialer.

I have an excellent BT setup in my car now. Unfortunately, the JB update destroyed the ability to voice dial. So I can't use the hands free dialer, and I can't see the stock dialer while I'm driving. The voice dialer issue is all over the internet on every forum. Apparently there was a major change to that specific area and when using BT, it is useless. It has become a major safety issue for me. I'm fine if a client calls me, but I can't initiate calls.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
So, there is an app in the store called "Ultimate Rotation Control," but you're probably better off using an aftermarket dialer if you frequently need to dial by manually entering numbers.

If you go into the "Per App Settings" and set the "Phone" app to "Forced auto," it will rotate the dialer when in landscape. However, the big caveat is that there isn't a native landscape view for the dialing screen (the numbers). Call log and Frequently Contacted work fine. If you switch over to dial by digits when in landscape, there are no numbers visible to press. Instead, there is a very faintly defined field just below the blue line where you have to tap to set an invisible cursor, and this brings up the keyboard in digit mode. Enter the number and press "Done" to dial. It's less than ideal, but it works.

If the only app you want to auto-rotate is the dialer (and not, say, the Home and Lock screens), then disable the global "forced auto" setting in Rotation Control and just set the per app setting for the dialer.

Windfrenzy

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I have an excellent BT setup in my car now. Unfortunately, the JB update destroyed the ability to voice dial. So I can't use the hands free dialer, and I can't see the stock dialer while I'm driving. The voice dialer issue is all over the internet on every forum. Apparently there was a major change to that specific area and when using BT, it is useless. It has become a major safety issue for me. I'm fine if a client calls me, but I can't initiate calls.

I was thinking of one of the units that pulls in your contact list and handles dialing itself.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jonheld

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Installed "Ultimate rotation control" and that will do the trick for now. The only time I enter numbers is for conference calls and such. I typically pull off the road to set those up and then jump back on once the call is in progress. This is a cool utility. Thank you for pointing it out to me. I can now properly scroll through incoming and frequently called numbers without turning my head.