Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Default Re: So now that there is no Verizon Nexus 4, what are you going to do/get?

I'm on a grandfathered corporate plan with unlimited everything for a steal. VZW is the only network to give me excellent coverage everywhere that I travel. So, leaving VZW is not an option. The only Android phones I'll ever own are Nexus devices. So, if VZW doesn't get a new Nexus in the next year, there's a strong possibility that I'll get an iPhone.

Default Re: So now that there is no Verizon Nexus 4, what are you going to do/get?

The og nexus and the Nexus s are still relevant phones getting updates regularly. I am sure the gnex will be good to go for at least a year more. How many phones have Jellybean? Not many. We will have 4.2 very soon.

Sent from my mind ()
    Domo Arigato, Mr Roboto!

ROM
    CM10|Stk/CM10.1|4.1 AOSP

Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    The og nexus and the Nexus s are still relevant phones getting updates regularly. I am sure the gnex will be good to go for at least a year more. How many phones have Jellybean? Not many. We will have 4.2 very soon.

Sent from my mind ()
    Disagree. OG Nexus is done, though Nexus S still does have Jellybean officially as does the GNex :P
    Happy Nexus 4 User

I'm in the same boat.. next summer i am up with my contract on my droid charge. decent enough phone, rooting it has been a bit of a chore and lost it on last upgrade.. I so dearly want new phone with multicore.. and preferably nexus. Unfortunately, even the nexus line at verizon is tainted. we just got LTE in my city and its damn fast, sucks even more that my work is completely against free wifi, and poorly implemented elsewhere. When i do get stuck on 3G its a painful experience, browsing is slow, downloading takes forever. I know these are 1st world problems..

I'm leaving for an unlocked Nexus 4 and prepaid at 1/3 the monthly price. I already favor Wi-Fi and 3G over LTE due to battery life issues on my GN, and my wife and I are no longer willing to pay so much more $$$ for no improvement in service. Prepaid here we come!
    Droidintorrance likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bentsh View Post
    I am disappointed that the Nexus 4 wasn't released on Verizon, but at the same time I'm disappointed that a Nexus phone on Verizon cannot live up to its name thanks to Verizon's strict policies.

I have decided to just go with the Droid Razr Maxx HD. Battery life is really important to me. Also, my Droid X is driving me crazy, so I can't wait any longer.
    Thats exactly why Verizon is still winning no matter which choice you make. They are keeping your business and not having to bend over to Google. Win for them, and you also think you've one.

Blegh, June 2013 is when I will be looking for my upgrade. Until then my GSIII will work.

I just want the shiny backplate dammit!

Well lets see. My current phone has some of the latest JB features on it and is still buttery smooth so I don't have to upgrade just yet. I was looking forward to the Nexus 4 but since it got no Verizon love in any way shape or form, I will have to wait until the next version of Nexus. GSM coverage at my house is basically non-existent. Basically I live in a sort of valley and in order to get any GSM signal whether ATT or Tmo I have to drive about 1/2 mile from home. Sucks. Verizon gives me a constant 2 bars of service though. I purchased a GSM phone (Nokia E71) and a Straight talk SIM in the past to test the GSM coverage and it has not improved in the year and a half that since I bought that phone. When GSM coverage works in my home, then and only then, can I begin to think about switching to a phone that relies solely on GSM networks. Until then, I'm stuck using 3G CDMA devices that use Verizon or at least Sprint and their respective MVNOs. I currently have my Fascinate on Page Plus Cellular so I get great Verizon coverage for $30 a month.

If my phone does decide to stop functioning, I will probably get the Razr M and continue on PPC.

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
    So now that there is no Verizon Nexus 4, what are you going to do/get?
    Switching to TMobile...

I agree with Google's rationale about wresting control away from the carriers re: no-LTE and dig the idea of a reasonably priced non-subsidized phone...

So I was interested in the Nexus 4 until I learned:

-it had no removable battery (I'm huge on Seido extendeds)
    -It only came up to 16GB (I could be a cloud guy as I'm VZW Unlimited, but again it's not on VZW!)
    -Wireless charging I could care less about...

Also the HTC 1080p phone...I don't NEED 1080p on a cellphone screen lol. I'm really not planning on watching a ton of Netflix or whatever. I may end up getting a Nexus 10 for the gf and I have an iPad 3 already. I don't see anything else coming in the short term that really excites me. I also just started a nice cushy 100k job, so my little present to myself...

I had the Galaxy Note 2 preordered from midnight the first chance you could. I was going to cancel if something better was announced but it doesn't look like it. The fact that I can pop my Class 10 Sandisk MicroSD card in there, AND that Seido will have an NFC capable battery out for it, solidifies the decision.

ROM
    Stock

I am considering the RAZR MAXX HD or the HTC DNA after selling my GNex.

The things that I don't like about the MAXX are the RAM and the camera quality. The camera app is nice, though. The processor is not a quad core, but the S4 is great in dual or quad. I like the new Motorola UI. Battery life is a no brainer for the plus category on this phone. I like the Circles widget.

For the DNA, if the UI is the same as the J Butterfly or the Rhyme, that might be a deal breaker. I like the normal Sense UI. I like the camera and the camera app (HDR mode needs some work - based on the current HTC phones). The screen will be great. Processor and RAM are the same as the Nexus 4 and internal storage should be the same as well. The only issue with the RAM is Sense uses more of it than stock and the low memory settings are different in Sense than in stock. With 2 GB, I don't think that this will be an issue. The battery could be larger, but I should be able to get through a whole day.

With either of these phones, I need to purchase them at full price to keep unlimited data. I know the MAXX will be updated to JB (probably 4.1, I won't hold my breath for 4.2) and the DNA will ship with JB 4.1 (still not holding my breath for 4.2, it is VZW FWIW). The one thing that I will hate about both of these phones is the Droid startup sound. I know I can root these and delete it, but even hearing it once is too much. I will also need to root them to delete the bloat. Things like this are why I would prefer the Nexus 4.

I'm gonna probably get the note 2. With my wife and mother in law and myself all on the same plan, it's just not worth the headache to switch things up for prepaid. Besides, AT&T is the only carrier that even gets decent, though still no where close to Verizon, coverage. This would mean straight talk is the only option, and I would probably come dangerously close to their caps. So Big Red is pretty much it for me, and the Note 2 looks to be the best available.

I am secretly hoping, though, that a Nexus 4 will come out on Verizon in January as rumored, and so can still exchange the note 2 for it within 90 days at Costco. I can dream right?
    Nev

ROM
    Stock 4.1.1, Stock 4.0.4

I can upgrade around Christmas, so I think I very well may pass my Nexus down to my daughter and use the upgrade for the Note 2.

I have another year to go on contract so I am sticking with my GNEX. I am not one who even buys a new phone every 2 years more like when the phone will no longer work. This happened with my previous phone, out of memory, half empty SD card, phone unable to load additional apps and constantly complaining about low storage. I go with the Nexus because I don't like carrier skins and additions.

So far I have been updated to 4.1.1 and as long as the phone keeps getting updates and I can run the latest apps in the market I am good. My contract is through my company so I get a discount and I doubt another Nexus will be coming to Verizon so if I need another phone perhaps MOTO since it seems to have the least amount of skin on it and their recent phones look pretty good. I do wish Moto would switch to the IPS+ display

I want a note 3! Cause it's gonna be awhile before my contract is up.

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1 and 4.2

I am not upgrade eligible (or able to cancel my contract) until late next year, so I will just wait to see what happens. If the next Nexus phone is on Verizon, I will be all over it. If not, I may cancel in December and go elsewhere for the Nexus 5 (or whatever it ends up being called).
    "My work is not a piece of writing designed to meet the taste of an immediate public, but was done to last forever." - Thucydides, ancient Greek historian

Its a no brainer for me. The Galaxy S3 is an awesome device at the moment. Unless you're feeling froggy the you should leap for the Galaxy Note 2.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

I'm not due for an upgrade till late next year. Hopefully Google pulls their head out of their *** and releases the next Nexus on Verizon or at least with lte

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    BB World Edition->Moto Droid->BB Tour->Moto RAZR->Samsung Galaxy Nexus->Google Nexus 7->iPhone 5
    Always remember to wipe your Davlik!!!
    tx_tuff likes this.
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Wait a month, figure out what to do with the Galaxy Nexus, purchase the Nexus 4 on a whim regardless lol
    the luxury of having a job haha. soab.

* INCREDIBLE * MECHA * TORO * GROUPER * GALAXY S3 *
    * [TORO RADIOS] * [NEXUS WALLS] * [GROUPER GUIDE] * [CHATTER] *

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

I'll be ditching Verizon and the Gnex for the Nexus 4 soon as it goes on sale. I agree with the points about losing a removable battery, that's a shame, but not a dealbreaker for me. Storage-wise, I can get by just fine with 16 gigs, I always have around 20 gigs free on my gnex anyway. The processor is a huge step up and so is the display, but to be quite honest, what makes the difference is money. Did the math the other day and realized that if I cancel my VZW contract early and have to pay the fee, buy the Nexus 4 from the play store, and get a $30 prepaid plan from Tmobile I will still save around $600 over the next year versus waiting til my VZW contract is up in December 2013. After that I'll save $1200 a year by getting off Verizon. It's kind of a no-brainer.

Of course I live in NYC and will have excellent coverage by Tmo.. I know there are some people who don't have that option just because the coverage near them is terrible. But some people should look at the math.. I was honestly shocked to see that I still save that much money by switching and having to pay the early termination fee with VZ. Like I said, no-brainer though. If not for that I'm certainly happy with my Gnex and would be for a while still.
    tcapote likes this.

Keep my phone for as long as it lives. love it.
    I'd bet Cory's Right Arm on that!
    tx_tuff likes this.

ROM
    Stock

I have changed my mind. Goodbye Verizon. Nexus 4 on prepaid!
    2defmouze likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    I'll be ditching Verizon and the Gnex for the Nexus 4 soon as it goes on sale. I agree with the points about losing a removable battery, that's a shame, but not a dealbreaker for me. Storage-wise, I can get by just fine with 16 gigs, I always have around 20 gigs free on my gnex anyway. The processor is a huge step up and so is the display, but to be quite honest, what makes the difference is money. Did the math the other day and realized that if I cancel my VZW contract early and have to pay the fee, buy the Nexus 4 from the play store, and get a $30 prepaid plan from Tmobile I will still save around $600 over the next year versus waiting til my VZW contract is up in December 2013. After that I'll save $1200 a year by getting off Verizon. It's kind of a no-brainer.

Of course I live in NYC and will have excellent coverage by Tmo.. I know there are some people who don't have that option just because the coverage near them is terrible. But some people should look at the math.. I was honestly shocked to see that I still save that much money by switching and having to pay the early termination fee with VZ. Like I said, no-brainer though. If not for that I'm certainly happy with my Gnex and would be for a while still.
    Hey 2def,

How did you figure out what your etf was going to be? My current contract is up in dec 2013.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    Hey 2def,

How did you figure out what your etf was going to be? My current contract is up in dec 2013.
    Actually I was probably off.. I assumed it would be the full $350 but in fact I think it's less, like $10 for every month you have fulfilled, which would put it at like $220 or something for me (too lazy to check, but you can find the info on VZW's website, lol) so my savings should be even higher
    Thanked by:
    Custom User Title

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

I plan on leaving even if they get another Nexus. Too expensive. LTE is too spotty and I use wifi mostly, anyway.
    Please use the Thanks button below and to the right.

Once they release a 32 GB Nexus 4 I may consider leaving Verizon.
    I think I'll buy, try it out on one of the prepaid cards, and if I like it, drop Verizon. If I don't like it, sell it on eBay or Craigslist.

Sent from my wireless telephonic device.
    Last edited by jova33; 11-08-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast