Changing notification icons

kcalmol

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Is there an app that will allow me to change the notification icons for texts, email, while still using the stock apps? If not, can I do this if I root? TIA for any suggestions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Jaredshoes

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I know for a fact if you use the messaging app go sms you have the ability to change around your text message notification icon

kcalmol

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I know that will work, but I want to use the stock app, and just change its notification icon. I was doing this via SMS Popup, but then I lose the jb notification functionality.

Jaredshoes

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Hmm...I'm not sure then, I know you could probably do it with some roms...maybe if you use apex/nova/adw and try different themes?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I know that will work, but I want to use the stock app, and just change its notification icon. I was doing this via SMS Popup, but then I lose the jb notification functionality.

The image itself is typically compiled with the application's APK. You may be able to extract the APK, locate the image file in question, and replace it, but you'll probably have varying degrees of success. The closest that any third-party application could get would be creating a duplicate notification for each stock application notification, with different icons. You would lose notification actions functionality, and I'm not sure how much of this would be possible. It would happen through the Accessibility API, which I have not used myself. Light Flow uses the Accessibility API to manipulate notifications, and thus, the LED light.

kcalmol

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the detailed response. Not as straightforward as I hoped. Nothing's easy. But that is part of the fun.