Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Default Re: So now that there is no Verizon Nexus 4, what are you going to do/get?

Considering my contract will not be up until June 2014, who knows. Been wanting to go prepaid smart phone for a while so prolly gonna pay to get off early and do the per pay
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,394 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Default Re: So now that there is no Verizon Nexus 4, what are you going to do/get?

Quote Originally Posted by bakerbert View Post
    All i know is i spend a lot of time in northern Michigan; Tmoble and att suck for coverage where i go. I will stick with Verizon based on that alone.
    There will always be a top of the line phone for Verizon and a dev community capable of getting rid of the skin/bloat.
    I am not to worried about this, it will work out.
    I'm in the same boat so I'll just wait and see what Big Red has to offer in the next few months... maybe the HTC DLX or Note2

I'll always have my Gnex to run the latest software

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted 4.0.4

Im thinking that if VZW does not get the Nexus 4 that I will buy a used Galaxy S 3 then root and install a nice clean JB ROM.
    Phone - HTC One / Galaxy S3 w/CM10
    Tablet - Nexus 7 2013

Wait it our for another year.................
    tx_tuff likes this.

ROM
    MMuzzy's Jelly Bean 4.2.1

While a VZW Nexus 4 would have been awesome, my GNex does everything I need it to, so I'll just wait it out. I'm still happy with my current situation.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    atranchina likes this.

So what's the verdict on T Mobile vs. At&t networks?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Rooted .621

I am disappointed that the Nexus 4 wasn't released on Verizon, but at the same time I'm disappointed that a Nexus phone on Verizon cannot live up to its name thanks to Verizon's strict policies.

I have decided to just go with the Droid Razr Maxx HD. Battery life is really important to me. Also, my Droid X is driving me crazy, so I can't wait any longer.

ROM
    Kang/CM10

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Hand View Post
    So what's the verdict on T Mobile vs. At&t networks?

If you want to utilize the 42 Mbps capabilities, then it is tmobile. The downside to the tmobile network is that the coverage isn't as vast as at&t. At&t spectrums HSPA+ highest Mbps is 21.

Hope that helps.

Brought to you by the Google Galaxy Nexus. It IS better than the iPhone 5.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - RIP
    CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1

Mostly what attracts me to the new Nexus is all software. Which the Nexus should/would get. Heck, the biggest one I am interested to play with is photosphere which sounds like Dmmarck almost has fixed. Higher camera resolution and wireless charging sound great but not a mandatory feature for me. The thing that would probably bum me the most is not seeing certain peoples names come up in the Verizon Nexus forum any more.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by imnotajedi View Post
    Mostly what attracts me to the new Nexus is all software. Which the Nexus should/would get. Heck, the biggest one I am interested to play with is photosphere which sounds like Dmmarck almost has fixed. Higher camera resolution and wireless charging sound great but not a mandatory feature for me. The thing that would probably bum me the most is not seeing certain peoples names come up in the Verizon Nexus forum any more.
    Other than that separate viewer app, Photosphere works when uploaded to G+.

BlackManX did tweet this though.

https://twitter.com/black_man_x/stat...74338065551360

And he also said this later:

So now that there is no Verizon Nexus 4, what are you going to do/get?-blackmanx.jpg

And somewhere else in his feed he mentioned don't expect $199. But I might be reading his intent wrong.

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    I don't think Google will ever release another Nexus phone on Verizon. Going to have to hook up with a different carrier if you want a new Nexus. It will be a blast...only 16gb of storage, so you have to keep all you stuff in the god almighty cloud, then never be able to access any of it because the sub par carrier coverage sucks. At least when you can access it, you'll be able to quickly chew through all your limited data and generate some whopping monthly bills. The whole concept of cloud storage sucks!
    It's quite obvious you don't use the cloud. I have unlimited data and still use it often. While it's not for the super lazy, as you may have to check and/or uncheck a few boxes while you're in wifi to change content, it's the future. Deal with it

thread hijack....

what cloud service do you guys recommend for storing MP4's to stream....
    Ive got a bunch of kids dvds I ripped to my phone right now... over 20GB worth... going to run out of room soon...
    thanx

I got my upgrade coming up in November. I think it's the Note 2 for me. Even if Verizon was getting the Nexus 4. The S Pen functions look very cool and useful IMO.

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

Quote Originally Posted by pheatton View Post
    Im thinking that if VZW does not get the Nexus 4 that I will buy a used Galaxy S 3 then root and install a nice clean JB ROM.
    While I'm happily upgrading my lady from her dumb phone to a GS3, it's not an AOSP device and custom roms etc. will "never" run as good on them. I wouldn't dare ditch my LTE gnex for a GS#. Sure, there's some opinion in here for you, but the GS3 is hardly an upgrade to a proper gnex in real world situations. YMMV of course.

I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon got a version of the Nexus 4 with 32gb and LTE in the Spring - Summer. I don't think people realize the power of Verizon and other big carriers. If they want the Nexus Google will do everything in their power to make it happen. They may tell them they have to name it something else but they will try to get it on Verizon. That's too many possible users to pass up because of some "philosophy."

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

While I'm a bit bummed the N4 isn't coming to Verizon, I'm really happy Google said you to the carriers. Personally, I'm on a grandfathered corporate family plan that I've had for years. I pay less than $60 a month when all is said and done. So, buying an unsubsidized phone and going with a subpar carrier for about the same money doesn't make sense financially or otherwise. I travel often for business...never have issues with VZW services. Can't say the same for some collegues on other carriers. Now, the minute VZW attempts to change my plan in one way or another I will gladly buy an unlocked Nexus from the play store and go the prepaid route. You can really save a lot of money without sacrificing too much, for what I've read and heard from friends. It's amazing Google can release such beastly devices at the prices they are offering them. Anyone who can't see that isn't in touch with reality. This is all good for us, the consumers. Since I'm so freaking happy with my LTE gnex running the latest and greatest software to come down the pipe, I can see myself burning some cash on a Nexus 10 that I otherwise don't need At the very least, I'm really excited to flash the 4.2 leaks and custom roms that are surely to come following the N4 and N10 releases. In a way, the N4 being non-LTE only further future proofs our LTE nexi

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

Quote Originally Posted by modidlee View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon got a version of the Nexus 4 with 32gb and LTE in the Spring - Summer. I don't think people realize the power of Verizon and other big carriers. If they want the Nexus Google will do everything in their power to make it happen. They may tell them they have to name it something else but they will try to get it on Verizon. That's too many possible users to pass up because of some "philosophy."

I agree with this, and I hope it happens as well. A lot of people don't seem to realize how cutting edge this new Nexus 4 is from a hardware perspective. They only see their missing wants (lol ok, NEEDs for the "entitled" generation). From the tech sites (note TECH sites, not blogs/forums/etc) its hardware will still be cutting edge well into 2013-14. We'll see, but my gnex still blows most people's newer devices out of the water in real world scenarios, so this Nexus should really be something. Software > hardware and this baby has the best of both for today and the forseeable future.

Well, I threaten to leave big red all the time, but the reality is there are a lot of places I travel that have zero coverage for anyone but Verizon. My dream is for another LTE nexus with 32 gigs of onboard storage. If that doesn't happen, I just need to shoot for unlocked bootloaders and CM supported devices.

Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    It's quite obvious you don't use the cloud. I have unlimited data and still use it often. While it's not for the super lazy, as you may have to check and/or uncheck a few boxes while you're in wifi to change content, it's the future. Deal with it
    I think the cloud can be great for storing things or for backups, but just because Google wants us to use it, hardly defines it as the future. Memory is way to small and way too cheap for it not to be readily available in all phones. Like you, I have unlimited data, but whenever we next upgrade phones, that's gone. You could fight that off for a while by paying full price, but I doubt that will work out well. Whether it's this year, or next, or maybe the one after that, we're all going to be on a limited plan. Additionally, for those that travel, there are still too many places that cloud data is inaccessible. I'm not trying to rain on your cloud (ha ha...that's funny)...the cloud has it's uses, but on board memory is too easy to come by for a premier device to skimp on it.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Global Posts
    364 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lortay78 View Post
    Well, I threaten to leave big red all the time, but the reality is there are a lot of places I travel that have zero coverage for anyone but Verizon. My dream is for another LTE nexus with 32 gigs of onboard storage. If that doesn't happen, I just need to shoot for unlocked bootloaders and CM supported devices.
    Ditto.... I was talking with me wife about dumping Verizon, but I travel alot and Verizon is the only provider that gets reception at my wife's work. So it's do I want the next nexus and marginal coverage, or do I want great coverage and a non-nexus device. But seeing how Verizon requested the locked bootloader on the S3, who knows what other bull they might pull.

Sent from my wireless telephonic device.

ROM
    Jelly Beans build 6

I am going to be a first time android user switching from iphone in January on Verizon. I am very tech-savvy so i was hoping i could get a nexus because i heard that those are the best for rooting and all that stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions for me keeping in mind that i must remain on Verizon and knowing that i want a phone that will get a lot of roms and everything else. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by crl95 View Post
    I am going to be a first time android user switching from iphone in January on Verizon. I am very tech-savvy so i was hoping i could get a nexus because i heard that those are the best for rooting and all that stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions for me keeping in mind that i must remain on Verizon and knowing that i want a phone that will get a lot of roms and everything else. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    If we do not get a Nexus before then, I would recommend the Samsung Galaxy S3. That is what I currently own and I am running Android 4.1.2 Jellybean just fine on it, now there are some hiccups here and there, but nothing a simple reboot can't fix! That's what I would recommend on the current lineup from Verizon.

I really like Nexus experience, but when I come up for upgrade in early January I'm thinking Razr Maxx or maybe wait until SIV

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

I decided to buy a GS3 as thanks to the bootloader hack it could be the only unlockable bootloader phone we see on Verizon ever again without paying $600. I loved my GNex but I had the opportunity to get a GS3 for new contract price without having to extend my contract and am now running CM10 on it. I even enabled the nav bar and disabled the hardware keys. It may not be a perfect AOSP device but it is certainly better than my GNex in performance, battery, and signal strength. Gonna roll with this until my contract is up in September 2013 and then will see what's going on then.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast