VZW Refurb'd CPO unit won't hold signal

legalninja

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Ordered a 32GB G-Nex last week and it arrived Friday with ICS. Followed the directions for the SIM card install and turned it on; intermittent signal from none to 3G to 4G. Phone can't activate without signal, so I turned it off and restarted the phone to see if that would help and it doesn't. I tried using my Wi-Fi to connect, but that didn't work either. I restarted the phone multiple times (5-6), called VZW and restarted/wiped it a couple more times at the direction of tech support to get the issue fixed. Nothing worked. Tech support told me to go into a store to get a new SIM card. I got the SIM card yesterday morning and Wi-Fi worked in the store, but 4G went back to intermittent connectivity as I got into my car. When I got home, the G-Nex still wouldn't connect to my Wi-Fi. I recalled how Jelly Bean is supposed to help the signal issue and tried using my Droid X as a mobile hotspot to see if the G-Nex would connect, which it did. I downloaded and installed JB, but that didn't help the connectivity issue. I find it odd that the Droid X mobile hotspot worked for the G-Nex's Wi-Fi, given that the other Wi-Fi devices in my house work well (laptops, Nexus 7, iPads/iPods/iPhones, printer, Wii, PS3).

VZW is sending me another device, but is this indicative of the poor signal reception for which the G-Nex is famous? Or is there something else going on?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
While the gnex may have its issues, but that is really bad. I am guessing it was a bad unit. A really bad unit. When you get the new one you should see better reception

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It doesnt want to go back and get ripped apart again :)

You will have a couple days with the new one before one of them have to be returned so see how it works out. I still think you have a bad unit going through a good streak right now

stew930

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you received a bad one. My experience with the Jelly Bean upgrade with a CPO unit the signal strength is way better. My signal strength is about the same as my Razr Maxx.