Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

Quote Originally Posted by jova33 View Post
    Well I'll be watching it.

And the point people make about the iPhone and Verizon is that Verizon basically had to beg for the iPhone, so Apple laid out their terms.
    Then people say that nexus devices aren't as high demand as the iPhone, so Verizon doesn't have to beg for it.

But Google owns Motorola, Google makes android OS, and they bring Verizon a lot of business with that. Why can't they flex some muscle and get the nexus 4 on Verizon?

Sent from my wireless telephonic device.
    Verizon did nothing magical with Apple, they pulled the same crap when the iPhone 4 was first released.

When all the OTHER iOS devices got iOS 4.3; the Verizon iPhone 4 was stuck on iOS 4.2.x

We never DID get a 4.3 update, months later it FINALLY got updated when 5.0 came out. They COMPLETELY skipped the Verizon iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3

And for a couple of months, it DID introduce genuine app compatibility issues. "This app requires iOS 4.3 or later" was a common error I got used to seeing.

Global Posts
    364 Global Posts

I didn't notice Verizon holding out on Apple updates. My wife is an iUser and usually whenever I read about iPhone getting a new update, her phone got the update.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
    Verizon did nothing magical with Apple, they pulled the same crap when the iPhone 4 was first released.

When all the OTHER iOS devices got iOS 4.3; the Verizon iPhone 4 was stuck on iOS 4.2.x

We never DID get a 4.3 update, months later it FINALLY got updated when 5.0 came out. They COMPLETELY skipped the Verizon iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3

And for a couple of months, it DID introduce genuine app compatibility issues. "This app requires iOS 4.3 or later" was a common error I got used to seeing.
    The issue cited for the Nexus update delays originally was an issue with the VZW LTE radios, registration or some such thing. Since the iPhones (until the latest version) had no 4G LTE radios in them that wouldn't be an issue.

ROM
    Full AOSP 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by bn777 View Post
    The issue cited for the Nexus update delays originally was an issue with the VZW LTE radios, registration or some such thing. Since the iPhones (until the latest version) had no 4G LTE radios in them that wouldn't be an issue.
    I was under the impression that it was CDMA related, because CDMA tech is proprietary.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    364 Global Posts

Yeah, Verizon would release there "test" OTA updates to a select few devices and it'd stay in the test phase for months.

There's a guy over at XDA with a Verizon GNex test device. That's how we get the Verizon stock images like a month before Verizon pushes it to the rest.
    So it goes to the test devices like a month after the GSM GNex gets it, then two months after that it goes to the rest. Even if there's no changes to the radios in the OTA, Verizon still delays pushing the updates.

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

If Verizon stops selling the Nexus, does that mean they'll stop pushing updates for this phone? And didn't I hear something about some kind of legislation making it illegal to root in the near future? Wow, such a promising device turning into a real dead end.

Quote Originally Posted by NoICon View Post
    If Verizon stops selling the Nexus, does that mean they'll stop pushing updates for this phone? And didn't I hear something about some kind of legislation making it illegal to root in the near future? Wow, such a promising device turning into a real dead end.
    It's not legislation, there's no voting by elected officials. The Library of Congress was the one to make it a felony to unlock your device.

That's right, felony. First offence $500,000 fine, 5 years in prison, or both. Second offence is doubled.

Sent from my shattered, re-stocked VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    NoICon 

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Answer to both questions is No.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    NoICon 
    ConTejas likes this.

The unlocking they're referring to has nothing to do with unlocking the boot loader or rooting the phone. It only refers to unlocking the SIM chip and changing carriers while the phone is still under contract. The word "unlock" is contextual.
    Thanked by 3:

Did this today just so I could get an LOL

Sent via my GNex on Xparent Blue Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This phone is only three upgrades behind now-uploadfromtaptalk1359497182009.jpg  
    Thanked by 2:
    m.c.rime likes this.

smartphones become almost obsolete 12 months after introduction....

fortunately, the Galaxy Nexus, even the Verizon, last much longer than that!

I haven't kept up with the thread. Shouldn't the Verizon Galaxy Nexus be four updates behind by now?
    My Verizon Galaxy Nexus is used as a spare only(doesn't even have a SIM card in it anymore).
    ConTejas likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #112  

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Answer to both questions is No.

VZW is allowing updates to be pushed to the GN?
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    Of course they are. After they're approved. Nothing has changed. The phone will continue to get updates just like it has.

Of course they are. After they're approved. Nothing has changed. The phone will continue to get updates just like it has.

I'm so confused now.... which version is supposed to be the newest update
    that we don't have on the VZW Galaxy Nexus yet? I know Sprint just got a
    new update, but does the GSM Galaxy Nexus have an even newer update???

Thanks!

They're allowing OTAs for the Thunderbolt which is considerably older...
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Yeah we are currently on 4.2.1 stock now. Wtf big red haha

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #117  

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Exactly, nothing has changed. They still haven't allowed Google to push the update to the VZW Nexus.

I'm going to wager that now that VZW is no longer selling the device, the already ridiculously long time period for them to approve updates will get even longer.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Exactly, nothing has changed. They still haven't allowed Google to push the update to the VZW Nexus.

I'm going to wager that now that VZW is no longer selling the device, the already ridiculously long time period for them to approve updates will get even longer.
    It will come when it does. Don't know why anyone is still acting surprised that it takes forever for VZW to approve updates, it's been this way since the phone arrived.

I will agree with you that you may see the wait extend a bit, mostly because Verizon only has a fixed amount of resources they allocate to approving updates for phones to push, and it's logical to assume that older phones receive less of these resources than newer phones. Such is life.

Johnly likes this.

It will come when it does. Don't know why anyone is still acting surprised that it takes forever for VZW to approve updates, it's been this way since the phone arrived.

I will agree with you that you may see the wait extend a bit, mostly because Verizon only has a fixed amount of resources they allocate to approving updates for phones to push, and it's logical to assume that older phones receive less of these resources than newer phones. Such is life.

"Verizon takes such a long time because it wants to test the updates thoroughly. They do not want the customers to
    get software with bugs and experience unnecessary delays. The goal of Verizon Wireless is to provide the best
    customer experience in the industry. "

No, I didn't write that... it almost made me want to throw up when i read that canned response
    from a Verizon rep.

Is anyone here actually waiting for something specific out of this OTA?

Quote Originally Posted by Pollster View Post
    Is anyone here actually waiting for something specific out of this OTA?
    good point... what's new in the latest update that's not available on the current version of the Verizon Galaxy Nexus?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #122  

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Since when is discussing an on-going problem with VZW classified as surprise?

My thought exactly. I get anxious the second I hear OTA coming soon just because it is new. But for me, this 4.2.1 isn't like we are getting a 5.0 Revamp or anything awesome like it. How often will many of us actually use photosphere?? Cool but novelty at best...

P.S. I hope it comes soon! Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Since when is discussing an on-going problem with VZW classified as surprise?
    If it isn't surprise, then it's just retreading stuff that's been Verizon's policy for ages and has been hashed out on the forum since this phone was released. I personally don't think either make much sense at this point, but you are free to discuss it further if you deem it necessary.

I only stepped in to address concerns that the phone would not be upgraded any further and decided to opine a bit on the topic at hand, don't mean any offense.
    Johnly likes this.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #125  

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

If it isn't surprise, then it's just retreading stuff that's been Verizon's policy for ages and has been hashed out on the forum since this phone was released. I personally don't think either make much sense at this point, but you are free to discuss it further if you deem it necessary.

I only stepped in to address concerns that the phone would not be upgraded any further and decided to opine a bit on the topic at hand, don't mean any offense.
    The logic you are using can be applied to a fair percentage of the discussions in this particular section of the forum. I'm sorry, but to claim that people are displaying some sort of surprise on an issue like this is somewhat insulting. It minimizes legitimate feelings and opinions regarding this particular subject.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast