Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By turdbogls
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Using Galaxy Nexus during Hurricane "Sandy"

Luckily my neighborhood didn't lose power while Sandy hit, nor did we get flooded. But the surrounding areas are a different matter.

But did lose internet and cable (TWC), so I was relying on my SGN heavily for both info and entertainment.

VZW's 4G-LTE chugged around without interruption. And I was easily able to check out news websites.

I watched a bunch a YouTube videos, but as many of you know, as you soon as you start watching videos, the battery gets sucked in extremely fast. Basically, I am not even sure you can watch more than 1 hour of video from full juice to none, it goes down that fast.

So, for reference, for those without power to recharge, watching videos on our SGN is not recommended unless you have a few extra batteries.

The emergency reaffirmed my decision, that my next phone will be a Galaxy Note II. When there is no power, you have no access to WiFi, so, cellular is the best option, and you want as large of an screen as possible. Or at least I want, if that's all I have to use. So, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, is definitely on my list as an upgrade.

Good luck to all of you who are affected by this storm.

Default Re: Using Galaxy Nexus during Hurricane "Sandy"

Hey with PUFFIN web browser you get a full PC browser on android.
    Either use blackmart or APTOIDE(bazaar news & aptoide install Open then install aptoide, bottom left, )

Good luck with the storm.

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    ROM
    changes all the time

you should be able to go a couple hours on a charge while streaming on LTE. i drop about 40% when i watch a 45 minute netflix video.
    also, why limit yourself to a phone that you may not like simply becuase it has a huge battery? I would much rather get a phone that i could use 24/7 and buy a couple batteries as emergency backups or something. Dont get me wrong, if you like the Note 2 and can handle the size, it would be a great phone for sure...but i personally couldn't do it and wouldn't buy it because there MAY be a time when i need the extra battery and screen size.
    especially when the extra $100 you pay for the phone over something else could easily take up 5 extra batteries.
    again, my personal opinion.

hope you and everyone you know are safe up there. this storm was much worse than i had expected it to be. hoping for a quick and safe recovery for all that where affected.
    You know your rooted when bootloops don't scare you anymore.
    quicksilver53 likes this.

ROM
    AOKP

I have a flashlight that I wind up to use and it also acts as a backup phone charger I had no problem during that storm )))
    nothing nothing nothing

Last hurricane we had here I was at work with backup power, but the wife used the car to charge her phone with.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

if you like the Note 2 and can handle the size
    I do like it and I can handle the size. it's less than an inch larger than the SGN. for my use the SGN is simply too small. I would consider a 7" if it could fit in comfortably in my pants pocket. I would carry a 10" 4G tablet if I had a place to put it at all times, not just when I carry a backpack. my business is all on the web. for me the 5.5" would be a compromise of a smaller screen I am willing to take.