Switched from S3 to Nexus

kcalmol

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so how ill am I? I picked up an S3 in July, and just bought one of these. The S3 is a great phone, and I enjoyed using it. Still, I invariably get bored after a few months, and thanks to the heads-up from AC, I took advantage of the CPO off-contract deal from Verizon. I have to say, despite all the criticism of this phone, I'm liking it a lot. I found the S's size just a bit awkward, especially with one hand. The Nexus seems the perfect balance of viewing space and maneuverability. I also find the ui more fluid, and the vanilla Android necessarily less cartoonish. Call quality is a bit less solid, but totally serviceable. And, of course, I'm enjoying JB and the prospect of quicker updates, if still slowed by VZW. So inasmuch as I am holding onto the S3, is it time to expand into the Root/ROM world and make this a hobby phone? Not sure I'll go that route, but here's one satisfied owner.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

bakerbert

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
if you find yourself board with a phone fast (i know i do)
Rooting and Roming is the way to go, with the nexus it is very simple and you can do so much more with your phone when it is rooted.
I currently just put the new camera app and keyboard form 4.2 jellybean and there not even out yet :). Plus all the themeing and additional mods you can setup/play with are almost endless;
softkeys, tablet mode, super fast latest OS roms (i was on Jellybean, 24 hours after it was announced), it takes Verizon out of the update picture....and a ton more.

Welcome to the Gnex

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Nexus vs S3? They both be unlocked and run whatever...so pick your hardware and fly!

Not exactly true. AOSP device make a big difference. Despite the hardware advantage, a coworkers JB GS3 is far less fluid than my 4.1.2 JB gnex. He's also complained of bugs on the builds he's tried. I've had zero on dozens of roms (of course I've never flashed any know to have replicable issues lol). So I've seen it first hand, albeit admittedly on one device. If you're into customizing you can't beat a Nexus. I really like my gfs GS3, and of course pushed for her to get it, but I wouldn't trade my LTE gnex for it. To each their own.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Not exactly true. AOSP device make a big difference. Despite the hardware advantage, a coworkers JB GS3 is far less fluid than my 4.1.2 JB gnex. He's also complained of bugs on the builds he's tried. I've had zero on dozens of roms (of course I've never flashed any know to have replicable issues lol). So I've seen it first hand, albeit admittedly on one device. If you're into customizing you can't beat a Nexus. I really like my gfs GS3, and of course pushed for her to get it, but I wouldn't trade my LTE gnex for it. To each their own.
I would ask your co worker what his steps are for flashing roms, because I have never had that "Studebaker" OS experience on mine. The battery, screen, and camera, along with the storage and GPU? Seriously? Okay, to each their own. Nexus 4 seems to be getting there hardware wise, but GSM sucks.