Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By davey11
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default why does my S3 screen look better than my GN screen? aren't they supposed to be the same SuperAMOLED

    why does my S3 screen look better than my GN screen? aren't they supposed to be the same SuperAMOLED? (minus the slight difference in size)
  2. #2  

    Default Re: why does my S3 screen look better than my GN screen? aren't they supposed to be the same SuperAM

    Do you have the Retina display option on?
  3. #3  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default k better than my GN screen? aren't they supposed to be the same SuperAMOLED

    Quote Originally Posted by David Horgan View Post
    Do you have the Retina display option on?
    Considering that is an Apple thing, I would hope not. Way to troll your first post. You get a 2/10

    What are you seeing as different? They do have very similar screens so they should be close to identical.

    Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: k better than my GN screen? aren't they supposed to be the same SuperAMOLED

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Considering that is an Apple thing, I would hope not. Way to troll your first post. You get a 2/10

    What are you seeing as different? They do have very similar screens so they should be close to identical.

    Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    Don't get me wrong, both my VZW S3 and VZW GN have great screens. The only time I notice a difference is when I have them side-by-side with each other displaying the same image and/or videos. (with both set to the same brigthness, of course) It just seem like the S3 always displays a more vibrant/colorful/detailed photo. (again, comparing the identical photo) Or perhaps my VZW GN's screen is aging faster? The GN was purchased last December and the S3 was purchased last month.
  5. #5  
    Irvgotti's Avatar

    Posts
    1,082 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Sense 4.1.1

    Default Re: k better than my GN screen? aren't they supposed to be the same SuperAMOLED

    Quote Originally Posted by af250xxl View Post
    Don't get me wrong, both my VZW S3 and VZW GN have great screens. The only time I notice a difference is when I have them side-by-side with each other displaying the same image and/or videos. (with both set to the same brigthness, of course) It just seem like the S3 always displays a more vibrant/colorful/detailed photo. (again, comparing the identical photo) Or perhaps my VZW GN's screen is aging faster? The GN was purchased last December and the S3 was purchased last month.
    The gnex doesn't do colors well. Why the whites look a little yellow. Also the s3 might have a better PPI. To make images a little sharper and vibrant. My gnex screen is great. With the addition of the color preset hack. (Cm10) but either way the s3 is a newer phone. Just shows you technology doesn't slow down for anyone
    Privacy is overrated :P
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: k better than my GN screen? aren't they supposed to be the same SuperAMOLED

    Quote Originally Posted by Irvgotti View Post
    The gnex doesn't do colors well. Why the whites look a little yellow. Also the s3 might have a better PPI. To make images a little sharper and vibrant. My gnex screen is great. With the addition of the color preset hack. (Cm10) but either way the s3 is a newer phone. Just shows you technology doesn't slow down for anyone
    I'm almost afraid to compare my VZW S3 and VZW GN to the VZW Note 2 that I pre-ordered.(when it finally shows up at my doorstep)
    Word on the street is that the Note 2 will have a nice screen.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: k better than my GN screen? aren't they supposed to be the same SuperAMOLED

    I have two GNEX. Side by side with all the settings the same one is more vibrant that the other. That is the one I carry. Phil says the 4 display is much better. I will avoid seeing that display for a while because I think the GNEX is great and I have another year before I can upgrade!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: k better than my GN screen? aren't they supposed to be the same SuperAMOLED

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyTop View Post
    I have two GNEX. Side by side with all the settings the same one is more vibrant that the other. That is the one I carry. Phil says the 4 display is much better. I will avoid seeing that display for a while because I think the GNEX is great and I have another year before I can upgrade!
    There are 4 Galaxy Nexus smartphones in my immediate family. (3 Verizon and 1 int'l GSM) Among the 3 VZW GN phones, I notice the Chinese-made is slightly bluish/dimmer
    than the other two Korean-made ones. The int'l GSM one is a bit yellowish when showing a white background.
  9. #9  
    turdbogls's Avatar

    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    ROM
    changes all the time

    Default Re: k better than my GN screen? aren't they supposed to be the same SuperAMOLED

    PPI on the 2 phones are very close with the Gnex being slightly higher due to the slightly smaller screen.

    but, i think Sammy did some color calibration to the S3 because yes, side by side, the S3 has a superior screen in displaying whites. but as long as i dont have them side by side, the Gnex screen is still amazing.

    i can't wait to see the N4's screen though. i have already seen the OneX screen and was blown away, but doesn't give me envy at all.
    You know your rooted when bootloops don't scare you anymore.
  10. #10  
    Saiga's Avatar

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

    Default Re: why does my S3 screen look better than my GN screen?

