How can you tell if water indicator had been tripped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywolf007

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Went into the pool with my Galaxy Nexus in my pocket for about 1 second. I put the phone in a bag of rice for a day and half and everything seemed to work except it won't make phone calls or show a signal. Went to the Verizon store and they thought it was a bad SIM card, they changed it out and it still didn't work. So they are going to send me out a new one for no charge and I have to send back my old one. They said if they found it was damaged because of misuse then they will charge me $299 for it.

How can you tell if water indicator had been tripped on the Galaxy Nexus? Right now my sticker shows white with no red or pink. Does anyone know what color the sticker is suppose to be if there is no water damage? My other idea was to crack the screen and take it back to Best Buy and see if they will replace it because of the cracked screen and hopefully no bother looking for water damage, since I have the Best Buy insurance. Any thoughts?

Thanks

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Went into the pool with my Galaxy Nexus in my pocket for about 1 second. I put the phone in a bag of rice for a day and half and everything seemed to work except it won't make phone calls or show a signal. Went to the Verizon store and they thought it was a bad SIM card, they changed it out and it still didn't work. So they are going to send me out a new one for no charge and I have to send back my old one. They said if they found it was damaged because of misuse then they will charge me $299 for it.

How can you tell if water indicator had been tripped on the Galaxy Nexus? Right now my sticker shows white with no red or pink. Does anyone know what color the sticker is suppose to be if there is no water damage? My other idea was to crack the screen and take it back to Best Buy and see if they will replace it because of the cracked screen and hopefully no bother looking for water damage, since I have the Best Buy insurance. Any thoughts?

Thanks
I'm not 100% sure but I was told on ur battery there is a rectangular box opposite the 4 copper battery connectors, and on ur phone a small square box both have pink "X's" if the white area around the "x's" turns pink or red...that indicates water damage...if i'm wrong i'm sure someone will correct me...but check it out...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure but I was told on ur battery there is a rectangular box opposite the 4 copper battery connectors, and on ur phone a small square box both have pink "X's" if the white area around the "x's" turns pink or red...that indicates water damage...if i'm wrong i'm sure someone will correct me...but check it out...

I think they're naturally that color? I presume they noticeably discolor in the event of damage.

Ed Ke6bnl

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
when I returned my phone for not working they do not take the battery or the back cover. mine was not water damage but I would suspect it is not in the battery. fine some air cond. mechanic and see if he can put your phone in a container(ball jar is what I used) and evacuate it for a few hours or a day that should remove all the moisture and not sure if it would return the color sensor to original color though.

bakerbert

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
there are two water damage indicators on your phone. One is on the battery the other is on the phone.
Battery indicator is on the same side as the connectors on the opposite corner
Phone indicator almost lines up with the battery indicator in the battery compartment

both indicators are white with red x's through them when no water damage is present. When water damage is present the x's will bleed to make the whole sticker light red/pink in appearance.
here is a pic of the battery (no water damage) the one on the phone looks exactly like this
IMG_20120808_101913.jpg

graywolf007

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses, looks like I caught it before the x's could bleed. I wonder what they would think if the sticker is all ? I'll try looking for the replacement stickers.

Thanks again.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Wow I can't believe carriers are that pathetic they feel the need to charge you in order to replace the phone because of an accident.

Vzw, att, sprint, and tmo are all multimillion dollar corporations... I'm sure they would certainly need the money, not to mention some of them were or are monopolies.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

appler1

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I agree, why are we helping this guy commit fraud? If you are too cheap to get insurance, you get stuck paying for a new phone. And saying carriers could afford to give you a new one cuz it was an accident is like expecting a new car from the dealer when you wreck yours without insurance. Really? My thought on the original post? Look up the word "integrity" in the dictionary, since it is obviously a foreign concept to you, bud.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Nice to bring a thread that has been dead for 6 months back to life....

I think everyone made their point here, nobody approves of fraud and the OP was given enough evidence of what a good and bad indicator looks like.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.