VZW nexus overheating

recumbentbob

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
My VZW galaxy Nexus with samsung extended battery overheats when I use the navigation and when I watch a video and when it gets below 20% on battery and when I use the car charger.
Battery temps goes to 122 F, it ha been so hot it has discolored my sim card.

I dont know if it's the battery or the phone Warranty is up in Dec.

Any suggestions??

Bob

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'd try putting the standard battery in for a day or two. I know it wont last as long, but you can determine if your extended battery is malfunctioning. Mine always gets pretty warm when navigation, but I don't think it gets that hot. I'll check it next time I'm nav'ing around.

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Mine usually gets warm while using navigation, but I think it's because the sun is usually beating down on it. Try keeping the screen off while you're on long stretches of road, or keep it off your windshield.

Other than that, it's just the nature of the phone.

recumbentbob

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Mine got so hot it discolored the SIM card.
I'm putting the standard battery in tonight and see if that makes a difference tomorrow. I may have a bad extended battery.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Mine got so hot it discolored the SIM card.
I'm putting the standard battery in tonight and see if that makes a difference tomorrow. I may have a bad extended battery.

It'll get hot for several reasons, but the main ones are (1) 4G, (2) Dual Core, and (3) the screen.

farcus1022

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I was having over heating problems when i tried to do anything with twrp recovery.
I recently changed my boot-loader because I was still on ICS boot-loader and it was working fine with the
longer boot times happening sometimes but as soon as I changed over to the JB boot-loader
I haven't had any issues