1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Strangely good battery life (JB 4.1.1)?

I just got this phone maybe a week ago and I was dreading the reputation for poor battery life. I turned off NFC (which I never use anyway) and keep GPS toggled off most of the time (even though I don't think it turns on unless an app needs to use it). I adjust brightness depending on light conditions. I'm on LTE but I'm on WiFi a lot (except in the car). No live wallpaper. With moderate use (Google Now, checking traffic on my way home, listening to some Pandora, moderate texting, checking email and stuff) I'm going on 15 hours with 31% left which is more than enough for me.

Maybe my expectations just aren't that high coming from a Thunderbolt?

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    ROM
    changes all the time

Default Re: Strangely good battery life (JB 4.1.1)?

that is pretty good. i doubt i could pull that off. 30 minutes of pandora on my ride home is about 8% of my battery alone.

thankfully battery is no concern to me right now as i sit next to a charger for 8+ hours a day.
    You know your rooted when bootloops don't scare you anymore.

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

I've never complained about the battery, had it since launch, and I regularly get the use you do. There's so many variables to take into account though. Radios (more so if you have a good signal) and screeen on are the killers. I run lots of custom/rom kernel combos and I've definitely noticed crazy good and pretty horrible life among differnet kernels with all other settlings the same. So thats where you should focus if battery is a priority for you. I've seen a few people post shots of 20+ hrs with 3+hrs of screen-on time. I only really tried to see how long I got one time, on one rom/kernel combo, and it was about 16hrs with 2+hrs of screen-on time. Like turdbogls, I rarely find myself too far from a charger of some sort (and I travel often). I have an extended battery I bought and used for camping etc trips and two oem batteries I bought only because I'm a sucker for a deal (2 oem and charger for $12 shipped). I never use them. Just use the battery it came with and charge it overnight.

I just got a replacement through asurion (screen cracked in original), I flashed CM10 and I've been getting 8-10 hours with moderate to heavy use. My original was lucky to hit 7.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Vicious JB 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    I've never complained about the battery, had it since launch, and I regularly get the use you do. There's so many variables to take into account though. Radios (more so if you have a good signal) and screeen on are the killers. I run lots of custom/rom kernel combos and I've definitely noticed crazy good and pretty horrible life among differnet kernels with all other settlings the same. So thats where you should focus if battery is a priority for you. I've seen a few people post shots of 20+ hrs with 3+hrs of screen-on time. I only really tried to see how long I got one time, on one rom/kernel combo, and it was about 16hrs with 2+hrs of screen-on time. Like turdbogls, I rarely find myself too far from a charger of some sort (and I travel often). I have an extended battery I bought and used for camping etc trips and two oem batteries I bought only because I'm a sucker for a deal (2 oem and charger for $12 shipped). I never use them. Just use the battery it came with and charge it overnight.
    Where on Earth did you find 2 OEM batteries with a charger for $12 including shipping?!

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

How am I getting only five hours of battery?? Screen on 67% and running cyanogenmod 10. I never use gps or that Google Card thing that I've read can run the battery down.

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP (M5) Franco (M4)

My screen is hardly as high as 67%.. I would say normally 20% or so, I use automatic brightness.. At night I manually turn down to 1% when in bed with the lights off.. I still manage to lose about a percent every 80 seconds..

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gregs1213 View Post
    My screen is hardly as high as 67%.. I would say normally 20% or so, I use automatic brightness.. At night I manually turn down to 1% when in bed with the lights off.. I still manage to lose about a percent every 80 seconds..
    Sorry, I meant my screen time is 67%. The brightness is rarely above 25%.