Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kcalmol
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Changing notification icons

Is there an app that will allow me to change the notification icons for texts, email, while still using the stock apps? If not, can I do this if I root? TIA for any suggestions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: Changing notification icons

I know for a fact if you use the messaging app go sms you have the ability to change around your text message notification icon
    nothing nothing nothing
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the reply. I know that will work, but I want to use the stock app, and just change its notification icon. I was doing this via SMS Popup, but then I lose the jb notification functionality.

ROM
    AOKP

Hmm...I'm not sure then, I know you could probably do it with some roms...maybe if you use apex/nova/adw and try different themes?
    nothing nothing nothing

Quote Originally Posted by kcalmol View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I know that will work, but I want to use the stock app, and just change its notification icon. I was doing this via SMS Popup, but then I lose the jb notification functionality.
    The image itself is typically compiled with the application's APK. You may be able to extract the APK, locate the image file in question, and replace it, but you'll probably have varying degrees of success. The closest that any third-party application could get would be creating a duplicate notification for each stock application notification, with different icons. You would lose notification actions functionality, and I'm not sure how much of this would be possible. It would happen through the Accessibility API, which I have not used myself. Light Flow uses the Accessibility API to manipulate notifications, and thus, the LED light.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thank you for the detailed response. Not as straightforward as I hoped. Nothing's easy. But that is part of the fun.