Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree15Likes
  • 7 Post By Vance14
  • 1 Post By 2defmouze
  • 1 Post By Vance14
  • 1 Post By turdbogls
  • 1 Post By Pollster
  • 1 Post By Vance14
  • 2 Post By dcastillo
  • 1 Post By seanubis
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

Default The single thing I love most about the Nexus

Among the various wonderful qualities of the Nexus (and a few frustrations), the best thing is very simple:

I am a year into my relationship with this phone and am feeling no urge to replace it, to upgrade, to get the SIII or move to T-Mobile for the 4, etc.

It is a wonderfully peaceful feeling.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: The single thing I love most about the Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    Among the various wonderful qualities of the Nexus (and a few frustrations), the best thing is very simple:

I am a year into my relationship with this phone and am feeling no urge to replace it, to upgrade, to get the SIII or move to T-Mobile for the 4, etc.

Nice.. It is a great phone. I had no intention of moving to the N4 once I found out VZW wasn't getting it, but I've changed my mind since I realized how much money I'll save by switching. But I definitely love this phone and would be happy with it for a good while longer if not for VZWs ridiculous prices, lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    ConTejas likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

Now I agree with that entirely. If my office was not on Verizon (and paying for it), I would likely switch carriers as well. We don't have 4G here yet anyway!
    2defmouze likes this.

Global Posts
    941 Global Posts

Forgive me for barging in . . I'm looking for some personal testimony regarding the vzw galaxy nexus . . They are now only $30 but it sounds like you would still recommend it? I've heard a few downsides in doing some reading about it, can you (and anyone else) tell me what your experience has been? I've been considering a razr maxx but these seem like a good deal. Thanks.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

My daughter has the Maxx. They are both very good phones and you can't go wrong with either. But it really depends on what you value the most. If you want long battery life and a better camera, then you will want to go the Maxx. If you want to have the stock Android experience and the software updates the bit sooner, then the better phone would be the Nexus. My suggestion would be to mess around with both of them at the Verizon store for a while. Ultimately, the cost of the 2 year plan is so much that the initial cost of the phone shouldn't be the driving factor. If you do get the Nexus, I would definitely buy the extended battery along with it.

The bottom line is that both my daughter and I are very happy with our phones!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP (M5) Franco (M4)

I can't wait to upgrade.. The battery life is soooo bad. The screen looks pretty ugly next to an SIII, IPhone, or most new smartphones.. Whites just look grey..

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts

The GN is my first Android phone and I got it as soon as it came out. I love everything about it except the battery life but I have an extended battery and a spare which I always carry with me. I have no desire to have any other phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts
    ROM
    changes all the time

i was tempted by the S3 when it first came out....but after playing with a few of them, i am happy i didn't swap phones. and now that 4.2 is here, i am really excited. we will have a fully stable 4.2 build out tomorrow...who knows how long it will take the S3 to get there.

as for the nexus 4....i want it...and it has really opened my eyes to the pre-paid plans. i still have a year on my contract, so by the time it is up, the next nexus will be right around the corner and i will have my money ready for it.
    You know your rooted when bootloops don't scare you anymore.
    ConTejas likes this.

I feel lucky to have my VZW contract coming up next winter. The GN will easily carry me until then, and I'm hoping the best course of action will be far more obvious at that time. Not to mention an even newer Nexus phone.
    ConTejas likes this.

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post

I had that feeling up until a month ago. I was never big on using my phone as a camera up until then. Now that I use my phone more often to take pictures the camera just gets on my nerves. I'll spare you the rant and say were it not for the camera, I would still be feeling the same way.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

Yes, the camera is definitely the primary frustration.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    Bears 
    Bears likes this.

Outside shots are great

sent from a Nexus, nothing less will do...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The single thing I love most about the Nexus-uploadfromtaptalk1352747716926.jpg  
    Vance14 and AZDROIDX like this.

Quote Originally Posted by turdbogls View Post
    we will have a fully stable 4.2 build out tomorrow...
    Details? Who, what when where?

First of all I can't stop flashing ROMS. There's always some new little thing that makes me flash. 4.2 gapps are pretty awesome. I wouldn't get any of this with any other phone.

Second I still have VZW unlimited data. I'm not in a hurry to pay retail for my next phone.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

Right, the ability to tinker with my phone is one of the things that keeps it fresh and interesting, right now I am looking for Peter Alfonso to put out a new Bugless Beast build with 4.2 additions. While I am sure that phones like the new DNA announced today will eventually be cracked, I don't know that it will have the same ROM support.

Quote Originally Posted by CallerHoller View Post
    First of all I can't stop flashing ROMS. There's always some new little thing that makes me flash. 4.2 gapps are pretty awesome. I wouldn't get any of this with any other phone.

Second I still have VZW unlimited data. I'm not in a hurry to pay retail for my next phone.
    Unlimited data too and the 4G is incredible! I love how we get components of unreleased OS before. For example I'm using Google's swipe keyboard which is a treat!

Anxiously awaiting bugles beast 4.2

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Nice.. It is a great phone. I had no intention of moving to the N4 once I found out VZW wasn't getting it, but I've changed my mind since I realized how much money I'll save by switching. But I definitely love this phone and would be happy with it for a good while longer if not for VZWs ridiculous prices, lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    I'm completely happy with my gnex and, like the OP said, am amazed at that fact since I've had it since launch day. The N4 was a 50/50 for me. One half it would've been the push I need to leave VZW and go prepaid. The other half said, well, I still have the only LTE nexus and it's still dopus maximus. The "other half" wins out since I'm on a very cheap old unlimited data family plan with a 22% corporate discount. So I get VZW coverage for cheaper than unlimited data prepaid. The second that changes, it's nice to know that Google has something unlocked, cheap, and with beastly specs for me to roll prepaid with. Lastly, once again I'm pumped for the devs to release aosp 4.2 based roms to tinker with. Basically seems like a new device every few days, weeks, or at least months for the OTA crowd. Doesn't get any better, imo, especially not on VZW.

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

Quote Originally Posted by gregs1213 View Post
    I can't wait to upgrade.. The battery life is soooo bad. The screen looks pretty ugly next to an SIII, IPhone, or most new smartphones.. Whites just look grey..
    What? I use a GS3 daily and frequently see/use iphone 4/4s/5 screens (of course). Never have I, nor anyone else, looked at my screen and thought it looked anything less than gorgeous. Certainly not enough to comment on (and I tend to joke w/ my iphone friends/coworkers a lot...so I'd have heard it). We don't tote a magifying glass, though. I can't tell much of a diffence between my 1080p screen downstairs and the 720p screen upstairs, so maybe it's just me

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Before Verizon lit up 4G in my area, and before I flashed CM10, I had several complaints about my GN:

• Battery life
    • Random reboots (especially during GPS navigation)
    • Camera bugs
    • Mic cutouts during calls

These days, my only gripe is the battery life, but I'm rarely far from a charger, so I won't complain too much
    icu likes this.