Rom for best battery life

Joemarsico

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Love this phone to death but battery is killing me can someone give me a Rom with the best battery life idc what it is I just want my phone to last longer then 6 hours at least 8 hours

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't think your ROM has anything to do with it. I have to airplane mode my phone at work because of weak signal. I've run multiple ROM's and there isn't a better than another out there. Bottom line is that the battery on this phone sucks.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Kernel and kernel settings are going to have more effect on battery life.. the ROM has little to no effect, really.

EDIT: as well as the usual factors like signal strength, etc...

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Going off of what 2def said, the following things will be your best friend when you need longer battery life:

CPU clock speed (underclocking)
CPU voltage (undervolting)
Signal management (LTE toggle, Airplane mode)​

Fewer clock cycles per second mean less power used, a lower voltage level means less power used per clock cycle and smart signal management is simply the most efficient method of power conservation for LTE-enabled devices.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
+1,000 on the kernel... Its the life line to everything and key to battery management

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a few things to say about this topic.

1st, i have had pretty good experiences with AOKP M1 build....the last AOKP 4.1.2. i flashed it last night and TRIED to kill my battery (trying to diagnose my terrible battery life on 4.2) and i couldn't do it in 6 hours. i made a 30 minute call, took some photosphere pics (4.2 transformation pack) lots of forum browsing, messaging ect. before i went to bed i was at 7 hours and 24% left with 1 hr 32 minutes screen on time. it was pretty solid for me.

2nd. there are LOTS of things that can effect battery life.
the main one is apps. when you are on the "cutting edge" of operating systems, some apps get forgotten about and dont get updated to work with your current OS. i had an app that would literally keep the phone clocked at 700 mhz all day long and suck my battery dry in a couple hours. once deleted, battery life bounced back. as long as you are rooted, it is fairly easy to pinpoint a problematic app. use "better battery stats" from the play store or XDA and check your partial wakelocks. there shouldn't be much in there above 2% unless you stream music. if there is, that is your problem app.
also check out "cpu spy" from the play store. make sure your phone is going into deep sleep. if not, there is an app keeping it awake or the kernal should be switched out.
signal, if you have terrible signal, that really chews through battery as well.

Kernel, yes, some kernels play better than others, but most of the time they all act pretty similar. but some do "deep sleep" better than others.

dobri002

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I've been pulling 8 minimum on the stable CM10 release. Brightness on auto. I have moderate To heavy use all day.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
There are two things that will give you longer battery life, 1) a WiFI connection, 2) a 3800ma battery. WiFI uses a lot less power than LTE so you should make sure you have a WiFI connection at home and at your office if possible. 2) There are a number of 3800ma batteries available for the Galaxy Nexus, I have both the Hyperion and the Trexcell, they look like they are really from the same manufacturer so you can buy either. The 3800ma batteries are available on Amazon for around $20.