    One strange problem I noticed with the Galaxy Nexus is every screen looked different. Its like there is no standard set with them. I remember having 4 Galaxy nexi sitting in front of me and my friends. All 4 displaying the same picture and all 4 set to the maximum brightness level. And wouldn't you know, they each looked different. Some make whites look yellowish others make whites look blueish. They all 4 had varying degrees of screen burn in.

    I don't know what Samsung did to the displays on the Gnex, but pretty much every single Amoled display they've every made was more consistently awesome than that of the Gnex.

    And lastly, I agree with Phil and the other reviewers. The new Nexus 4 screen is better looking than my Galaxy Nexus screen.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  11. #11  
    Nakrohtap's Avatar

    Posts
    647 Posts
    ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

    Default Re: why does my S3 screen look better than my GN screen?

    You could use this same logic with televisions. There are display settings to change brightness, color saturation, hue, gamma, RGB values, etc. The good thing is...If you don't like the way your screen looks, you can change it.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  12. #12  
    gregs1213's Avatar

    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP (M5) Franco (M4)

    Default Re: why does my S3 screen look better than my GN screen?

    S3 screen is better.. probably better calibrated.. I don't really notice it when just looking at my phone, but when comparing my phone to a SIII, it looks dull and when next to an iphone it just looks crappy, I hate to admit. Cartoons and graphics usually look pretty good, but when looking at photos, I think IPS displays are much better.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: why does my S3 screen look better than my GN screen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nakrohtap View Post
    You could use this same logic with televisions. There are display settings to change brightness, color saturation, hue, gamma, RGB values, etc. The good thing is...If you don't like the way your screen looks, you can change it.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    normally... that's true... however, Samsung televisions frequently use different sources for the LCD panels. A lot of them don't even have LCD panels made by Samsung itself.
    '

    in some cases, many LCD TV fans prefer Samsung TVs with LCD panels made by other manufacturers, due to smoother motion of the LCD.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: why does my S3 screen look better than my GN screen?

    If you are so inclined, root the thing and flash a custom kernel. Then get an app like trickster and tweak your screen all you like. Like rgb intensity, gamma etc etc.
    If you take your time you can get the screen how you like it. Most of the kernel installer apps like franco also do this. I got my screen pretty nice. Took some trial and error though.
    ConTejas and crwolv like this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: why does my S3 screen look better than my GN screen? aren't they supposed to be the same SuperAM

    Wow that was rude as heck.jeez. anyway. To maybe answer your question with a question/answer lol. are you rooted? I ask that because if you are it makes all the difference you can download a different kernel like for instance Franco's and tweak the screen to high heaven both of mine are rooted and when I tweak both screens I can actually get my Galaxy Nexus to look better than my sgs3. I'm going to give you my kernel settings but be careful and make sure you have it under 2 minutes screen on because you can burn your screen.
    Color multipliers (usually under200 default)
    320
    320
    400(I don't make them all 400 because if you do the white becomes creamy looking)
    Rgb
    R-4
    G-0
    B-+5
    Trinity contrast +16
    Gamma +1
    anyway with the settings the screen is beautiful and bright enough to see in the daylight which is a complaint people use and it's true with amoled screens. Good luck
    Good luck
  16. #16  

    Default Re: why does my S3 screen look better than my GN screen?

    Motion??? Were talking phones.and if you mean tvs plasma killz lcd's. Lol KILLZ BIG TIME 60 TO 120 HZ compared to default 600 hz for plasma. My 720 p 50 inch plasma looks much clearer on a hockey game than my 1080p lcd led .nuff said

Similar Threads

  1. my home screen is better than your honor student
    By jrsharp70 in forum LG Viper 4G LTE
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-04-2012, 11:59 AM
  2. Question: Why does my ipad2 get emails quicker than my NS4G?
    By dopedroid in forum Sprint Nexus S 4G
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-30-2012, 11:12 AM
  3. Car Dock & Navigation much better than my Droid's
    By vlstyles in forum AT&T ATRIX
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 02:03 AM
  4. way better than my hero
    By spookytay in forum Sprint Epic 4G
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2010, 07:44 AM
  5. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-19-2010, 10:43 PM

Posting Permissions

B