4.2 Factory Image for Toro (VZW GNex)?

andoird213

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any sort of predictions/estimates as to if/when the 4.2 factory image for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus may be posted up? I know it's AOSP, I've compiled it and it just doesn't work quite right. I'm no developer, so I can't even begin to figure out how to fix any the problems "pure AOSP" has. Now I know there are those who've gone about making 4.2 ROMs that are considered "pure" but with the necessary fixes, however the problem is that they've added other mods that take away from that "pure" aspect. The solution I can see, is an .img of just a working pure 4.2 Verizon Galaxy Nexus. I was under the impression that factory images are only released when an OTA is pushed, but there's a 4.1.2 image up, which (correct me if I'm wrong, I've only run stock for a week when this baby was still 4.0.1) hasn't been released via OTA. So anyone wanna take a stab at when they think they might release the .img? Or if at all? Will we in fact (as I originally thought) have to wait for Verizon to approve an OTA first?

Thanks!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any sort of predictions/estimates as to if/when the 4.2 factory image for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus may be posted up? I know it's AOSP, I've compiled it and it just doesn't work quite right. I'm no developer, so I can't even begin to figure out how to fix any the problems "pure AOSP" has. Now I know there are those who've gone about making 4.2 ROMs that are considered "pure" but with the necessary fixes, however the problem is that they've added other mods that take away from that "pure" aspect. The solution I can see, is an .img of just a working pure 4.2 Verizon Galaxy Nexus. I was under the impression that factory images are only released when an OTA is pushed, but there's a 4.1.2 image up, which (correct me if I'm wrong, I've only run stock for a week when this baby was still 4.0.1) hasn't been released via OTA. So anyone wanna take a stab at when they think they might release the .img? Or if at all? Will we in fact (as I originally thought) have to wait for Verizon to approve an OTA first?

Thanks!

You are correct that the image will not be posted up until the OTA is approved by Verizon and pushed out.. there actually is no 4.1.2 factory image for the VZW Gnex for that very reason, see here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#mysid

Also the factory images are not pure AOSP, they are what you would receive via an OTA, so the ones for the VZW Nexus do contain the 2 VZW apps, and will have Chrome versus the AOSP browser, among other things (even Google apps being included means they aren't pure AOSP.. Google apps are not part of the Android Open Source Project, as you know) :)

andoird213

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You are correct that the image will not be posted up until the OTA is approved by Verizon and pushed out.. there actually is no 4.1.2 factory image for the VZW Gnex for that very reason, see here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#mysid

Also the factory images are not pure AOSP, they are what you would receive via an OTA, so the ones for the VZW Nexus do contain the 2 VZW apps, and will have Chrome versus the AOSP browser, among other things (even Google apps being included means they aren't pure AOSP.. Google apps are not part of the Android Open Source Project, as you know) :)

So I'm not crazy! ... but I am blind! Haha I knew something was up. Looking back at the site now I see 4.1.1 is the latest, as I thought it would be to start with. Should go with my gut rather than my eyes! And yes I know an image isn't pure AOSP, but it's -similar- to a -working- AOSP. Not that those images have anything to do with the actual project itself, that I an aware of, but I was referring to the simple... "stock-ness" of it (even though in actuality, it's vice-versa)

P.S. We all know the first thing we do on an AOSP build is disable Browser and download Chrome anyway :p

Thanks for being my eyes!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
So I'm not crazy! ... but I am blind! Haha I knew something was up. Looking back at the site now I see 4.1.1 is the latest, as I thought it would be to start with. Should go with my gut rather than my eyes! And yes I know an image isn't pure AOSP, but it's -similar- to a -working- AOSP. Not that those images have anything to do with the actual project itself, that I an aware of, but I was referring to the simple... "stock-ness" of it (even though in actuality, it's vice-versa)

P.S. We all know the first thing we do on an AOSP build is disable Browser and download Chrome anyway :p

Thanks for being my eyes!

Not here, not one bit. I despise Chrome. The AOSP browser is leaps ahead, IMO. Chrome is laggy and slow, and plus the AOSP browser will still work with sideloaded Flash.

Just got my Nexus 4 this evening.. one of the first things I did after rooting was get rid of Chrome and push the AOSP browser to /system/app and sync it up with my bookmarks... so much better :)

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I use to think chrome was laggy and slow and useless as well. recently it has come into its own and is really good Imo. I actually use it as my default over the stock browser now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz