Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: My master plan on leaving Verizon

Things are coming together... there is one thing that I've haven't done and that is to find the wife a phone when I cut the VZ cord... The wife currently has a LG Octane, previously she and I had the LG Env3 (mauve) which she loved..! The Octane not so much, I'm gonna go by the T-Mobile store at lunch just to see what kind of Feature phones they have and then look online...

Any suggestions, on a feature QWERTY phone...? I'm thinking of also giving her the pre-paid treatment with the other $30 plan, 1,500 minutes one. Our phone bill will be cut 2/3 from $180 to just $60...! Can't wait...!!!

So, features phones work the same, right? Just pop in a SIM card..? And activate online? Also thinking of porting her number over to Google Voice, the transition is going to be interesting, hopefully we can do it over a weekend.

the plan will work, if speed is not an issue.

As much as I hate Verizon Wireless, I do not know any other carrier in the US
    that can give me 12mbps(down)/10mbps(up) consistently.(that's what I've been
    getting from Verizon almost every single day since last December)

Global Posts
    931 Global Posts

Oops, sorry . . . removed post
    Last edited by revtech; 11-09-2012 at 09:06 AM.
    Mobile Enthusiast

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

Quote Originally Posted by Droidintorrance View Post
    Things are coming together... there is one thing that I've haven't done and that is to find the wife a phone when I cut the VZ cord... The wife currently has a LG Octane, previously she and I had the LG Env3 (mauve) which she loved..! The Octane not so much, I'm gonna go by the T-Mobile store at lunch just to see what kind of Feature phones they have and then look online...

Any suggestions, on a feature QWERTY phone...? I'm thinking of also giving her the pre-paid treatment with the other $30 plan, 1,500 minutes one. Our phone bill will be cut 2/3 from $180 to just $60...! Can't wait...!!!

So, features phones work the same, right? Just pop in a SIM card..? And activate online? Also thinking of porting her number over to Google Voice, the transition is going to be interesting, hopefully we can do it over a weekend.
    Just realize that if you port her number over to google voice and she uses google voice on her feature phone, she will not receive text messages to her feature phone from google voice. All texting would have to be done from whatever number the new carrier gives her, unless she logs into GV from her computer to text people. Maybe that wont be an issue for you, but it's good to point out.

Your Ideas sound very interesting. I was not aware that you could take a Google voice call from your data connection on your phone. I knew you could take it on your computer, but through data on your phone is new to me. Have you tested this by removing your sim, getting on wifi and trying to place/receive a call? That would be a game changer for me. I have an inactive smartphone at home right now that would be fantastic if i could use it as a "home" phone with my GV number.

Please keep the updates rolling.

Global Posts
    299 Global Posts

On the Google Voice subject, with ICS (or maybe it's JB?) and above it is integrated into the regular dialer. I found that even though Google Voice was not installed as an app on my Nexus, when someone called it (I don't know how that happened I haven't given anyone that number) it rang on my phone and gave me the regular call options. I never answered so I can't vouch for how that works. It looks like all you need is you Google account synced and have a Google Voice number.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Good article on the best Unlocked phones out there... in each price range...! No features phones... so it looks like this is the best excuse to get the wife onto a smartphone; she has been avoiding it, but I think I can make a smartphone to look like a feature phone...! lets see what she thinks, this weekend...!

Best unlocked Android phone for any budget, October 2012 | Android and Me
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

All I need now is my Nexus 4...!

My master plan on leaving Verizon-img_20121109_150545.jpg

All I need now is my Nexus 4...!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20121109_150545.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	45508
    good luck...

I travel extensively. T-Mobile prepaid works great in most major cities, with several exceptions(such as Chicago).

In many medium-size cities, T-Mobile doesn't even have 3G yet. Yes, I said THREE G. (for postpaid and prepaid)

Quote Originally Posted by Poseign View Post
    Just realize that if you port her number over to google voice and she uses google voice on her feature phone, she will not receive text messages to her feature phone from google voice. All texting would have to be done from whatever number the new carrier gives her, unless she logs into GV from her computer to text people. Maybe that wont be an issue for you, but it's good to point out.

Your Ideas sound very interesting. I was not aware that you could take a Google voice call from your data connection on your phone. I knew you could take it on your computer, but through data on your phone is new to me. Have you tested this by removing your sim, getting on wifi and trying to place/receive a call? That would be a game changer for me. I have an inactive smartphone at home right now that would be fantastic if i could use it as a "home" phone with my GV number.

Please keep the updates rolling.
    After reading the thread I decided to chime in. Currently I have Sprint and ported my number to Google voice through their free service. I love being able to use it as my voicemail. This week I accidently broke my Nexus S, without a backup phone, and still needed to make and receive calls on the go until I received my replacement. I installed Groove IP on my Verizon LTE Galaxy Tab 10.1 and have successfully been receiving and placing calls over LTE. When I'm in range of WIFI, and I hop on and save my data (not unltd) and it still works great. Heck I even took a call over LTE data on the freeway and they said they could hear me fine... Remind you this is on a tablet aka giant speakerphone Lol.

In the past when I didn't have an active phone for a couple months, I had made another separate gvoice# on a different gmail. I used my OG Droid with groove ip as well as Google voice app and I had a free WIFI line to make ad receive calls...

So to answer your question, yes you can take your inactive smartphone, install grooveip on it, and use it as your "home phone" with your gvoice#
    Thanked by:
    NotJustAPhone likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

sorry for the late updates... but I did get my nexus 4, yesterday, been really busy... testing the phone on the commute home and this morning; and in real world usage, I can't honestly tell a difference between LTE & HSPA; as a matter of fact, HSPA has out performed and more than kept up. I heard this from a few people now, places where LTE drops off HSPA has been doing great.. HSPA is a bit more narrow tho, for example, you can move just a few feet and be able to grab a signal, where as LTE is pretty consistent within any given area. Check out my G+ page, I clocked 10+ megs down, and I wasn't even in a 15+ area...! imagine 40+..!

One more thing, I don't know how LTE calculates data, but HSPA seems to be a more accurate calculation of data... streamed videos, podcast all the way home and this morning, and it only shows... at most 250 megs used; I would have used more than 300-350 megs on LTE for sure...!

Battery life is greatly improved & HSPA calls are crystal clear, not BT does muck things up slightly...

Google Voice & Groove is on the Nexus 4, gonna test that out extensively today... Testing SMS messaging & voice mail... too everything is checking out...

I'm confident on leaving VZ by the 4th when my month is up... will probably have to keep the wife on her own line, for now...
    Thanked by:

wait, you can use Google Voice to make calls over wi-fi? Since when? When I was traveling to Europe, I was told I cant use Google Voice over wifi because it is not a true VOIP and still needs a cell network signal for calls, and that is why Google voice uses your plans minutes.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

Google Voice is just a call forwarding service; but it is used in conjunction with Groove IP; please read my previous posts...

Update - although I get pretty good WiFi at work usually on internet, notifications and such, I actually clock pretty low bandwidth... just about 2-3 megs... so Groove IP over my work WiFi isn't gonna cut it... So when at work, I'll just exit Groove IP app, open up Gmail and take calls from there... already ordered a VOIP in earphone & mic...

so excited...
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

will be cutting the Verizon cord come Dec 3rd, and porting my long beloved number to Google Voice; I've been using Groove IP & Google Voice for the past week with my Nexus 4 and before that on the GNex. Calls from Groove are spotty, download speeds are always faster than upload, so you will always hear callers better than they can hear you. Calls on HSPA will work ok to poor on most places; I do find myself shouting and repeating a lot, so for those instances, using the 100 minutes will come in handy.

I do get decent WiFi at home and work; home works better with calls; in & out; but for some reason I only ping less than 1megs up at work, so calls are ok, but really poor for the most part. So, I bought in-hear microphone & earphones and am taking & making calls on gmail. When I get into work, I exit my Groove App, and calls into my Google Voice gets forwarded to Gmail... pretty sweet...

Between the 100 minutes in 'emergencies', gmail & my land-line; most people shouldn't know the difference. I'll try for another few weeks, but I might try Straight Talk with unlimited minutes just to ease the hassle, but I will still keep my number on Google Voice...

will be cutting the Verizon cord come Dec 3rd, and porting my long beloved number to Google Voice; I've been using Groove IP & Google Voice for the past week with my Nexus 4 and before that on the GNex. Calls from Groove are spotty, download speeds are always faster than upload, so you will always hear callers better than they can hear you. Calls on HSPA will work ok to poor on most places; I do find myself shouting and repeating a lot, so for those instances, using the 100 minutes will come in handy.

I do get decent WiFi at home and work; home works better with calls; in & out; but for some reason I only ping less than 1megs up at work, so calls are ok, but really poor for the most part. So, I bought in-hear microphone & earphones and am taking & making calls on gmail. When I get into work, I exit my Groove App, and calls into my Google Voice gets forwarded to Gmail... pretty sweet...

Between the 100 minutes in 'emergencies', gmail & my land-line; most people shouldn't know the difference. I'll try for another few weeks, but I might try Straight Talk with unlimited minutes just to ease the hassle, but I will still keep my number on Google Voice...
    how did it go after shutting off your Verizon? How are you liking your setup? Anything you would or are planning to change?

I would like to know as well. I never participated in this thread because at the time a month and a half ago, I had NO intention of leaving vz. Month and a half is a long time lol and lo and I am on straight talk att with an n4.
    First off, the drop in speed is drastic. For what I use my phone for, it don't bother me much. 80% of the time I am on wifi. The other 20, I can live with. I am mainly a crackflasher, so slow dl don't phase me. I download them 200 meg rom files on wifi.
    On the week or so I been on straight talk, I find it a great bang for the buck. I had the 450 nationwide plan, unlmted data and 1000 texts on VZ for like $90+ a month.
    On st I get unlimited text, talk and data for $45. They might throttle data, but I don't use much so idc. I don't use gv and I ported my number to st which was painless.
    So to get a cutting edge smartphone and pay half of what I was paying albiet slower speed = total satisfaction.
    Thanked by:
    NotJustAPhone likes this.

OH and another thing and this is Major!

NO STINKIN' CONTRACT.

Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    I would like to know as well. I never participated in this thread because at the time a month and a half ago, I had NO intention of leaving vz. Month and a half is a long time lol and lo and I am on straight talk att with an n4.
    First off, the drop in speed is drastic. For what I use my phone for, it don't bother me much. 80% of the time I am on wifi. The other 20, I can live with. I am mainly a crackflasher, so slow dl don't phase me. I download them 200 meg rom files on wifi.
    On the week or so I been on straight talk, I find it a great bang for the buck. I had the 450 nationwide plan, unlmted data and 1000 texts on VZ for like $90+ a month.
    On st I get unlimited text, talk and data for $45. They might throttle data, but I don't use much so idc. I don't use gv and I ported my number to st which was painless.
    So to get a cutting edge smartphone and pay half of what I was paying albiet slower speed = total satisfaction.
    What part of the country are you from? I'm from East TN, but from what I can tell ATT coverage seems to be pretty good here, Verizon is excellent pretty much everywhere I've been in the last 10 years on it, unless I'm WAY out in the boonies. I have 3 phones on my plan, all three smart phones and currently with our 19% discount I'm still paying $200.xx a month for them. So if I were to convert us over to ST, even if I have to pay tax on the $45, I'm still looking at saving at least $50 a month or $600 a year....however I've also been looking and have found several sources to purchase the refills for $39 or $40 and no tax which would end up saving us $80 a month or almost $1000 a year. So, this is would seem to be very lucrative depending on phone costs. However my wife and mother are on Iphones, (a 4s and a 4) and would be perfectly happy if I were to get them the gsm equivalent of each....so hopefully by the time I sell their phones it would be close to washing out, then I could sell my S3 and get a N4 and come out close as well.

It's all about location. My location won't help you, I'm in Hawaii. The nice thing about gsm is you can switch easily between att and tmo. With no contract, you could switch back and forth every month if you wanted. If you can handle 100 mins a month, tmo has a $30/month plan with unlimited data and texts. Gonna try that in a couple months.

Sent from my mako ()
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

Sorry fellas, been pretty busy with work & G+ I've consolidated my time online again, and been just focus on G+... so apologies... So been really been going on 2-weeks with just T-Mo's $30 plan, 5-Gigs, 100 mins, and using only Google Voice & Groove IP, things are working out great, but first some issues, I do try to keep calls over HSPA to a minimum, unless I'm getting consistent 1megs up, the caller will have issues hearing you. I have certain areas marked to make HSPA VOIP calls, and even then it varies day to day. Those are the time the 100 minutes come in handy, those precious 100 mins that I've already use about 80..!! ah..

VOIP calls on WiFi work well at home, although, when someone calls in, I am paranoid of shutting off all other internet traffic, including video and torrents, to get the best call quality. I live in a HSPA dead zone, so I can't make HSPA VOIP calls from home, strangely enough my work WiFi is inconsistent with WiFi-VOIP calls too, and is also a HSPA dead zone.. BUT the big saving grace is that making calls over Gmail has saved my ****...

Now the wonders of Groove & Google Voice, on ALL my devices now, my htc Desire, Gnex, N4 & N7 all have Groove & GV installed... what that means is that I can pick up ANY device and use it as a phone; along with Gmail, ALL my calls personal & professional can come thru the desktop, now SMS is done thru a web interface with keyboard. The wife has not notice a difference, my desktop calls come thru perfectly and I can spend hours on my desktop taking & making calls as usual.

When I get into work, I simply turn off my Groove IP app, and all calls gets forwarded to Gmail instantly... When I leave for lunch, I pick up my N4 or Desire, open up Groove and all the calls simply go there... very, very sweet setup. Now when I flash a new ROM, I don't have to back up SMS or a Call Log anymore, it's all on the cloud..!

Feels great to SMS on the old Desire again. I can be on a Gmail call, press * and the call will be transfer to my N4, then I can walk away from my desk and continue the conversation.

I will stay with T-Mo for while, the 100 mins will go quick, and their Voice service seems to be as good or better than VZ in my area. the biggest thing with using the N4 with T-Mo is the call quality is where it should be, no more random digital static, popping and loud screechings with VZ and the Gnex. Calls are perfect, and if I should run out of minutes, I have extra cash on the account at $.10/minute. But again, now with Gmail & VOIP I should not have to go over.

I will be watching those 100 mins like a hawk...!!!

PS...

Oh, lastly, Groove has lots of call settings from Echo Cancellation, to bumping up the Mic & Earphone gains, been trying to test out those settings too, it seems to help tremendously...

PSS...

Oh, and I love how with Google Voice, I can listen to each voice mail out of order, from the phone or desktop... and with anything Google, I never have to erase another voice mail again... I can even record in-coming calls and download voice mails, love that feature..! I can keep every important VM from the wife, clients and my son..! Really if you have a Nexus phone, Google Voice should be a Key Standard feature of your phone, F*** VZ..! can't believe I've been dialing *86 to check voice mail for years...!!!

Ever consider st att? It's unlimited talk. Yeah, it's $45/month but you wouldn't need to worry about your minutes. Att not so hot in your area?

Sent from my mako ()
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

Ever consider st att? It's unlimited talk. Yeah, it's $45/month but you wouldn't need to worry about your minutes. Att not so hot in your area?

Sent from my mako ()
    yup, that would make my life too easy.. Iove using tech to make my life more complicated but interesting... ^_^
    davey11 likes this.

Btw dit,
    Thanks for pointing out that android and me website. I love how they are pro gsm and mvno advocates. I am totally sold on unlocked gsm devices.
    Makes me cringe how I was tied to vz for so long. I feel so free!

Sent from my mako ()

Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Sent from my mako ()
    You can also choose to operate on the T-Mobile network when signing up for Straight Talk.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by NotJustAPhone View Post
    You can also choose to operate on the T-Mobile network when signing up for Straight Talk.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    True, but st doesn't offer tmo's $30 100 min plan. Gonna try that out soon. I really like st att but I think I can handle 100 mins/month and save 15 bucks.

Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

True, but st doesn't offer tmo's $30 100 min plan. Gonna try that out soon. I really like st att but I think I can handle 100 mins/month and save 15 bucks.
    If you go over 100 minutes, additional minutes are charged at 10 cents/minute. You just need to keep additional funds in your account to cover any overages.

Sent from my SGSIII
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast