Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Default Re: My master plan on leaving Verizon

Someone mentioned it earlier but I want to reiterate:

GV's lack of support for MMS can be a deal-breaker if you use your phone in "mission critical" settings (i.e. your job uses it to communicate work-relevant information). You might think "Oh I don't use MMS at all, I only use SMS". Well you don't have a choice in using MMS because group SMS messages sent from iPhones (and certain other devices) are automatically converted to MMS. That's major because you are NOT going to receive that "urgent meeting at 5pm" group text from your boss if he sent it from an iPhone.

Page Plus can only activate 3g phones so it will not work on his gnex.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

The majority of Verizon's Android Enthusiast customers including those who still have the Galaxy Nexus like myself WILL be leaving their service if they don't carry the Google Nexus 5. This will happen because the growing consensus among Android enthusiasts is that they are tired of Verizon's death grip-like control (locked bootloaders, bloatware and delayed/non-existant Android OS updates) of their Android devices. If they don't believe this, they should take a look at their own community forums and those of the most popular Android tech blogs on the internet (simply do a Google search with the terms "leaving verizon" "nexus 5" and you'll see what I mean). For many of them, the detriment of loosing grandfathered unlimited data, like myself, will no longer compel them to stay on Verizon's service. Simply carrying the Google Nexus 5 won't be enough though. Unlike the Galaxy Nexus, It has to be UNTOUCHED by their usual Android device business practices, the way Google meant it to be. I post this on Google Plus with a "+Verizon Wireless" to maybe grab their attention and give them a heads-up, in case they haven't been paying attention / listening to what your customers want.

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

The sad truth is, Verizon could care less about losing a small number of customers who are essentially a thorn in their side. Giving up control of devices on their network, putting money into timely testing of updates, and having customers who use a lot of data without paying extra for it is not in their financial interest, so there is no reason for them to change. As much as I dislike it, I understand where their decision. As many have said previously, it boils down to what is more important to each user... having a pure Nexus device or having Verizon's network coverage. For 98% of their customers, having the network wins.

yea.... if I can't get the nexus 5 I might leave my family's share plan and try something else. what will everyone go to? i haven't looked into any other carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    How can put this delicately? Once someone is used to Verizon's 4G speeds, it's really hard to go back down to AT&T or T-Mobile "4G" speeds.
    In my case, Verizon 4G has always given me 12mbps to 15mbps download and 8mbps to 11mbps uploads.(frequently tested using various speed
    test sites)

It will be like asking me to trade in my Bugatti Veyron for a Toyota Prius Hybrid. Sure, I'll save tons of money on gasoline.
    Why not LTE? Am I missing something here?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123