Random shutdowns

anon(20593)

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way to check a log for what was going on when the phone switches off randomly? I have had this happen to me quite a few times in the past 3-4 weeks, primarily after I installed 4.1. I can't see to understand what is causing it. Its happening when I am using a bunch of different apps - nothing specific. Sometimes when I'm listening to Google Music, other times using Google Now, etc.

Would be great to be able to check a log, but I don't know how to set one up or retrieve an existing one.

Help?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to check a log for what was going on when the phone switches off randomly? I have had this happen to me quite a few times in the past 3-4 weeks, primarily after I installed 4.1. I can't see to understand what is causing it. Its happening when I am using a bunch of different apps - nothing specific. Sometimes when I'm listening to Google Music, other times using Google Now, etc.

Would be great to be able to check a log, but I don't know how to set one up or retrieve an existing one.

Help?

When something messes up it should have something about sending a report to Google. That'll have a log for you. Also try logcat apps.

M J

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I've been having random restarts a lot lately also. Sounds similar to you, there is no pattern or 1 app I am using that I know of, causing it. I came here today to see if anyone else was having this issue, and I was wondering if there was a log to look at or something that could tell me if a specific app was causing it. I love this phone but I am at the point now where I hate it. This morning alone I had 4 restarts. I got the phone on launch day, and maybe had 1 restart every couple months or so. Then after the first update to I think 4.0.4, it started happening a little more, but not more than maybe 1 time a month. Now since updating to 4.1.1 it happens everyday at least once, but more often a couple times a day. Today was it, I am going back to where I got the phone and see if they can replace it or I can get a different phone. I did buy some insurance plan, so I hope it will help me. I will check out the logcat apps first.

Just to add... when an app crashes, I get the message about sending a report, but it will say what app caused the problem. This is different, the phone just goes black, and the power/wake-up button does nothing. Initially I was pulling the battery when that happened cause I thought the phone was not responding, but I later realized its restarting and after a few seconds I get the nexus X on the screen as its starting up. Or if I am not using the phone and it's sitting on my desk at work or something, I will see the nexus X appear and watch the phone start up.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a second hand GNex that is doing the same thing. I am glad to hear that I am not alone. I have noticed that the problem seems to have started after the JB update and there is no rhyme or reason to the shutdowns/reboots other than they seem to happen when I am trying to do something. I have no idea what the problem is so I am hoping someone will come along with a solution.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

bwillyM5

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the exact same unexpected shutdown issues since the jelly bean update. I'm hoping that the next update will fix it.
I've noticed that sometimes it happens to me when I click the power button too many times, like when I apply power to the phone but am too impatient to wait for it to start by itself.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rcw119

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
No solution, just wanted to add a "ditto" to everyone's random reboots. Similarly can't figure out what is causing it. Same timeframe as everyone else and I have seen it within Google Music and pressing the power button to get the screen to light up.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I ha e been getting random restarts a lot since the Jellybean update.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad