do you all like your phone?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I think that the camera on the GNEX gets a bad rap. I am no photographer, but I am more than happy with the camera on mine. Maybe I have lower standards, but I love the camera. I have no issues with the build quality either.

I agree with you. I am a photographer, and I find the camera to be more than acceptable, except in low-light conditions.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I like it but I've had it for 12 months now & like it less & less each time I walk into a Tmo store looking at the N4 I hope to get soon *sigh*

scaramouch1

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I wonder when they'll put an optical zoom on phones + a bit more powerful flash + audio dub so u can put new audio word or words or sounds on your already recorded ones via the phones mic or external source insert erase edit mix and the same on video recordings

s3 quad 1.4 JB :cool:

dobri002

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Love this phone. Am I sad that its on verizons network so we don't get treated like a normal nexus? Yes. But its glorious with 4G

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I guess this response is too late for the orig poster, but in case someone else may find this helpful:

The only thing I don't like about the VZW GNex is the radio. I had come from the HTC Thunderbolt also and you can expect the GNex's radio performance to be noticeably not as good. I get about 15dB less signal strength (according to the About Phone -> Status) compared to the Thunderbolt. It's still usable, but sometimes I don't get a data signal or it's loss and I have to reacquire it (turn LTE off and on). According to VZW tech support, they are aware of this issue and are looking into a solution. But given the phone's age and that this is likely a hardware issue, I would be shocked if a software fix is ever released. However, as you can see from the earlier replies, this doesn't seem to affect all VZW GNexii, so you may not experience any issues.

I don't know enough about the S3 to compare them in that regard though. The S3, being also a Samsung, may have similar reception performance, or may be better (or worse?), I don't know.

Last edited:

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon GNex was kind of notorious for bad radios.. I really don't like the camera in the phone either.. It's fine for daylight photos in perfect lighting.. but many of the times, I want to take indoor photos and they don't come out NEARLY as nice as my friends with a GS3 or my girlfriends iphone (blows it out of the water).

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I have stock 4.1.1 installed.

The good:

Very stable OS.
The phone is pretty speedy and doesn't lag very often.
The screen looks great (especially if at full brightness, where it belongs...).
When on WiFi, I can get over 3 hours of screen time on a single charge (I *think* that is good).

The bad:
The radios suck.
When you are not on WiFi, the battery life sucks also as a result.
Did I mention the radios suck? I am in the heart of 4G territory but am lucky to get a 4G signal at home. At my office (in a major metropolitan area) I set 10 feet from the windows and am lucky to get a 3G signal.
Did I mention how bad the battery life sucks when not on WiFi? It really, really sucks when I am at my office. When this phone cannot get a super strong, super solid data signal, it burns through battery power faster than Obama burns through the federal deficit.

It depends:
The camera for me is actually pretty good and I get compliments on my photos all the time (including indoor photos). It far surpasses the iPhone 4 camera but I don't know about newer iPhone models or One X, S3, etc.

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I have stock 4.1.1 installed.

The good:

Very stable OS.
The phone is pretty speedy and doesn't lag very often.
The screen looks great (especially if at full brightness, where it belongs...).
When on WiFi, I can get over 3 hours of screen time on a single charge (I *think* that is good).

The bad:
The radios suck.
When you are not on WiFi, the battery life sucks also as a result.
Did I mention the radios suck? I am in the heart of 4G territory but am lucky to get a 4G signal at home. At my office (in a major metropolitan area) I set 10 feet from the windows and am lucky to get a 3G signal.
Did I mention how bad the battery life sucks when not on WiFi? It really, really sucks when I am at my office. When this phone cannot get a super strong, super solid data signal, it burns through battery power faster than Obama burns through the federal deficit.

It depends:
The camera for me is actually pretty good and I get compliments on my photos all the time (including indoor photos). It far surpasses the iPhone 4 camera but I don't know about newer iPhone models or One X, S3, etc.

Yesterday at 13 hrs, my battery was at 50% on my thunderbolt. Right now I'm at 8 hrs and at 44% because I had to go to the airport today and was using 4g. Sounds like I made a good decision waiting. Based on battery life.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I guess every phone has its up and down sides. As I said my tbolt still hasn't received an ICS OTA

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I have both the S3 and the nexus. I definitely think the nexus was/is a great device and is even better if you want to root/rom. I would not for any price lock in a contract with it today though. I would get it again on release a year ago but not now. IMO the S3 has better battery life, a better and larger screen, a better quality camera that is even better with jellybean in low light, much better radios and stability of signal, I like the additions Samsung made like smart stay and auto haptics in games, it also has a faster processor and more ram which are good for future proofing. I love the nexus and am not bashing it in any way but the S3 is definitely a better phone.

c_hack

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm very happy with my GNexus overall. I actually do not like the oversized screen too much because its a pain to use one handed. The S3 is even worse. When I'm walking the dogs, or carrying anything its clumsy to use. I swap back and forth with an iPhone 4s and it has a better quality screen that either Samsung, better camera and is easier to use. The GNexus is great for customizing, widgets, nav, and ROMing. I wouldn't want the S3 because its locked down and overpriced. The GNexus is more than fast enough. I see no reason for a faster processor.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37