Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ziflin
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Maps and Battery Drain-Post Jellybean

I've noticed that after Jellybean, Maps is reported as using an awful lot of battery. I am using Gsam battery pro and better battery stats. Under GSAM, it reports Maps usage around 15-25% on any given time, which is much higher than any other app. When I check better battery stats /partial wakelocks, the following shows up as the most used (all by maps)
    1-Network location locator
    2-signal collector-scanner
    3-signal collector-scanner thread

I have done the obvious and turned off Google Now. It hasnt helped. Maps is still draining my battery like crazy. Does anyone know if one of my settings are off, or what setting I can change to fix this? Or is this basically the way it is now? This morning when I got to work it was using 30% of the battery. And like I said Google Now is off. My GPS is almost always off. Has anyone else expericed this with Maps? Anyone with any help is greatly appreciated.

Dan

Default Re: Maps and Battery Drain-Post Jellybean

Go to settings, Scroll down to the "Personal' Section and select "Location Services". On the location services menu, disable "Google Location Services'

also under Maps settings select don't detect my location..

I hope this will help

I'm wondering if disabling the "Google Location Services" helped. I'm having the same problem.

I'm running Jelly Bean 4.1.1 and have had the phone for about a week, so it's not likely to be caused by some kind of software error since I don't think I've had enough time to mess it up (yet).

Are you by chance using the "Google Now" (blue 'Google') app? Maps was showing 45% usage for me the last few days and I've been trying to track down what app was causing it. The various Google Now cards use your location quite a bit. I disabled Google Now and Maps has not showed up in the battery usage at all over the last few hours. Previously it would reappear and start taking more and more battery within minutes of a Force Close / Reboot.

So until Google can figure out a way to not constantly poll my location and fix the Bluetooth issues with Google Now voice search, it's staying disabled.

Note that I believe disabling Google Location Services is not required (I have it enabled). The problem seemed to be Google Now's use of it.
    Thanked by:
    blashandroid likes this.

Appreciate the insight. I've tried disabling just about everything I could think of that would poll GM so often, except GN. We'll see how it goes. Thanks.

I've had this problem for a while too. What has helped me is just disabling "report from this device"... it still keeps the google now functionality, but the battery drain is no longer a problem. Once I disable reporting and I check GSAM battery monitor, there are no more wake-locks and Maps only uses about 0.1% of battery as opposed to 25%. Unfortunately, I like to see where I've been and this doesn't allow location history. Hopefully it'll be fixed with an update... one day. maybe 5.0.

Maybe greenify can help? Greenify let's you hibernate apps so that they can't activate on their own or stay running once you leave the app but you'll need root.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Sent From My Galaxy Nexus