So now that there is no Verizon Nexus 4, what are you going to do/get?

aestep1014

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna probably get the note 2. With my wife and mother in law and myself all on the same plan, it's just not worth the headache to switch things up for prepaid. Besides, AT&T is the only carrier that even gets decent, though still no where close to Verizon, coverage. This would mean straight talk is the only option, and I would probably come dangerously close to their caps. So Big Red is pretty much it for me, and the Note 2 looks to be the best available.

I am secretly hoping, though, that a Nexus 4 will come out on Verizon in January as rumored, and so can still exchange the note 2 for it within 90 days at Costco. :) I can dream right?

Nev

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I can upgrade around Christmas, so I think I very well may pass my Nexus down to my daughter and use the upgrade for the Note 2.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I have another year to go on contract so I am sticking with my GNEX. I am not one who even buys a new phone every 2 years more like when the phone will no longer work. This happened with my previous phone, out of memory, half empty SD card, phone unable to load additional apps and constantly complaining about low storage. I go with the Nexus because I don't like carrier skins and additions.

So far I have been updated to 4.1.1 and as long as the phone keeps getting updates and I can run the latest apps in the market I am good. My contract is through my company so I get a discount and I doubt another Nexus will be coming to Verizon so if I need another phone perhaps MOTO since it seems to have the least amount of skin on it and their recent phones look pretty good. I do wish Moto would switch to the IPS+ display

Salacon

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I am not upgrade eligible (or able to cancel my contract) until late next year, so I will just wait to see what happens. If the next Nexus phone is on Verizon, I will be all over it. If not, I may cancel in December and go elsewhere for the Nexus 5 (or whatever it ends up being called).

roaztb33f

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Its a no brainer for me. The Galaxy S3 is an awesome device at the moment. Unless you're feeling froggy the you should leap for the Galaxy Note 2.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm not due for an upgrade till late next year. Hopefully Google pulls their head out of their ass and releases the next Nexus on Verizon or at least with lte

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'll be ditching Verizon and the Gnex for the Nexus 4 soon as it goes on sale. I agree with the points about losing a removable battery, that's a shame, but not a dealbreaker for me. Storage-wise, I can get by just fine with 16 gigs, I always have around 20 gigs free on my gnex anyway. The processor is a huge step up and so is the display, but to be quite honest, what makes the difference is money. Did the math the other day and realized that if I cancel my VZW contract early and have to pay the fee, buy the Nexus 4 from the play store, and get a $30 prepaid plan from Tmobile I will still save around $600 over the next year versus waiting til my VZW contract is up in December 2013. After that I'll save $1200 a year by getting off Verizon. It's kind of a no-brainer.

Of course I live in NYC and will have excellent coverage by Tmo.. I know there are some people who don't have that option just because the coverage near them is terrible. But some people should look at the math.. I was honestly shocked to see that I still save that much money by switching and having to pay the early termination fee with VZ. Like I said, no-brainer though. If not for that I'm certainly happy with my Gnex and would be for a while still.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'll be ditching Verizon and the Gnex for the Nexus 4 soon as it goes on sale. I agree with the points about losing a removable battery, that's a shame, but not a dealbreaker for me. Storage-wise, I can get by just fine with 16 gigs, I always have around 20 gigs free on my gnex anyway. The processor is a huge step up and so is the display, but to be quite honest, what makes the difference is money. Did the math the other day and realized that if I cancel my VZW contract early and have to pay the fee, buy the Nexus 4 from the play store, and get a $30 prepaid plan from Tmobile I will still save around $600 over the next year versus waiting til my VZW contract is up in December 2013. After that I'll save $1200 a year by getting off Verizon. It's kind of a no-brainer.

Of course I live in NYC and will have excellent coverage by Tmo.. I know there are some people who don't have that option just because the coverage near them is terrible. But some people should look at the math.. I was honestly shocked to see that I still save that much money by switching and having to pay the early termination fee with VZ. Like I said, no-brainer though. If not for that I'm certainly happy with my Gnex and would be for a while still.

Hey 2def,

How did you figure out what your etf was going to be? My current contract is up in dec 2013.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey 2def,

How did you figure out what your etf was going to be? My current contract is up in dec 2013.

Actually I was probably off.. I assumed it would be the full $350 but in fact I think it's less, like $10 for every month you have fulfilled, which would put it at like $220 or something for me (too lazy to check, but you can find the info on VZW's website, lol) so my savings should be even higher :)

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I plan on leaving even if they get another Nexus. Too expensive. LTE is too spotty and I use wifi mostly, anyway.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Once they release a 32 GB Nexus 4 I may consider leaving Verizon.
I think I'll buy, try it out on one of the prepaid cards, and if I like it, drop Verizon. If I don't like it, sell it on eBay or Craigslist.

Sent from my wireless telephonic device.

Last edited:

skarletknite

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
ditto. i also live in nyc and was an early lte adopter on verizon. it was fantastic until my thunderbolt was dead in less than 2hrs. but over the past ~9mos, my wife's GN on at&t 3g has frequently had FASTER uploads than my verizon lte GN. so tmo's hspa+ 42 will in all likelihood be much faster. while i agree lte is the future, considering how quickly the verizon lte network has deteriorated here, its not ready, and lte radios that crush the battery and burn your face / melt your ballz arent ready either. att lte is much faster in nyc already...and news today shows they're committed to building it out. so we have plenty of time before lte is ready for prime time. right now, its just not. verizon lte = horrible battery life, ~$90 per month, the same download speed as hspa or slower than hspa+ (ok upload is much faster), and updates months after everyone else gets them. i'll take faster speeds, better battery life, immediate updates and $60 less per month. that's a lot of compensation for the things people are complaining about: permanent battery, 16g, etc.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
ATT and Tmo do not offer coverage where I live. We are stuck with big red for now...

So Verizon is the only provider that sells service in your area?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Bears

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 4 doesn't do much for me at all so I'm staying put for now. If I get really bored I'll look into a used S3 to hold me off until my upgrade in August.

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
My contract is up in April 2013. I do have an upgrade in December but still trying to decide if I want to stay on Verizon. My gnexus works fine, haven't had any trouble so I guess I am not in rush for a new phone. I might wait see what happens a CES and maybe Motorola will have something for Verizon that's backed by Google that will keep me around. You really can't beat Verizon service though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL