Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default VZW Galaxy Nexus: Voice Dialer via Bluetooth headset button became USELESS after Jelly Bean update?

VZW Galaxy Nexus: Voice Dialer via Bluetooth headset button became USELESS after Jelly Bean update?

I read many threads on other forums, including community.verizonwireless.com...

EXAMPLE: https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/784862
    "My phone updated to Jelly Bean yesterday and so far not so good. The major problem is that the Voice Dialer no longer works.
    This includes using it from a blue tooth headset and using Google Search. I have looked on the web but haven't seen any solutions.
    As long as it took Verizon to vet this update I would have thought they would get it right. I also heard that Google can not do this
    simple search anymore but that seems quite wrong to me.":

My question: anyone here at Android Central experience the same issue? It's driving me bananas... Samsung and Verizon
    keep blaming Google, and we all know how long that'll take.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Default Re: VZW Galaxy Nexus: Voice Dialer via Bluetooth headset button became USELESS after Jelly Bean upda

Oh, definitely you are not alone. See thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...y-useless.html
    and google bug: https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=35199
    (please star so we can hopefully get this looked at sooner rather than later).
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: VZW Galaxy Nexus: Voice Dialer via Bluetooth headset button became USELESS after Jelly Bean upda

Quote Originally Posted by GUHoya94 View Post
    Oh, definitely you are not alone. See thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...y-useless.html
    and google bug: https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=35199
    (please star so we can hopefully get this looked at sooner rather than later).
    I called Verizon and asked about this issue. Apparently it is a known issue. As usual, they had no idea when a fix will be o

I told the tier 2 tech support guy that the problem is a serious driving safety issue, he agreed with me. He said I had the
    option of exchanging my 11-month-old Galaxy Nexus for a brand new Samsung Galaxy S3. He put notes in my account
    for this offer. He said all I had to do was to visit a Verizon corporate-owned/operated store and they'll give me a new GS3.
    Hmmmm..... not sure if I want to do that. Verizon seems to prefer to exchange phones to shut up complaining customers.
    This has already happened to me once. When my VZW Samsusung Fascinate was still on Froyo, it had many software
    problems which Verizon could fix. (Gingerbread was the solution, but you know how long it took Verizon to push that out)
    Anyway, I was offered a free exchange from my old banged-up Fascinate to a new VZW Samsung Droid Charge. I did
    accept their offer and received a new Droid Charge as promised. Now I don't know if I want to go down the same road
    and exchange my Galaxy Nexus for a new Galaxy S3. Perhaps I should wait a couple more weeks and see if they'll
    upgrad the offer to a Galaxy Note 2.

Sheesh... why can't Verizon, Samsung, and Google come up with a fix for this "simple" bluetooth headphone problem?

I'm going to do just that. Go for the s3. I think it's less time consuming for VZ to do it this way rather than screw around with the GNEX. The mgr of my store offered me this before the JB upgrade due to my BT problems.He said that if JB didn't solve, I can do the trade. I don't root or any of that, I do like JB and the way this phone works as a computer, I *hate* this as a phone.

Global Posts
    848 Global Posts
    ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

This is another example of a benefit to unlocking/rooting. I've had JB for months, now on a 4.1.2 build, and my voice dialer works the same it always had on ICS. I only really use it on my BT headset. I'm pretty sure that's only because the dev includes it in the gapps (google apps) package I flash. Not trying to throw salt in any wounds just pointing this fact out. Perhaps you can sideload it on a stock device? Probaly not as I'm sure it's system/root level. It's worth a search.

Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    This is another example of a benefit to unlocking/rooting. I've had JB for months, now on a 4.1.2 build, and my voice dialer works the same it always had on ICS. I only really use it on my BT headset. I'm pretty sure that's only because the dev includes it in the gapps (google apps) package I flash. Not trying to throw salt in any wounds just pointing this fact out. Perhaps you can sideload it on a stock device? Probaly not as I'm sure it's system/root level. It's worth a search.
    You are correct. I use JBSourcery, I let them know that voice dialer wasn't working on a previous version, they realized it was the gapps, and have now included the original voice dialer in their gapps.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I was asking my honest attorney friend. (yes, there are good/decent/honest attorneys out there) He told me what Google/Verizon/Samsung has
    done(not not done) was clearly a safety hazard for users of the Galaxy Nexus phones. If someone is unfortunate enough to get into an accident
    with injury and/or property damage, there's a very good case against Google/Verizon/Samsung(in that order). It's a clear case of product
    software defect that can be documented and reproduced. Even worse, it can be reproduced on every single Verizon Galaxy Nexus updated to
    Jelly Bean. Anyone posting this problem on this or other forums can be a witness to this fact. Just imagine a lawyer using a Verizon Galaxy
    Nexus and the phone wouldn't recognize his voice dial inputs and then he gets into an accident.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Default Re: VZW Galaxy Nexus: Voice

As stated, this is highly rom dependent. I can say voice dialer via bluetooth works perfectly on codename android 3. 6.0

It does look like the "old" one to me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Default VZW Galaxy Nexus: Voice Dialer via Bluetooth headset button became USELESS after Jelly Bean update?

I've spoken with numerous Verizon, Samsung, and Google reps about this recently. Unfortunately, I wound up in the dreaded triangle of blame.

What stood out to me from the literal hours on the phone was:

-A Samsung rep suggested that Google has dropped support for this variant (purely speculative I'm sure).

-Verizon acknowledged the issue (in addition to Bluetooth connectivity issue and a sound quality drop from the update), but "only with 4 people."and only after making them actually check.

-Three different level two techs from Verizon noted that there will "likely be no more patches or fixes for this phone." (Gotta love speculation).

- The local store suggested owners should "use an upgrade, if they have 'em, for the 'now free' iPhone 4," as they don't see anything changing in the future.

-Verizon, according to each and every rep, is not willing to do anything to fix the issues and, in the words of one rep, "It sucks, but the rest of the phone works so you can just deal with it."*

I'm a bit undecided as to how I feel about this experience, but I'm definitely looking to move all four lines elsewhere.

*Having dealt with customers for living, I don't like getting angry at reps if I can help it. So this came a bit unwarranted, as he felt that it wasn't worth his time to hear about Bluetooth issues.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Has anyone else had success with Verizon offering an exchange for a different device like the S3. I'm contemplating the change as well.

I am trying today after my 2nd GNEX sucks w/BT voice. Am trying in a store where I think the mgr will try to work with me.

btw, I don't get the attitude that the rest of the phone works....is it not guaranteed? Like if the phone makes calls but couldnt display data, can they say, well, the rest of the phone works? Sounds like B.S....they should eat the phone...we're paying 800-1000+ year for the service

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

I was offered a replacement galaxy nexus same model . What's the use you are back to square one. I'm going back to the store and deal 1 on 1.

Default Re: VZW Galaxy Nexus: Voice Dialer via Bluetooth headset button became USELESS after Jelly Bean

I'm in the same boat as they've elected to keep sending me replacements instead of addressing the issue. They told me every time I get a phone I can:
    A) get a refurb, which will always end with a continuation of problems.
    B) hope something is eventually done to fix it before my contract ends, "which doesn't look likely."

Being the proactive type that refuses to accept un-sat things as they are, I will continue to let them send me refurbs until they either fix it or exchange it.

The FedEx lady already recognizes me whenever I go to send off another phone, shame it's no longer the younger hotter girl I used to work with.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: VZW Galaxy Nexus: Voice Dialer via Bluetooth headset button became USELESS after Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by Sock-Monkey Pete View Post
    I'm in the same boat as they've elected to keep sending me replacements instead of addressing the issue. They told me every time I get a phone I can:
    A) get a refurb, which will always end with a continuation of problems.
    B) hope something is eventually done to fix it before my contract ends, "which doesn't look likely."

Being the proactive type that refuses to accept un-sat things as they are, I will continue to let them send me refurbs until they either fix it or exchange it.

The FedEx lady already recognizes me whenever I go to send off another phone, shame it's no longer the younger hotter girl I used to work with.

For those who are hoping to get Verizon to "upgrade" or "exchange" the Galaxy Nexus with another phone....
    I just put Jelly Bean on my VZW Galaxy S3 and it has the exact same Bluetooth problem. I think the
    problem is really with Google/Android. Since the Galaxy S3 will get official OTA Jelly Bean from VZW,
    it will get the same problem. :6

Not having given up, I'm still in seemingly daily contact with Verizon on this. I even brought them my phone while the bluetooth was connected while the screen was on and disconnected while it was off. They've decided that they should be replacing phones since they don't intend to fix this model, but they've managed to lose the work orders on my phone(s), in addition to everything else, off and on for four days.

I must say that this ongoing experience with Verizon has really left a bad taste in my mouth as I continually find more bad/rude employees within Verizon's customer care. I even had a new one explain to me "[I] can just switch to a wired headset so [she] didn't see any problem there."

Thankfully I was lucky enough to squeeze out a nexus 4 order (being delivered today) and if T-Mobile's reception is worthwhile, I'm done with big V. The half-cooked 4G here isn't worth the nonsense they bring.

crazy. how many hours did they waste of theirs(not to mention yours) to solve an unsolvable problem. Bad business. They should eat the bad phone and give you another one...

Quote Originally Posted by samkatz View Post
    crazy. how many hours did they waste of theirs(not to mention yours) to solve an unsolvable problem. Bad business. They should eat the bad phone and give you another one...
    They finally decided that was the case at my local store, unfortunately the phones they had listed as an alternate were the HTC Thunderbolt or Droid Incredible (1st Gen)... Needless to say I called customer service, and after half an hour of being told me my situation was improbable and essentially that they intended to send me refurbs until the cows came home, as that was all they were contractually obligated to do, they put me in touch with a rep who immediately offered me a different phone. I'll wait to see how that goes, as it is increasingly less likely they will ever actually send it out (the 4 days of losing and finding my order/device/trouble ticket).

Quote Originally Posted by af250xxl View Post
    For those who are hoping to get Verizon to "upgrade" or "exchange" the Galaxy Nexus with another phone....
    I just put Jelly Bean on my VZW Galaxy S3 and it has the exact same Bluetooth problem. I think the
    problem is really with Google/Android. Since the Galaxy S3 will get official OTA Jelly Bean from VZW,
    it will get the same problem. :6
    Well.. exactly what happened to me. I didn't read it before I hit "Yes" on the Jelly Bean 4.1.1 update.. & now i'm in the same boat as all android 4.1+ JB owners BT connection issue

it was working perfectly fine when I had ICS on my S3.
    Last edited by SreeNC; 12-18-2012 at 01:12 PM.