Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My master plan on leaving Verizon

Morning fellas.. been doing a lot of research this week and reading a lot of articles... as I'm gathering info and getting my facts straight, I will lay out my step-by-step master plan on leaving Verizon so that I don't get interrupted cell service. Please correct my if I get anything wrong and I am actively looking for advice...!

I posted this on my G+ the other day... My current VZ bill is around $178 every month... That is a whopping: $2062+ bill a year..!

My master plan on leaving Verizon-vz.png

That alone is my motivation for leaving. To make things a bit complicated, I do have a family plan with my wife's feature phone and my Gnex, we share 1,400 minutes.

Here is my plan of attack in chronological order:

1) This morning - finally activated my Google Voice - got a random number that doesn't work yet - will try call forwarding to my current VZ number and get to know the app and web interface.

2) On Nov 4th - my billing VZ billing cycle ends

3) Nov -13th - Place order for the Nexus 4 on Play store

4) Whenever the phone comes, hopefully in November - I have narrow it down to these two pre-paid plans to start off:

Straight Talk - $45 - Unlimited talk, text, web
    Welcome To Straight Talk

T-Mo - $30 - 100 min talk, unlimted text & web
    Monthly 4G Prepaid Plans | Compare Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile

Activate it going thru the web prompts, get new SIM card, get new phone number.

5) Once pre-paid service is proven, call, voice, data. I will cancel service with VZ. Pay my Early Termination Fee and transfer my number to Google Voice, pay the $20 to port my number.

6) Call forward my my new pre-paid number to my old VZ now Google Voice number. I can now call forward to any new pre-paid number I choose, I can get a new pre-paid sim every month and just add that to my Google Voice call forwarding.

7) Wipe the Gnex, and sell it on Craigslist.

8) Find the wife an unlock feature or basic qwerty Android phone. She will also be on pre-paid $30 (T-Mo 1,500 minutes), since she doesn't use data. Back up her contacts, she doesn't mind getting a new phone number. Or do the same and get her a Google Voice number also.

Question for current Google Voice users:

If someone calls my Google Voice number, and it is forwarded to my pre-paid number, will I be using minutes? I'm assuming yes, cause it is just being forwarded. And of course, calling out with the pre-paid will use minutes, even tho, it'll show my old VZ number as the caller ID. The only way Google Voice can save money by only using 100 minuets/month is if I forward it to a land line right?

I can call out using my Google Voice app? Somehow I don't see the dailer like I do on Skype...? In that case, I might just get the Straight Talk, so I don't worry about minutes.

thoughts..? recommendations...?

thanks...!
    Last edited by Droidintorrance; 11-01-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    Thanked by:
    MERCDROID likes this.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: My master plan on leaving Verizon

Alright.. got another piece of the puzzle... just paid for Groove IP, make a few calls over just 3G, not even 4G... sounds freaken 10 times better than Verizon, I'm so excited... all this freaken time, paying for VZ service and being treated like crap...! Alright, just waiting for my Google Voice number to activate...! and gonna try the incoming calls..!!! plan is coming together...

In my opinion, the most important step is 5) once service is proven....

Make sure of that. In my experience, no other service comes close to Verizon in terms of coverage (in general). Obviously this depends on location and if you are in a major city at&t and t-mo are probably just as good.

We have a 22% discount on our VZW bill and even with that we could still be cheaper going prepaid or even Sprint. The thing is, everywhere we travel, home, work, family, vacation spots, etc... VZW has excellent service. Ultimately that is most important. If you pay cheap but you don't have voice or data available, you are wasting money.

Also, see how data speeds are. I've been spoiled with the VZW 4g speeds.

Good luck! Hope it works out for you. I'll be hanging on to my Gnex another year and hope there is some Nexus option on VZW then.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    tx_tuff and MERCDROID like this.

Would like to know how this works for you.

My bill is the same amount as yours. My second line is an air card for my laptop which i hardly use.

Can't wait to chitcan my gnex for a non battery hog phone. Plus something i can hear other people on. I bought a cheap china prepaid phone just call people back on to be able to understand them!

Global Posts
    448 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperRez

Def make sure you are ok with the service on straight talk. Also are you unlimited data or 2gb? If 2gb, I would like to suggest Page plus (Kitty Wireless is a reseller). They have a plan with unlimited talk, text, and 2gb of data for $55, and then other plans as low as $30 for your wife on a feature phone. They use Verizons towers, and I currently use an older phone on that plan jsut to try it out. So far I like it.

On my vzw bill: we Have 4 phones, 3 that are feature phones, and my smart phone that is unlimited and I pay for mobile hotspot. 700 minutes and unlimited texts. For $170.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

So the key element to a smooth transition is using Google Voice.. again, so I thought this morning that I can activate Google Voice without cancelling my Verizon account, but that is not possible... Instead of porting my number to T-Mo or Straight Talk, keeping it at G-V will allow me to change numbers or carriers if I want on a monthly basis. I live in freaken Los Angeles, so an unlock plan with someone should work it would be here... interested in going back to an LG phone, always had great call quality with LG feature phones...!
    Thanked by:

How can put this delicately? Once someone is used to Verizon's 4G speeds, it's really hard to go back down to AT&T or T-Mobile "4G" speeds.
    In my case, Verizon 4G has always given me 12mbps to 15mbps download and 8mbps to 11mbps uploads.(frequently tested using various speed
    test sites)

It will be like asking me to trade in my Bugatti Veyron for a Toyota Prius Hybrid. Sure, I'll save tons of money on gasoline.
    Thanked by:
    tx_tuff and MERCDROID like this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I do hear you.. 4G is great but a bit too schizophrenic.. all or noting, but yeah for the most part it works and works good.. I will need to test hspa but as long as it is consistent I will adjust usage.. for the most part, I really only listen to podcasts and watch occasional videos on my commutes..

Everting else I can have downloaded.. battery would be a win, calls should be a win and the savings on to of that...

Who knows my GN is in mint conditions that i might even just keep it.. if I want VZ prepaid 4G once in a while..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Shiny

I was thinking the same thing about not wanting to lose Verizon lte but then I realized I don't get very good lte speeds anyway.

My master plan on leaving Verizon-uploadfromtaptalk1351823345873.jpg

Might be going to ATT when I thought I wasn't. I'll have to try some speed tests on hspa with att.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Suggest you try using Google voice before making the jump. I was on Sprint with integrated Google voice. I found it less reliable then the carrier's service. I was trying to decide whether to port to GV or VZW. I went with VZW. One of the great things about text is they go through even when signal is low but GV text requires a data connection.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    GNex (SCH-i515) <-- Epic4G (SPH-D700) <-- Centro <-- SPH-i500 <-- SPH-i300 <-- Palm Pro
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,703 Global Posts

I have Verizon and use Google Voice. I use Google Voice as my work number, and my real number for personal. I love Google Voice and find it very reliable.

Sent from my Droid RAZR HD MAXX

I'll echo windfrenzy: I've had trouble getting GV to behave reliably. Especially with incoming calls going straight to voicemail for no apparent reason whatever. Try it before you buy it.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

just using Groove IP for an whole evening... call quality is fantastic, the UI could use a little improvement, but overall not too bad... call logs appear on my Google Voice history, gonna set up some VM greetings...I don't really know all the differences between voip and VZ's 'digital' voice, but I get a suspension that it's not much better...

Global Posts
    448 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperRez

I tried using groove last night but the area code that was calling out is a 706 and my local is 865 so I don't think its gonna work for me. In sure its something in my settings

Sent from my HTC Rezound

I'm curious, if you switch over to a Google Voice number, when you call someone, is there any way to make it show whatever your current phone number is to the person you are calling? my biggest issue is that I've had the same cell number for 15 plus years. I don't want to start calling people via Google Voice (from a different carrier) and then have them not know it's me, as well as have them keeping 2 phone numbers for me.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

When you port your Verizon number to gvoice it will automatically terminate your contract. There are various reports on how long the actual port takes to go through.

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP (M5) Franco (M4)

That T-Mobile plan looks so sweet.. If only it was like 500 minutes for $40 bucks.. I don't make many phone calls, but I don't think I can do 100 minutes.

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    ROM
    MMuzzy's Jellybean 4.2.1

Quote Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
    When you port your Verizon number to gvoice it will automatically terminate your contract. There are various reports on how long the actual port takes to go through.
    Does this terminate my Verizon contract without any additional fees and such? I'm half way through my two year contract and if I can port my number for $20 with no Verizon etf, I'll be over the moon

Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

I doubt it. Vzw will still charge you the pro rated etf
    Quote Originally Posted by Erckul View Post
    Does this terminate my Verizon contract without any additional fees and such? I'm half way through my two year contract and if I can port my number for $20 with no Verizon etf, I'll be over the moon

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    ROM
    MMuzzy's Jellybean 4.2.1

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    I doubt it. Vzw will still charge you the pro rated etf

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    That's what I figured, but thought it was worth a shot. Thanks

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

OK... finally got some more time, just right, now... playing around with Groove, Google Voice,, calling back and forth with the wife's phone...

YOU CAN TAKE & Make 4G or WiFi calls.. no one corrected me from Thursday night... Groove works with G-V; so when you port your number over to Google Voice you can make & take calls with your old VZ number..!

This has been the missing piece... G-V really takes our phones to another level... listen to Voice Mails without dialing Voice Mail.. transcribes the VM into text...! fantastic... SMS from the web... etc..!

You can also take calls from Gmail, you can choose which phone to ring, Google Talk (gmail dailer), your Groove, over WiFi or 4G or your old VZ number (regular VZ voice)...

I was worried that I can ONLY forward G-V over to regular Calls and have to use minutes... BUT NO..!! You can take calls with your Google Voice over DATA..! U guys understand... & it will be your NUMBER from before...!

Update:
    OK... even cooler, if you exit the Groove IP app, the calls automatically rings your Google Talk (gmail dialer); uncheck the Google Talk, it goes straight to G-V Voice Mail...

I know really confusing... I'm super pumped on dumping VZ for GOOD NOW...!
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Droidintorrance View Post
    OK... finally got some more time, just right, now... playing around with Groove, Google Voice,, calling back and forth with the wife's phone...

YOU CAN TAKE & Make 4G or WiFi calls.. no one corrected me from Thursday night... Groove works with G-V; so when you port your number over to Google Voice you can make & take calls with your old VZ number..!

This has been the missing piece... G-V really takes our phones to another level... listen to Voice Mails without dialing Voice Mail.. transcribes the VM into text...! fantastic... SMS from the web... etc..!

You can also take calls from Gmail, you can choose which phone to ring, Google Talk (gmail dailer), your Groove, over WiFi or 4G or your old VZ number (regular VZ voice)...

I was worried that I can ONLY forward G-V over to regular Calls and have to use minutes... BUT NO..!! You can take calls with your Google Voice over DATA..! U guys understand... & it will be your NUMBER from before...!

Update:
    OK... even cooler, if you exit the Groove IP app, the calls automatically rings your Google Talk (gmail dialer); uncheck the Google Talk, it goes straight to G-V Voice Mail...

I know really confusing... I'm super pumped on dumping VZ for GOOD NOW...!
    I'm considering the same thing and started my own thread to look at any GV downsides (http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...gle-voice.html). From my research, it looks like GrooVeIP usually causes a 1 to 2 second delay in conversation. I find this a real bummer, because I already feel like half the time I'm talking on a cell phone, there is some occasional delay. Come on tech world...cell phones have been out long enough that this crap should not be happening. On the up side, I read about a guy that uses GrooVeIP and some other app to make WiFi calls while in an airplane (Living the Nexus Life). Pretty cool!

Also, it seems that GV can have some issues with texting. Especially MMS. Here's what someone reported in my own thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I'd also add the limits of messaging.

You can't send MMS messages.
    Receiving MMS is kind of wonky.
    I don't think you can do group messaging.
    Your recipients may be charged for receiving your message unless they have an unlimited plan or are also using Google Voice.
    You can't send messages to most shortcodes.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

If use Groove-IP now and then. I have 450 minutes on Verizon and avoid using it because the overage penalty is something ridiculous like 45 cents a minute. Groove-IP seems to be hit or miss. Sometimes the calls go great and other times they the people on the other end complain. This is even after I upgrade the WiFi router at home. If Groove IP proves unreliable, I might have to upgrade from the $30 plan to the $70 unlimited (w/contract). It still beats what I am paying Verizon now.

Question? If we go $30 pre-paid on TMO, how many SIM cards will we need? I am under the impression we will need only one to activate the phone. Then we can refill that card online.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Incoming calls forwarded from G-V & Groove is fast to me... I am on pretty fast WiFi at work... also installed Groove on my Nexus 7 this morning, when a call come in, the order or priority automatically goes to the Galaxy Nexus first, if I exit that app, it goes next to the N7, then if I exit out of that, then it'll go to Gmail.. pretty sweet... when on the edge of data, I can still hear the person clearly, but they can't hear me... so some drawbacks...

Voice mail works... like it should, even bypasses VZ's voicemail, have yet to tried to get TXTing down with Google Voice...
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

I just placed my SIM card order, should be here in 2-4 days... Micro SIM i believe... right? Anyhoo, it's only $1.08 with tax, no shipping. Here is the deal, with the pre-paid phone number & account. Once the plan is activated, you will be assigned a new pre-paid number of course; input that in your Google Voice and you're good to go; choose and fund the account, and the number should be active. Once the month is over, the lady at T-Mobile suggests to keep a small amount on the account, like $1 or $10 in case of overages, if I go over the 100 minutes. We can hop around to AT&T, get another sim, another service and another number, and try that. But because, our T-Mo account is still funded, it is still active, number still there, account still active. Calling into the number will not work of course. But you have 90 days of inactivity for the number to go back into a general pool, up for grabs again. Not sure how other carriers policies are, but that is T-Mos...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast