Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 142
Like Tree91Likes
  1. #76  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    I'd be willing to dump Verizon if Google put out a 32 GB Nexus 4...

    Sent from my wireless telephonic device.
    Pollster likes this.
  2. #77  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    This Samsung/Verizon/Google phone was plagued by delays and drama for months before release. We were lucky this phone ever came to Verizon. Slow updates thy name is Verizon. Most Android phones still don't have Jelly Bean. I've had the phone a year now. I'm happy with it. Not sure what I'll do in the Summer.
    bigdaddytee likes this.
  3. #78  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by jova33 View Post
    Dude, I'm quick draw with my wallet, out the pocket, card in hand halfway through leaving the pocket, and bam!, already swiped. I'll race you with Google wallet...

    Sent from my wireless telephonic device.
    but you would already have unlocked wallet a few minutes before paying right? So then you just tap the phone and it's all done... lock and go no wallet needed...

    It's not the most wonderful thing ever but it certainly is quicker than pulling out a card

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by vivek615; 12-16-2012 at 04:22 AM.
  4. #79  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    1 this phone is obviously a "true" nexus to Google Think of all the bajillion Android devices out there... how many get their own binaries and images on AOSP?

    2. This thread may be redundant but we all have to accept that if you were a prospective buyer in 2011 who researched this phone then you would've been almost universally informed that quick updates a la nexus one were in the pipes... (though there were some scattered anxieties due to wallet etc.) it's unfortunate that there was a discrepancy between this and the reality

    It's no big deal and some minor hacking deals with it... but I wouldn't say that it's okay for Verizon to have sold contracts to people based on false beliefs.

    In addition Verizon's own PR people , do not often acknowledge that their testing cycle is the cause of the delays (their own nexus forum's regulars adamantly maintained that it was Google and Samsung who had issues to iron out last I saw)


    Then aain...I should also speculate that it's quite possible that the testing cycle is so long because of the significant number of people complaining of issues (plus the huge signal misconceptions)... Verizon may not have foreseen this issue

    The way I see it we still have a great device... and I'm more than satisfied

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2!
    Last edited by vivek615; 12-16-2012 at 04:40 AM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #80  
    pauldroidr2d2's Avatar

    Posts
    2,609 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by vivek615 View Post
    1 this phone is obviously a "true" nexus to Google Think of all the bajillion Android devices out there... how many get their own binaries and images on AOSP?

    2. This thread may be redundant but we all have to accept that if you were a prospective buyer in 2011 who researched this phone then you would've been almost universally informed that quick updates a la nexus one were in the pipes... (though there were some scattered anxieties due to wallet etc.) it's unfortunate that there was a discrepancy between this and the reality

    It's no big deal and some minor hacking deals with it... but I wouldn't say that it's okay for Verizon to have sold contracts to people based on false beliefs.

    In addition Verizon's own PR people , do not often acknowledge that their testing cycle is the cause of the delays (their own nexus forum's regulars adamantly maintained that it was Google and Samsung who had issues to iron out last I saw)


    Then aain...I should also speculate that it's quite possible that the testing cycle is so long because of the significant number of people complaining of issues (plus the huge signal misconceptions)... Verizon may not have foreseen this issue

    The way I see it we still have a great device... and I'm more than satisfied

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2!
    I don't give VZW a break on this. They can point fingers all they want at Google, or Samsung. But, the simple fact of the matter is, if that were the case, than nobody would have had the update pushed already.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
  6. #81  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Also, it doesn't matter who's fault the delays are. There are delays plain and simple. If you were sold a device that was "promised" updates then Verizon as the retailer is responsible for the faulty product. If I sold you a bottle of wine that I told you was fabulous and exactly what you were looking for and it turned out to not be the case then I am responsible for replacement with something that fits your needs. Misrepresentation is a problem.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Darth Spock likes this.
  7. #82  
    2defmouze's Avatar

    Posts
    5,825 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    A Nexus device promises you AOSP based updates straight from Google.. Nothing about speed of the updates.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 2:
  8. #83  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    There are two conflicting philosophies at work here. Google's philosophy is "Deploy early and deploy often." The "deploy often" is a requirement when deploying early so as to fix the bugs caused by deploying early. The phone company doesn't have that luxury. They have to make sure it works. They can't afford to have FCs on the phone app when someone is calling 911 while their child is dying in a car accident.

    I don't mind waiting as long as Verizon gets it right.
  9. #84  
    ConTejas's Avatar

    Posts
    830 Posts
    ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    There are two conflicting philosophies at work here. Google's philosophy is "Deploy early and deploy often." The "deploy often" is a requirement when deploying early so as to fix the bugs caused by deploying early. The phone company doesn't have that luxury. They have to make sure it works. They can't afford to have FCs on the phone app when someone is calling 911 while their child is dying in a car accident.

    I don't mind waiting as long as Verizon gets it right.
    You wait for VZW upates? Sir, your pants are on fire
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #85  
    pauldroidr2d2's Avatar

    Posts
    2,609 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by booboolala2000 View Post
    Also, it doesn't matter who's fault the delays are. There are delays plain and simple. If you were sold a device that was "promised" updates then Verizon as the retailer is responsible for the faulty product. If I sold you a bottle of wine that I told you was fabulous and exactly what you were looking for and it turned out to not be the case then I am responsible for replacement with something that fits your needs. Misrepresentation is a problem.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    There were no promises from Verizon regarding the frequency or speed of updates. But, at this point that is irrelevent.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
  11. #86  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    I have the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 7 tablet. My tablet went from 4.1 to 4.2 the day after the code was released, but then near the beginning of December I received a bug fix that pushed it to 4.2.1

    If I am Verizon I am waiting to make sure 4.2.1 is bug free and then I will go to the trouble of testing and sending out an update and the update I send out will be 4.2.1 and not 4.2
  12. #87  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    A Nexus device promises you AOSP based updates straight from Google.. Nothing about speed of the updates.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Not necessarily... there are GSM nexus devices that are Samsung updated...

    And I don't remember who does toroplus

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  13. #88  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    I don't think it's a question of promises nobody was guaranteed anything and quickness is relative...

    I think we are doing way better than a lot of devices that are the same age


    None of that changes the reality that it was widely believed at launch that this phone would be updated by Google and not subjected to carrier delays.

    We got updates from Google but the second part?

    Now one can say we saw how the nexus s carrier models were treated and nobody should've had illusions...

    But they did. Phones probably sold on that illusion. Even tech media promoted the idea in every review... isn't that a shame?

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  14. #89  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    You wait for VZW upates? Sir, your pants are on fire
    My comment said nothing about what I do. I was comparing Google's motivation to Verizon's motivation.
  15. #90  
    ConTejas's Avatar

    Posts
    830 Posts
    ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    My comment said nothing about what I do. I was comparing Google's motivation to Verizon's motivation.
    This phone is only three upgrades behind now-vader.jpg
    pauldroidr2d2 likes this.
  16. #91  
    bigdaddytee's Avatar

    Posts
    703 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Good thing we're talking about the GNex, and not the Thunderbolt... or the Optimus V.

    Sent from the red headed stepchild of the Nexii.
  17. #92  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    There are two conflicting philosophies at work here. Google's philosophy is "Deploy early and deploy often." The "deploy often" is a requirement when deploying early so as to fix the bugs caused by deploying early. The phone company doesn't have that luxury. They have to make sure it works. They can't afford to have FCs on the phone app when someone is calling 911 while their child is dying in a car accident.

    I don't mind waiting as long as Verizon gets it right.
    Dude, that example...just...no. That's unnecessary.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  18. #93  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Taco View Post
    Dude, that example...just...no. That's unnecessary.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Why? It's valid.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  19. #94  
    Insp_Gadget's Avatar
    Inspector Gadget

    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiffyItalian View Post
    Why? It's valid.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Perhaps, but unnecessarily dramatic for simply proving the point.
    --Inspector Gadget

    Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Windows Mobile: Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Diamond
    WebOS: Palm Pre
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5
  20. #95  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by vivek615 View Post
    but you would already have unlocked wallet a few minutes before paying right? So then you just tap the phone and it's all done... lock and go no wallet needed...
    You suggest here that paying with Google Wallet happens instantaneously -- just tap and it's done -- but in my experience it's far from such a quick process. I can easily pay more quickly with my credit card, but I like using Google Wallet for the novelty of it.
  21. #96  
    Insp_Gadget's Avatar
    Inspector Gadget

    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    You suggest here that paying with Google Wallet happens instantaneously -- just tap and it's done -- but in my experience it's far from such a quick process. I can easily pay more quickly with my credit card, but I like using Google Wallet for the novelty of it.
    Works pretty instantly for me. I had a ball using it in Macy's for my holiday shopping.
    --Inspector Gadget

    Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Windows Mobile: Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Diamond
    WebOS: Palm Pre
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5
  22. #97  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    In regards to using Google Wallet, it is a novelty and can be cool but is not something I would rely on. My wallet in my pocket works 100% of the time, nothing about a smart phone works anywhere near 100% of the time. Like I said nothing wrong with liking or using Google Wallet, it just does not fall into my definition of important or needed. Not putting its use down just stating my personal opinion.
  23. #98  
    Insp_Gadget's Avatar
    Inspector Gadget

    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by smokie11 View Post
    In regards to using Google Wallet, it is a novelty and can be cool but is not something I would rely on. My wallet in my pocket works 100% of the time, nothing about a smart phone works anywhere near 100% of the time. Like I said nothing wrong with liking or using Google Wallet, it just does not fall into my definition of important or needed. Not putting its use down just stating my personal opinion.
    Google Wallet may be a novelty to you, and you've already said before that you wouldn't use it, so your opinion is noted.

    As someone who uses it regularly, I can attest that it works very well. It may not fall into your definition of important or needed, but it is an option... one that Verizon decided to take away from their subscribers (in favor of Verizon's own delayed solution). That's not just an opinion. It's a fact, regardless of how much Verizon may say otherwise.

    I'm not saying it's important enough an issue to leave Verizon or take up arms, but I'm also not going to tell people that they shouldn't be upset about their choices being hindered just because my use case (or yours) may differ. That would be arrogant presumption. I'm sure that's not your intent, either.

    I will say (and this part is indeed my opinion) that when companies put their bottom line before customer's best interests, and those customers don't voice their dissatisfaction, it's hard to blame a company for continuing to screw said customer. After all, companies are in business to make money at the consumer's expense.

    Verizon: "Shut up, bend over and take this service the way I say."

    Complaisant customer: "Thank you. May I have another?"

    Just my opinion.
    --Inspector Gadget

    Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Windows Mobile: Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Diamond
    WebOS: Palm Pre
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5
  24. #99  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Verizon sux. Period. They are slower than death to approve updates - if you ever get the update at all. Strike one.

    Now you can't use the Nexus phones Google sells straight from their site. Strike two.

    Since you can't purchase phones from Google and use on Verizon, that means a contract. Strike three.

    As soon as my contract is up, I'm bolting for another carrier that can use the Google sold Nexus phones where I can upgrade when I want and get updates straight from Google.

    Die Verizon Die. You better hope no one ever sends me a customer survey.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  25. #100  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    As someone who uses it regularly, I can attest that it works very well. It may not fall into your definition of important or needed, but it is an option... one that Verizon decided to take away from their subscribers (in favor of Verizon's own delayed solution). That's not just an opinion. It's a fact, regardless of how much Verizon may say otherwise.
    I'm not saying it's important enough an issue to leave Verizon or take up arms, but I'm also not going to tell people that they shouldn't be upset about their choices being hindered just because my use case (or yours) may differ. That would be arrogant presumption. I'm sure that's not your intent, either.Just my opinion.
    You are right, it is about having the option to use or not. Verizon takes that away and that is a fact. :-)
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Am I the only one that thinks this phone is a complete POS?
    By prolongExistence in forum Motorola Admiral
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-21-2012, 01:07 PM
  2. Now That I Finally Got A Good One This Phone Is Great !
    By AndroidXTC in forum Droid RAZR MAXX
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2012, 08:36 PM
  3. This phone is a champ!
    By Romoko in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2010, 08:18 PM
  4. I'm impressed. This phone is simply wonderful.
    By Night Train in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 09:20 PM
  5. Suck it up.. This phone is Magical (maybe)
    By RTim3PO in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 08:30 PM

Posting Permissions

B