Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dcastillo
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

Default Help me decide...nexus or S3

I am having a hard time deciding between the nexus and s3. I like the thought of pure Android, and no bloat. But I also don't plan on rooting..so is it really worth it? The s3 is getting some love from lifeproof and seidio with good cases. Opinions and thoughts greatly appreciated.. Thanks

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    552 Global Posts

Default Help me decide...nexus or S3

S3 will probably be a better choice on Verizon.

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP (M5) Franco (M4)

Default Re: Help me decide...nexus or S3

S3 hands down.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by bailman View Post
    I am having a hard time deciding between the nexus and s3. I like the thought of pure Android, and no bloat. But I also don't plan on rooting..so is it really worth it? The s3 is getting some love from lifeproof and seidio with good cases. Opinions and thoughts greatly appreciated.. Thanks

It all depends on what you are looking for. The Nexus will give you a pure Google experience. For me that is a big plus.

I also own an S3. It is a great phone. But, the OS is corrupted with Touch Wiz. The US version is still using ICS. The screen is better, it has a faster processor and better battery life.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

S3, although no matter what you go with updates from Verizon will arrive painfully slowly.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    S3, although no matter what you go with updates from Verizon will arrive painfully slowly.

But at least with a Nexus, they will arrive eventually

sent from a Nexus, nothing less will do...
    pauldroidr2d2 likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

I have found a brand new 32GB blue s3 for $380..add long as it turns out good at the VZW store it seems too good to pass up? I don't want to sign another VZW contract, and don't want to pay $700 new off contract from VZW direct. I'm having a hard time finding a good reliable nexus, that is also in like new condition.

Quote Originally Posted by bailman View Post
    I have found a brand new 32GB blue s3 for $380..add long as it turns out good at the VZW store it seems too good to pass up? I don't want to sign another VZW contract, and don't want to pay $700 new off contract from VZW direct. I'm having a hard time finding a good reliable nexus, that is also in like new condition.

That's a good price. If it doesn't have a bad esn or anything you should grab it.

I had a nexus for months.. my brother owns the s3 and now I have a RAZR m
    The RAZR m is the superior phone and the is is basically vanilla android. So you should check out the RAZR m. I'll never go back to Samsung.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post

The S3 at best will receive JB. The Nexus while slower than other carriers will receive each update that is released.

Companies like Samsung, Moto, as well as the carriers want us to purchase new phones instead receiving many updates on our existing phones. Just my opinion.

Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    The S3 at best will receive JB. The Nexus while slower than other carriers will receive each update that is released.

Companies like Samsung, Moto, as well as the carriers want us to purchase new phones instead receiving many updates on our existing phones. Just my opinion.

If you would have said key lime pie, I would think about agreeing with you. The s3 will see whatever is the next version past jb. Not so sure about the one after that though

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    If you would have said key lime pie, I would think about agreeing with you. The s3 will see whatever is the next version past jb. Not so sure about the one after that though

If it does see it that update will not take place until whatever OS is released after key lime.

No matter how you cut it, no matter the spin placed on it the OEM's and carriers, especially VZW have a horrible track record for getting major OS updates out.

If you're not going to root, stick with the Galaxy S3. It's a great device with lots of potential.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I'm in the same one boat; can't decide which one to get. I'm leaning towards the Nexus 4 because as an long time iPhone user, I'm used to being able to still update my 3 year old phone with the latest OS immediately. Whereas Samsung's S2 still haven't even got Jelly Bean (unless you go through installing ROMs which as a normal user, I seriously cannot be bothered with).

Note 2!
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    If it does see it that update will not take place until whatever OS is released after key lime.

No matter how you cut it, no matter the spin placed on it the OEM's and carriers, especially VZW have a horrible track record for getting major OS updates out.

No argument from me about how the oems and mostly the carriers drag their feet with updates but I would bet that the s3 sees klp within 4 months of the announcement of it

Quote Originally Posted by onevivip View Post
    I'm in the same one boat; can't decide which one to get. I'm leaning towards the Nexus 4 because as an long time iPhone user, I'm used to being able to still update my 3 year old phone with the latest OS immediately. Whereas Samsung's S2 still haven't even got Jelly Bean (unless you go through installing ROMs which as a normal user, I seriously cannot be bothered with).
    if I were in your situation, I would absolutely pick the Galaxy S3.

I own both VZW Galaxy Nexus and VZW Galaxy S3. The S3 is without a doubt easier to use for a former iPhone user.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    No argument from me about how the oems and mostly the carriers drag their feet with updates but I would bet that the s3 sees klp within 4 months of the announcement of it

Well, the S3 in the US still hasn't received JB. JB has been out for a while now too. JB has been updated once since it was pushed to the Nexus to and the VZW Nexus still doesn't have it either. And that phone gets updates quicker than the other phones on VZW do.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Wrong, Sprint has it

I have both and while I'm currently using the Nexus I can say the GS3 is an awesome step up. Better battery, larger screen, optimized processor. But all this is to be expected seeing as the GS3 is a newer device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by: